Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Discussion,

... Well, is he or isn't he, Family?

Joel Osteen Says He's Not A Prosperity Gospel Minister

5f42fc678ed1ef15550f6a706700d234_original.jpg

Megachurch pastor Joel Osteen and his wife and co-pastor of Victoria of Lakewood Church joined HuffPost Live host Marc Lamont Hill to talk Night of Hope 2014, when the conversation turned to his personal wealth, and whether he believes in the prosperity gospel.

Christianity Today defines the prosperity as "an aberrant theology that teaches God rewards faith—and hefty tithing—with financial blessings."

click for video:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...spel_n_5433266.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Hmmmm. Well now, yes, those quotes from Joyce Meyer were really out there.

But, these 2 quotes from Osteen are Bible-based in seed-time/harvest, doing alms/charity, ask/receive, faith, grace and favor.

Joel Osteen and Prosperity Gospel

The Prosperity Gospel is much like all other religions in that it uses faith, it uses doing good things to leverage material blessings from God. Essentially, use God to get things from God.

"God has already done everything He's going to do. The ball is now in your court. If you want success, if you want wisdom, if you want to be prosperous and healthy, you're going to have to do more than meditate and believe; you must boldly declare words of faith and victory over yourself and your family" From Your Best Life Now, p.132

"If you are believing for your child to find God, go help somebody else's child to develop a relationship with God. If you're struggling financially, go out and help somebody who has less than you have ... f you want to reap financial blessings, you must sow financial seeds in the lives of others ... If you want to see healing and restoration come to your life, go out and help somebody else get well" From Your Best Life Now, pp. 224, 250-51​

And this Pastor Rick kinda comes off like he's jealous/envious and angry that he didn't get blessed with a house he wanted.

But, as with Ruth, in the words of Jakes, "Favor aint fair."

Pastor Rick Henderson
Pastor, blogger and grace addict

Conclusion

When I was in seminary, Heather and I were poor. There were seasons in which I worked 70+ hours a week while taking a full-time Master's load. There were times that I had to sleep every other day so that I could get all my work done. This was an extended period of exhausting financial stress.

During this time, I remember reading something from Joel Osteen. He and his wife claimed by faith a new house that they wanted. Joel was unsure, but his wife Victoria was confident. And she lovingly chastised him for his lack of faith. Sometime later, they purchased that house. Still in seminary, my wife and I were walking through our dream neighborhood and that was playing through my mind. As I walked through the neighborhood, looking at all the homes, I wanted so badly for what Joel is teaching to be true. I don't know if you can understand how desperately I wanted it to be true.

I wanted relief and I wanted more. But I knew that it wasn't true. I knew that my exhaustion and desperation made me emotionally vulnerable to this false Gospel. I'm educated and well read. I've haven't just read the Bible, I've translated large chunks of it from the original Hebrew and Greek. I think I understand it. I think I have a relatively significant level of discernment. But for a moment, I was emotionally vulnerable to this false doctrine.....​

When you say, "from what I hear," is that what you hear from others or from what you've heard directly from the source?

From what I hear of his sermons, its advice of positive reinforcement of life and the teachings of Jesus Christ actively in life...
But the man through these teachings is very prosperous.

When you say, "from what I hear," is that what you hear from others or from what you've heard directly from the source?

From his ministry first hand. I was in the stands when he first came to Madison Square Garden years ago. From his televised messages.
And from my eyes observing how he transformed the old Houston Rocket Stadium into a church as I drove my semi passed it.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back