Black Spirituality Religion : JESUS WAS MARRIED, SAYS BISHOP...

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Aqil, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    JESUS WAS MARRIED, SAYS BISHOP

By Clark Morphew
    Knight-Ridder

When the Rev. John Shelby Spong, Episcopal Bishop of Newark, NJ, writes a book, you can bet it will be a “church-boiler” but also thoughtful and aimed at the future.

For instance, in his book, Born of Woman: A Bishop Rethinks the Birth of Jesus, he speculates that Jesus may have been married. And of course, Bishop Spong says, the woman he was married to was Mary Magdalene, whom the church has painted with a wide-scarlet brush down through the centuries.

Bishop Spong says that such negative views of Mary Magdalene are pure nonsense. "The only indications that Mary Magdalene even had problems," he says, "are a short Gospel passage that says she was a sinner and another passage that says Jesus cast seven demons out of the woman."

But the Bishop sees other positive indications that Mary Magdalene could have been the wife of Jesus. For instance, when the Gospel writers list the contingent of women who followed Jesus and the disciples from town to town, Mary Magdalene is always mentioned first.

Given the many prohibitions on single Jewish women in those days, Bishop Spong says that the women following Jesus could have been mothers, wives or prostitutes. Bishop Spong thinks that Peter and some of the other disciples had wives who followed along. What then was the role of Mary Magdalene?

The Bible says the women “provided for them out of their means.” And in every account Mary Magdalene is the central figure. Even at the tomb after the crucifixion, the focus is on Mary Magdalene. She tells an angel inside the tomb that someone has taken away her “lord,” which would have been a common reference to a husband in those days, Bishop Spong says. And when she sees a mysterious figure outside the tomb whom she believes is a gardener, she lays claim to the body of Jesus which, of course, would be the duty of a man’s wife.

Bishop Spong, a well-known and controversial liberal, talks about the narrative that describes the moment after the resurrection when Jesus sees Mary and greets her by name. Mary responds, “Rabboni,” an intimate reference to Jesus’ teaching role. Apparently, Mary then moves toward Jesus to embrace him, and Jesus says, “Do not embrace me” or: “Do not cling to me.” In Orthodox Jewish sects, the bishop says, women did not embrace men unless they were married – and then only in the privacy of their homes.

Bishop Spong contends that the wedding at Cana in Galilee was actually the wedding of Jesus and Mary Magdalene. The bishop notes that the only likely time that Jesus’ mother and all of his friends would be at the same wedding was when Jesus himself got married. And he wonders why Jesus’ mother became so upset when the wine was running low. Probably because she was the hostess of her own son’s wedding.

Bishop Spong concludes his chapter on the married Jesus with a charge that the real Mary Magdalene was excised from holy stories as a way of denying women their true sexual nature. “By the turn of the 1st century, there was in the life of the Christian church a clear need to remove Mary Magdalene, the flesh-and-blood woman who was at Jesus’ side in life and in death, and to replace her with a sexless woman, the virgin mother. The record of history is that this was accomplished by portraying Mary Magdalene as a prostitute and thus assassinating her character,” Bishop Spong writes.

2. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Biblical scholars have always had to accept the possibility that at the time of Jesus there was no city called “Nazareth.” They have resisted this possibility, it is true, and sometimes quite vigorously, but it definitely remains, as you may discover yourself by reference to the King James Version of the Bible or a standard Bible dictionary.

The city called “Nazareth” is not mentioned in the entire Old Testament or the Talmud. This is an argument from silence, but it is not negligible. Of far greater weight, however, is the silence of the great Jewish historian Josephus (ca. 37-95 AD). For besides being a widely traveled writer who never missed anything and who described voluminously all that he saw, Josephus never mentions the city of Nazareth in his writings.

There is, however, an ancient city named “Nazeret” in the ancient east African country of Abyssinia (now Ethiopia), about forty miles south of Addis Ababa. Not too far from Nazeret is a city called "Megdela."

Could it be that the Jesus of Nazereth and Mary Magdalene of the Bible are in reality Isa of Nazeret and Miriam of Megdela, Abyssinia?

3. mell

mell New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no use in debating about this issue. In the Bible James is the brother of Jesus. In does mention that clearly. However, in scripture it doesn't state anything about Mary Magdalene being the wife of Jesus. If you read the Holy Scriptures carefully remain in the Spirit.

4. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    We know that Jesus had a brother named James. However, many religious scholars now believe that James The Just was Jesus' earthly father. Check out the book titled, The Jesus Scroll by Donovan Joyce for further edification. Remember, the Bible says that Mary, the 14-year-old mother of Jesus, "was with child" when Joseph met her...

5. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Re: Mary Magdalene:

Bishop Spong speculates that Jesus may have been married. And of course, he says, the woman he was married to was Mary Magdalene, whom the church has painted with a wide-scarlet brush down through the centuries.

Bishop Spong says that such negative views of Mary Magdalene are pure nonsense. "The only indications that Mary Magdalene even had problems," he says, "are a short Gospel passage that says she was a sinner and another passage that says Jesus cast seven demons out of the woman."

