Black Entertainment : Jessie Williams Takes Racism 2 Task!

Eye always search for your replies b/c Eye know your comments will be on point!

Likewise, that feeling is mutual for you as well, in fact, I was going to post this(article), but guess what, lol, you beat me to it, yup, np though, its all good in da hood.

More importantly however, Jessie reminded me of, excuse me please, Keita and myself (we did make up over the phone).

Jesse Williams gave one of the most memorable speeches in award show history [full transcript]

... A pre-recorded video featuring Williams, Harry Belafonte, Nate Parker and Debbie Allen played before he took the stage. In the clip they discussed using their fame to speak out for change. Here is the full speech:

“Peace. Peace. Thank you Debra. Thank you, Nate Parker. Thank you, Harry and Debbie Allen, for participating in that ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eeches-in-award-show-history-full-transcript/

060ff7d469362cf0b96b313468fe6e89

Jesse Williams was among the stars who got political on stage at the BET awards June 26. The actor spoke passionately about the Black Lives Matter movement, while other performers and presenters paid tribute to Prince and Muhammad Ali. (Courtesy of BET)

True Dat Bro Clyde!!!

Likewise, that feeling is mutual for you as well, in fact, I was going to post this(article), but guess what, lol, you beat me to it, yup, np though, its all good in da hood.

More importantly however, Jessie reminded me of, excuse me please, Keita and myself (we did make up over the phone).

That statement about you and Kieta is so refreshing. It's so important that each of us revisit those whom we might have disagreements with and resolve the issues, so very proud of you!

View attachment 6109

On Sunday, Jesse Williams took the stage at the BET Awards to accept the honor for humanitarian of the year. But the award was not for him, as the former public school teacher, Grey’s Anatomy breakout and Advancement Project board member explained in his politically charged speech.

Read more here -- http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ms-on-racism-2016-bet-awards-speech/86420476/

As Eye always do when Eye want to remember a text that Eye know is important --Eye type it out!!!

THE WHOLE SPEECH

Jesse Wesley Williams' Acceptance Speech
Humanitarian Award 2016/ BET Awards
Repost from Chavillia Baker's page
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-bet-speech-day-cops-kill-6-article-1.2689668

""Peace-Peace. Thank you..Deborah. Thank you BET. Thank you Nate Parker, Harry and Debbie Allen for participating and that. Before we get into it I just wanna say I brought my parents out tonight. I just wanna thank them for teaching me to focus on comprehension over career and that they made sure I learned what the schools were afraid to teach us and to also thank my amazing wife for changing my life. Now...this award this is not for me this is for the real organizers all over the country. The activists, the civil rights workers, the struggling parents, the teachers, the students that are realizing that a system built to divide and impoverage and destroy us cannot stand if we do. Alright. it's kind of basic mathematics. The more we learn about who we are and about how we got here the more we will mobilize. Now this is also in particular for the black women in particular who have spent their lifetimes dedicated to nurturing everyone before themselves. We can and will do better for you.

Now...what we have been doing is looking at the data and we know that police somehow manage to de-escalate, disarm and not kill white people everyday. So what is going to happen is we are going to have equal rights and justice in our own country or we will restructure their function and ours. Now...eye got more y'all. Yesterday would have been young Tamir Rice's 14th birthday. So eye don't wanna hear anymore about how far we've come when paid public servants can pull a drive by on a 12 year old playing alone in a park in broad daylight; killing him on television and then going home to make a sandwich. Tell Rekah Boyd how so much better it is to live in 2012 than it was to live in 1612 or 1712. Tell that to Eric Garner. Tell that to Sandra Bland. Tell that to Dorian Hunt. Now the thing --is though-- all of us in here getting money ---that alone isn't gonna stop this...alright. Now dedicating our lives to getting money that we have to give right back for someone's brand on our body when we spent centuries praying with brands on our bodies; and now we pray to get paid with brands on our bodies.

There has been no war that we have not fought and died for in the front lines of; there is no job we haven't done; there is no tax they haven't levied against us and we have paid all of them --but freedom is somehow always conditional here. You're free they keep telling us. But she-she would have been alive if she hadn't acted so free. Now...freedom is always coming in the hereafter but you know what though --the hereafter is a hustle, we want it now. And let's get a couple of things straight ---this a little side note. The burden of the brutalized is not to comfort the bystander --that's not our job. Stop with all that. If you have a critique for the resistance --for our resistance then you better have an established list of our oppression. If you have no interest. If you have no interest in equal rights for black people then do not make suggestions to those who do. Sit down.

We been floating this country on credit for centuries yo and we are done watching and waiting while this invention called whiteness uses and abuses us ---burying black people out of sight, out of mind while extracting our culture, our dollars, our entertainment like oil, black gold. Ghetto-izing and demeaning our creations then stealing them. Gentrifying our genius and then trying us on like costumes before discarding our bodies like rhynes of strange fruit. The thing though, the thing is just because we are magic does not mean we are not real. Thank You."

He said so many great things but that resonated the most for me. Loved it. The fact that his mom is not black just seemed to make his stance and speech even more powerful and thought provoking. Love it!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back