PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Bobby Jindal Appeals Ruling On Bernette Johnson, Black Supreme Court Justice

Jindal Appeals Ruling On Black Supreme Court Justice
www.huffingtonpost.com
By Kathy Finn NEW ORLEANS, Sept 8 (Reuters) - Lawyers for Republican Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal have challenged a U.S. federal judge's ruling

NEW ORLEANS, Sept 8 (Reuters) - Lawyers for Republican Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal have challenged a U.S. federal judge's ruling that would allow a black state supreme court justice to become the court's next chief justice.

Jindal, who is Indian-American, on Friday asked an appeals court to review a lower-court decision to allow black justice Bernette Johnson's to succeed a white chief justice retiring next year.

The dispute over whether Johnson should be the first black justice to head the Louisiana court has highlighted long-standing racial tensions in the state.

The state constitution stipulates that the longest-serving associate justice takes the top post. Johnson began serving on the state Supreme Court in 1994 while white justice Jeffrey Victory did not join the court until 1995.

But Johnson was initially appointed to the Supreme Court, not elected, as part of a state settlement with the federal government over racial discrimination that expanded the court to seven justices from six.

The other members of the current court, who are all white, contend that Johnson does not have the seniority to be the next chief justice. Johnson's colleagues on the court say that her first six years as an appointed justice should not count toward her seniority.

Current chief justice Catherine Kimball attempted to resolve the dispute by asking members of the court to file briefs arguing the issue and having outside judges rule on succession.

But Johnson took her case to federal court, asking that the 20-year-old voting rights case be reopened and that her full tenure on the Supreme Court be reaffirmed.

In a statement released by one of his lawyers, Jindal said the matter should be settled by the Louisiana Supreme Court and the federal government should not be involved.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fine1952 Black People Politics : President Obama Appeals 2 Pope Francis Black People Politics 6
RAPTOR Black People : US Court of Appeals: The Internet is a Plantation, With Comcast, Verizon, AT&T Its Masters Black People Open Forum 1
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : U.S. Appeals Court Strikes Down FCC Rule Black Entertainment 1
D Red Cross appeals to blacks for donations Black Health and Wellness 5
Kadijah Black People : Cops rushing to white altercation, stops to arrest, lie on, &wrongly imprision blk man for 15 months Black People Open Forum 0
Kadijah Black Education / Schools : Racial Profiling: Blk students arrested; whites get to party on Black Education / Schools 18
Kadijah Black People : Paula Deen has job openings for blk men at her wedding Black People Open Forum 55
Kemetstry Science and Technology : STUDY REVEALS WHY HIV RATES HIGHER AMONGST GAY BLK MEN Science and Technology 21
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Blk Beat club 054 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
PoeticManifesta Black Jokes Humor : Prez bush expressing his ideas on blk folk.. ahahhah Black Jokes Humor 5
PoeticManifesta Black People : do you trust blk folk? your brothers n sisters? Black People Open Forum 31
Kemetstry Black People : Blk Men Attacked by Crazed PMS women! Black People Open Forum 66
PoeticManifesta Black People : Does this story show that Bush cares about blk ppl? Elderly man rescued 18days later! Black People Open Forum 4
daroc Black People : BLK Experience Black People Open Forum 18
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Happy Birthday Blk Kween Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Bishop Black Poetry : Happy Birthday Blk Kween Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
W Black Poetry : Who Is BLK KWEEN? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on pdiane's profile.
Welcome Home Sister! :love:
pdiane wrote on panafrica's profile.
Hey Destee, thank you for still being here! You are loved!
pdiane wrote on panafrica's profile.
I'm Black on Destee, I feel at home! It's been a while! Soooo in 2004 I married my Senegalese Husband, when I first went to Senegal, I loved, it! The people were hospitable and my husband's family was very kind! Well I've been there many times now, have taken African Americans, well over 150 and it has been an amazing experience!
Free as free can be
Follow @EmptyWo76031418 on twitter.
Thanks.