Black Women : Jezebel Stereotype (No Gender preference)

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Goddess Auset333, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    Perhaps she remembers
    her great-great grandmother
    who wanted to protest
    but only rolled her eyes
    and willed herself not to scream
    when the white man
    mounted her from behind.
    --Andrea Williams1

The portrayal of Black women as lascivious by nature is an enduring stereotype. The descriptive words associated with this stereotype are singular in their focus: seductive, alluring, worldly, beguiling, tempting, and lewd. Historically, White women, as a category, were portrayed as models of self-respect, self-control, and modesty – even sexual purity, but Black women were often portrayed as innately promiscuous, even predatory. This depiction of Black women is signified by the name Jezebel.2

K. Sue Jewell, a contemporary sociologist, conceptualized the Jezebel as a tragic mulatto – "thin lips, long straight hair, slender nose, thin figure and fair complexion."3 This conceptualization is too narrow. It is true that the "tragic mulatto" and "Jezebel" share the reputation of being sexually seductive, and both are antithetical to the desexualized "Mammy" caricature; nevertheless, it is a mistake to assume that only, or even mainly, fair-complexioned Black women were sexually objectified by the larger American society. From the early 1630s to the present, Black American women of all shades have been portrayed as hypersexual "bad-black-girls."4

Jewell's conceptualization is based on a kernel of historical truth. Many of the slavery-era Blacks sold into prostitution were mulattoes. Also, freeborn light-skinned Black women sometimes became the willing concubines of wealthy White southerners. This system, called placage, involved a formal arrangement for the White suitor/customer to financially support the Black woman and her children in exchange for her long-term sexual services. The White men often met the Black women at "Quadroon Balls," a genteel sex market.

The belief that Blacks are sexually lewd predates the institution of slavery in America. European travelers to Africa found scantily clad natives. This semi nudity was misinterpreted as lewdness. White Europeans, locked into the racial ethnocentrism of the 17th century, saw African polygamy and tribal dances as proof of the African's uncontrolled sexual lust. Europeans were fascinated by African sexuality. William Bosman described the Black women on the coast of Guinea as "fiery" and "warm" and "so much hotter than the men."5 William Smith described African women as "hot constitution'd Ladies" who "are continually contriving stratagems how to gain a lover."6 The genesis of anti-Black sexual arch types emerged from the writings of these and other Europeans: the Black male as brute and potential rapist; the Black woman, as Jezebel whore.

Cont-
    http://www.ferris.edu/news/jimcrow/jezebel/

2. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    "Junious Ricardo Stanton" writes:

The psychopathic European oppressors had to attempt to justify their
    depravity so they cast Africans in the role of subhuman, immoral, loose
    and promiscuous when in fact those images and ideas were nothing more
    than a psychological projection of themselves, their own barbarism,
    their observable and documented lack of morality and civil behavior.

The real tragedy is that we have internalized those images and notions and
    now have "black" people making millions perpetuating the same garage
    that dehumanized us and willingly foisting these images, values and
    ideas on another generation of African people only this time to a world
    wide audience. Good post. Stay strong!

3. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    The conditioning is strong and slippery.

4. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    I agree, but I have a question for all the sisters. Currently I'm helping out with some research on black women and their sexuality, and I'm noticing how some of the women seem to be struggling to identify with being "sexy" out of fear of being seen as "slutty." How do you find that balance in a world which always portrays you as being inferior?

5. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    anyone have an answer to the question I posted???, lol

6. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    I’ll go 1st.

Sexy and slutty is in the eye of the beholder. And since everyone has different eyes, I try to only satisfy self. Now there are restrictions that I have willingly accepted, but I would never say that other ladies who did not follow my personal restrictions were either sexy or slutty. Oh yeah, I don’t accept the world’s definition of who I am. That’s me.

7. Soncerat

Soncerat Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Jezebel Stereotype

Heck I have been known to be more than that at different intervals of my life. I was a jezebel from 15-21, from 22-27 a jezebel at night and a soccer mom during the day and from 27-36 a freak, and now a nun.

All this questioning and dissecting that people are doing is taking the fun out of everything. Life is a process and series of cycles that we must endure to take us from youth to maturity. What we need to do is learn to connect and share our real selves with each other and keep it moving.

If we keep questioning, second-guessing and judging we're going to miss out on the real reason we are here...to LIVE!

8. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    jezabel...

when i think of[jezabel]i remember the old[bette davis]movie and she was white,i've never thought of black women as such.

9. MasterDJ

MasterDJ Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +48
    If we keep questioning, second-guessing and judging we're going to miss out on the real reason we are here...to LIVE![/QUOTE]

Soncerat,
    Your statement, in my opinoin contradicts itself. It is extremely necessary for Black people, and in this case Black Women, to question and judge everything that they do because without that they simply walk in ignorance which we all know is a very dangerous thing. However, you did state that we are here to Live which is as true a statement as any, but without questioning and judging you will think that you are living but in reality you are dying. For example, if I eat fried chicken, greens and corn every night, in essence I can say, "I don't care about no diet i am trying to live and have a good time doing," but in reality my diet is actually killing me even faster! If we are here to "Live" then we must make decisions that give us life in the spiritual, physical, psychological, and emotional realm which can only come from decoding these Jezebel stereotypes and to begin making pure life changing decisions. Keep your heads up my sisters...
    Yo Brother, MasterDJ

Users found this page by searching for:

1. jezebel stereotype definition

2. Perhaps she remembers her great-great grandmother who wanted to protest but only rolled her eyes and willed herself not to scream when the white man mounted her from behind.