Black People : Jim Crow (U.S.Apartheid)

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Sep 6, 2004.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    A time in the not too distant past, that we should not forget.

Jim Crow (U.S.Apartheid)

Starting in the 1880s, states throughout the South passed laws which economically favored European Americans, giving this group a huge, controllable, and designated labor force and preventing African American citizens from improving their status or achieving economic and social equality.
    Jim Crow was the name of the racial caste system which operated primarily, but not exclusively in southern and border states, between 1877 and the mid-1960s. Jim Crow was more than a series of rigid anti-Black laws. It was a way of life. Under Jim Crow, African Americans were relegated to the status of second class citizens. Jim Crow represented the legitimization of anti-Black racism. Many Christian ministers and theologians taught that Whites were the Chosen people, Blacks were cursed to be servants, and God supported racial segregation. Craniologists, eugenicists, phrenologists, and Social Darwinists, at every educational level, buttressed the belief that Blacks were innately intellectually and culturally inferior to Whites. Pro-segregation politicians gave eloquent speeches on the great danger of integration: the mongrelization of the White race. Newspaper and magazine writers routinely referred to Blacks as n-gg--s, coons, and darkies; and worse, their articles reinforced anti-Black stereotypes. Even children's games portrayed Blacks as inferior beings (see 'GAMES' below). All major societal institutions reflected and supported the oppression of Blacks...Click here to continue

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother OldSoul, sometimes i think you are the only cat on the same page wit me, bruh(smile!) How can we, in your sage wisdom, get more young folk to understand the seriousness of what OUR ANCESTORS suffered under Jim Crow??? They cannot wrap their brains around what it is to risk death going into a Whites Only bathroom, or going into the shoe store, trying on a pair of Nikes, and having the clerk tell you that you MUST BUY THE SHOES, or risk being arrested... They cannot know what it is to HAVE to smile and be polite toward anyone white, or risk deadly consequences...

Charles Evers spoke of his mother always buying stuff she didn't need from a old white snakeoil salesmen... He didn't say it, but he implied that she was afraid to turn the guy down... Whew! That hurt me to my heart to read that :cry: I remember that my mother and I, as I became a teenager, would actually get into clashes about her smiling so much... I now realize where I was coming from on a subconscious, as well as, conscious level, and it hurts... I wish that i could get this across to my own babies... They say they got, and it looks like they got, but I just don't think so, man(smile!) Oh, well, I guess we'll just keep coming back to the well, trying to find the solution somehow, some way... Jim Crow was why our ancestors went to warring from the 1880's to now - not because they wanted to sit at the lunch counter with some white folks... I don't even think Malcolm understood that...

Peace!
    isaiah

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I don't think brother Malcolm understood that at the beginning, but he did shorty before the end (his end). Brother Malcolm fully supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act...wanted to attend its signing. This was another reason for his split from the NOI.