Black Entertainment : JOHN COLTRANE - SAXOPHONIST SUPREME...

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
I urge all young people - and the many who are older, and have never heard his playing - to listen to this Jazz Giant... He will transform you, and how you listen to music forever more, and I guarantee that... You cannot listen to his My Favorite Things, and not be moved to hear MORE of him and his superb band, which featured McCoy Tyner on piano, Elvin Jones on drum kit, and Jimmy Garrett on bass... All of them TITANS of the music in their own right...

I cannot explain to you in words what power and majesty this great man produced in his playing, but, as a musician, he was the equivalent of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, using his instrument to move people spiritually and emotionally... Some like Charlie Bird Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, and others...and are fans of their music for music's sake... I am too... But when it comes to bringing a certain transcendent spiritual power to their music, John Coltrane stands alone for me - for me... He is AWESOME!(smile!)

Peace!
isaiah

INDEED....TRANE WAS A GIANT....
"Giant Steps" and the album with him and Johnny Hartman was legend...."My Favorite Things" stays on the CD player.....
But we cant forget that he learned so much from Miles....and Monk...and that McCoy and Elvin set up those innovations....
As a musician, I know that in most cases, a single note instrument (sax) sounds only as good as its accompaniment (bass, piano, drums)....
in that case, Trane picked a monster line-up.

abstract219 said:
INDEED....TRANE WAS A GIANT....
"Giant Steps" and the album with him and Johnny Hartman was legend...."My Favorite Things" stays on the CD player.....
But we cant forget that he learned so much from Miles....and Monk...and that McCoy and Elvin set up those innovations....
As a musician, I know that in most cases, a single note instrument (sax) sounds only as good as its accompaniment (bass, piano, drums)....
in that case, Trane picked a monster line-up.

Brother Abstract, just added to your rep for your comments... All on point, and that's why I was careful to point out his sidemen.. The same can be said for John, and how he and Cannonball helped Miles in his quints... That's JAZZ and the African Tradition - without goin' all deep into it... But that Quartet was STOOPID in it's time, and I wish our young people can be connected with them, and what they brought to the library of African American and World culture...

I remember a story Wayne Shorter told about Miles Davis... Someone told Miles that Coltrane wasn't Nuffin, "man, he playin' all them scrambled eggs..." Miles looked at the guy, and said, "yeah, but it's how he scrambles them eggs..." Whew! Leave it to Miles to sum things up so beautifully!(smile!) Thanks for your comments, brother Abstract219!

Peace!
isaiah

Isaiah said:
Brother Abstract, just added to your rep for your comments... All on point, and that's why I was careful to point out his sidemen.. The same can be said for John, and how he and Cannonball helped Miles in his quints... That's JAZZ and the African Tradition - without goin' all deep into it... But that Quartet was STOOPID in it's time, and I wish our young people can be connected with them, and what they brought to the library of African American and World culture...

I remember a story Wayne Shorter told about Miles Davis... Someone told Miles that Coltrane wasn't Nuffin, "man, he playin' all them scrambled eggs..." Miles looked at the guy, and said, "yeah, but it's how he scrambles them eggs..." Whew! Leave it to Miles to sum things up so beautifully!(smile!) Thanks for your comments, brother Abstract219!

Peace!
isaiah

Thanx brotha Isaiah...and i will add to yours....
Im laughin my *** off bout that Miles quote....Yep, that's Miles.
Here in Philly, we got the John Coltrane Institute. He and McCoy studied and lived here for years. John used to come back home, to see his family, and it was like Moses parted the Red Sea....

Alice still has homes in Philly. His son Ravi lives here.
I try to school not only the young but the peeps in my age group (30-45), but .....not trying to offend anyone, but they stuck on that "smooth jazz" crap......still promoting Kenny G as the greatest saxophonist...and this is our people, Bro Isaiah...

Trane Lives.
What seems to be even sadder, is that the white boys and the academics tell us Trane was a master....even the academics and musicologists were amazed at his lung power...how his circular breathing could stretch a line forever.......

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back