Black People : JIM CROW MUSEUM OF RACIST MEMORABILIA...

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/menu.htm

The Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia is both a real place and a virtual site. The actual museum is located on the campus of Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Michigan. Dr. John Thorp, Social Sciences division head, schedules all tours. He can be contacted at (231) 591-5873, or at thorpj@ferris.edu. We recognize that some people are unable to visit the Jim Crow Museum; therefore, we have created this brief virtual tour of the museum.

Contact Dr. David Pilgrim, Curator

davepilgri@aol.com

Objectives of the Jim Crow Museum:
Collect, exhibit and preserve objects and collections related to racial segregation, civil rights and anti-Black caricatures.

Promote the scholarly examination of historical and contemporary expressions of racism.

Serve as a teaching resource for Ferris State University courses which deal, directly or indirectly, with the issues of race and ethnicity.

Serve as an educational resource for scholars and teachers at the state, national and international levels.

Promote racial understanding and healing.

Serve as a resource for civil rights and human rights organizations.

Brother Isaiah ... thank you so much for this. I've spent quite a bit of time reading the site you've shared with us, and ... gosh ... it's overwhelming to say the least. I just started a thread in the Sister's Forum linking to the article they have there titled "Jezebel Stereotype." I think it's a must read for every one of us, but especially my Sisters.

I'm sure i'll be spending more time there.

Thanks again.

:heart:

Destee

Destee, I just read the page you posted on the Jezebel imagery of African women, and I copy/pasted this as an appetizer... Every African man needs to understand what African women endured during slavery... it just gives so much more meaning to me about treating sistas with a stronger sensitivity than we've shown... I think Black men have imbibed a lot of the Jezebel stereotypes about our own sisters, so most of us need a wakeup call... This provides it - I think...

"People make decisions based on the options they have and the options that they perceive. The objective realities of slavery and the slaves' subjective interpretations of the institution both led female slaves to engage "voluntarily" in sexual unions with Whites, especially slavers, their sons, and their overseers. A slave who refused the sexual advances of her slaver risked being sold, beaten, raped, and having her "husband" or children sold. Many slave women conceded to sexual relations with Whites, thereby reinforcing the belief that Black women were lustful and available.

The idea that Black women were naturally and inevitably sexually promiscuous was reinforced by several features of the slavery institution. Slaves, whether on the auction block or offered privately for sale, were often stripped naked and physically examined. In theory, this was done to insure that they were healthy, able to reproduce, and, equally important, to look for whipping scars – the presence of which implied that the slave was rebellious. In practice, the stripping and touching of slaves had a sexually exploitative,14 sometimes sadistic function. Nakedness, especially among women in the 18th and 19th centuries, implied lack of civility, morality, and sexual restraint even when the nakedness was forced. Slaves, of both sexes and all ages, often wore few clothes or clothes so ragged that their legs, thighs, and chests were exposed. Conversely, Whites, especially women, wore clothing over most of their bodies. The contrast between the clothing reinforced the beliefs that White women were civilized, modest, and sexually pure, whereas Black women were uncivilized, immodest, and sexually aberrant.

Black slave women were also frequently pregnant. The institution of slavery depended on Black women to supply future slaves. By every method imaginable, slave women were "encouraged" to reproduce. Some slavers, for example, offered a new pig for each child born to a slave family, a new dress to the slave woman for each surviving infant, or no work on Saturdays to Black women who produced six children.15 Young Black girls were encouraged to have sex as "anticipatory socialization" for their later status as "breeders." When they did reproduce, their fecundity was seen, as proof of their insatiable sexual appetites."

Peace!
Isaiah

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back