But Bishop Spong sees other positive indications that Mary Magdalene could have been the wife of Jesus. For instance, when the Gospel writers list the contingent of women who followed Jesus and the disciples from town to town, Mary Magdalene is always mentioned first.

Given the many prohibitions on single Jewish women in those days, Bishop Spong says that the women following Jesus could have been mothers, wives or prostitutes. Bishop Spong thinks that Peter and some of the other disciples had wives who followed along. What then was the role of Mary Magdalene?

The Bible says the women “provided for them out of their means.” And in every account Mary Magdalene is the central figure. Even at the tomb after the crucifixion, the focus is on Mary Magdalene. She tells an angel inside the tomb that someone has taken away her “Lord,” which would have been a common reference to a husband in those days, Bishop Spong says. And when she sees a mysterious figure outside the tomb whom she believes is a gardener, she lays claim to the body of Jesus which, of course, would be the duty of a man’s wife.

He talks about the narrative that describes the moment after the resurrection when Jesus sees Mary and greets her by name. Mary responds, “Rabboni,” an intimate reference to Jesus’ teaching role. Apparently, Mary then moves toward Jesus to embrace him, and Jesus says, “Do not embrace me” or: “Do not cling to me.” In Orthodox Jewish sects, the bishop says, women did not embrace men unless they were married – and then only in the privacy of their homes.

Bishop Spong contends that the wedding at Cana in Galilee was actually the wedding of Jesus and Mary Magdalene. The bishop notes that the only likely time that Jesus’ mother and all of his friends would be at the same wedding was when Jesus himself got married. And he wonders why Jesus’ mother became so upset when the wine was running low. Probably because she was the hostess of her own son’s wedding.

Bishop Spong charges that the real Mary Magdalene was excised from holy stories as a way of denying women their true sexual nature. “By the turn of the 1st century, there was in the life of the Christian church a clear need to remove Mary Magdalene, the flesh-and-blood woman who was at Jesus’ side in life and in death, and to replace her with a sexless woman, the virgin mother. The record of history is that this was accomplished by portraying Mary Magdalene as a prostitute...and thus assassinating her character...

[Btw, mell, Mary Magdalene's real name was Miriam Megdela...she was an Ethiopian woman...Megdela is a few miles south of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia's capital. Prophet Isa (Jesus) was born in Nazeret, Ethiopia.]

6. sanyika

sanyika Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    According to David Icke (The Biggest Secret) "There is a 'royal' bloodline called the Merovingians who claim that the Merovigians are the bloodline of Jesus, via the child or children he conceived with Mary Magadalene, who fled with them to the South of France after the 'Crucifixion'. But there was no Jesus and no Mary because these are symbolic figures in a story which has been told endless times throughout the pre-Christian world, using different names. How could two symbolic people concieve a bloodline that became the Merovingians? It's baloney and this tale has been hatched to divert researchers from the truth. Yes, the truth is about the Merovingians are a major one. But no, it has nothing whatsover to do with Jesus. This particular line, going back to Alexander the Great and beyond, became known as the Merovingians in France by the 5th and 6th centuries."

7. Royal_T

Royal_T Well-Known Member MEMBER

LAW ENFORCEMENT SOMETHING!?!
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ok, I'm just a simple person. Sometimes I do like to think, but not often, so I need you all's help. ok? In my opinion of reading the bible. I see marriage as having sex with someone. "Becoming one." Where is there a ceremony to wed two people together. My vail was my virginity no? I became one with the first man I had sex with right? Where are the I do's and the speak now or forever hold your peaces. Did Jesus jump the broom with Mary M or did he have sex with her. What's really going on???

If we're going to talk Pagan, let's start here with weddings. I would love to know peoples opinion on this and why we're so into marriage vows instead of the becoming one....litterally. Becoming one with someone is sold nightly on T.V. It's reduced to nothing...

feed me information please!!!!

8. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    In a book titled, The Jesus Scroll, by Donovan Joyce, the author not only says that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married, but that they had a son whose name was "Barabbas," which means, "son of the father." He was scheduled for crucifixion for killing a Roman soldier...and Jesus and his followers (mainly the Essenes) devised a plan that would have Jesus go to the cross instead of his son. The basis of the plan was that Jesus would go to the cross, but that he wouldn't die on it...

It is a very intriguing story...and you'll be quite surprised at its ending...

I have posted a thread titled, "Marriage in Ancient Egypt" for further edification.

9. Royal_T

Royal_T Well-Known Member MEMBER

LAW ENFORCEMENT SOMETHING!?!
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, I saw the post "Marriage in Ancient Egypt." It was informative. Just to help me further, you stated moving in together was a big part of marriage. Indeed, but "becoming one" meant sex no? I'm no horn dog, I just want to make sure people understand that becoming one is serious biz.

10. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Becoming one does not just pertain to the physical, as you imply, Royal_T, it applies to the mental and spiritual aspects of a marriage as well, which surely makes "becoming one" a very serious undertaking...

In other words, when two people enter a marriage bond, they become one physically, mentally and spiritually...holy matrimony...