Black Spirituality Religion : Jesus Had Brothers and Sisters...

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Fine1952, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    Matthew 13:55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?

Matthew 13:56 And his sisters, are they not all with us?

Acts 1:13 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.

Acts 1:14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

John 7:3 His brethren therefore said unto him, Depart hence, and go into Judaea, that thy disciples also may see the works that thou doest.

Galatians 1:19 "But other of the apostles saw I none, save James THE LORD'S BROTHER."

2. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    ^5, Fine1952:

Mark 6:3 also names four brothers of Jesus, and mentions sisters as well. Plus, the Christian community in Jerusalem was led by James, the brother of Jesus. Centuries later, the Catholic doctrine of the "perpetual virginity of Mary" led to the denial that these were biological brothers and sisters. But the normal meanings of the Greek words indicate they were (and John Meier, a moderate Roman Catholic Jesus and Gospel scholar, affirms the same thing, in spite of traditional Catholic teachings to the contrary). One further point: if one sees the birth stories as symbolic or metaphorical narratives (as the majority of mainline scholars do), and not as straightforward historical reports, then there is no reason to think Jesus was the firstborn; he could have been anywhere in the sequence of children born to Mary and Joseph, even the youngest...

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Yes, Jesus had brothers and sisters.

Yes, Joseph and Mary produced children together AFTER the birth of Jesus.

Matthew 1:

[18] Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
    [19] Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.
    [20] But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
    [21] And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
    [22] Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
    [23] Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
    [24] Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
    [25] And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

4. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    Man this topic is certainly dated...

I've grown quite a bit since 2005...!

Thanks for responding, CB

I only recognize the "historical" JC whose real name was Y'usha Ben Pandira. The biblical JC is a myth and anything associated with this refurbished son/sun of the Volcanic Christian God.

:SuN049:
    One, Love
    Fine

5. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    Thanks for responding, Aqil

My - My I sure have grown a lot since first posting this topic.

I no longer quote the bible as the most accurate source...:10500:

:SuN049:
    One, Love
    Fine

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well, for NOW, it is what it is, Fine.

Romans 14:
    [11] For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
    [12] So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

But I do thank YOU for this Bible study lesson! :toast: