Black People : Jesse L. Peterson - Uncle Tom of the year?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by 1milehi, May 13, 2005.

1. 1milehi

1milehi Banned MEMBER

medical coding
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://adeebafolami.com/

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Personally, I would not consider him as a "Reverend" because he is not "reverent" in my mind. Also, if he was a true respectful character, he would not CARE what Sharpton, Farrakhan, or Jesse Jackson are doing. I would love to check out the young men in that "BOND" program - give me a chance to find out what he is trying to do with our up-and-coming generation(s).

I'll see him face-to-face. Until then, why don't the rest of the family bring forth their views.

CD

3. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    Here is an article by Prof. Michael Eric Dyson re: Peterson that appeared in the Chicago Sun-Times in 2002:

Self-Hate Beyond Debate

By Michael Eric Dyson

If you've ever wondered what a self-hating Black man who despises Black culture and worships at the altar of whiteness looks like, take a gander at the Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson.

Last Friday in Milwaukee, the National Association of Black Journalists hosted its annual confab. The organization's gifted president, Condace Pressley, invited me to square off against Peterson on reparations in its distinguished "W.E.B. DuBois Debate." I had faced off against Peterson on national television before, but there I only got a whiff of his odious beliefs. The stench was fully aired in our confrontation last week.

First, Peterson was in way over his head. Not necessarily against me, but against anybody who could express an idea with intelligence, or who expected the same in return. When I argued that reparations were justified on moral, legal, economic, racial and political grounds, all Peterson could say was what he said throughout our debate: ''Blacks are immoral.''

Peterson refused to engage in an intellectual or principled defense of his opposition to reparations. Instead, he relied on the heavy-handed emotional antipathy toward Black people. His rambling tirades included ill-formulated assaults on such leaders as Minister Louis Farrakhan and Jesse Jackson, against whom he hosts a ridiculous annual day of repudiation on the King Holiday.

But Peterson's arguments were an embarrassment to his conservative ideals. He was barely articulate, belying the bombast of his comic self-proclamation in his newsletter that he is ''the most articulate'' critic of the civil rights establishment. Peterson's story might have been inspiring, seeing that he was reared on a plantation and prevented from acquiring much formal education. Lacking a high school diploma doesn't mean one is dumb. In fact, some of the smartest people around have never donned a graduation robe.

Unfortunately, that's not the case with Peterson. His ignorance is matched only by his hubris. He was shockingly unfamiliar with many of the ideas, articles, books, arguments and the like that have poured out either for or against his beliefs. As I prodded him to address the issues at hand, he relentlessly and bitterly attacked Black ethical failure.

In Peterson's mind, Black rates of teen-pregnancy, the breakdown of the Black family, and Black people's addiction to civil rights advocacy are the unerring symptoms of our moral failures. But when I pressed Peterson about his insistence that we view the legitimacy of arguments about reparations through the lens of his twisted beliefs about Black moral failure, he could only babble on about how utterly reprobate Blacks are.

For Peterson, the perception of flaws in the passengers on a sinking ship justifies refusing to patch it up. By that logic, we couldn't take any actions to rescue any group of people. Imagine arguing that we shouldn't seek justice for the victims of 9/11 because they were morally flawed.

So why does Peterson get the exposure he does on countless radio and television programs? The answer should be obvious: His brand of painful self-hatred, and hence, his hatred of other Blacks, plays well in certain white conservative audiences. That's why the newsletter for Peterson's Los Angeles-based BOND (Brotherhood Organization of a New Destiny) is chock full of articles from white conservatives like broadcast journalist Bill O'Reilly and right-wing ideologue Kenneth R. Timmerman. I've debated O'Reilly and Timmerman on television on racial issues.

Although I disagree fundamentally with O'Reilly on many issues, he is far better prepared than is Peterson. Further, I have never once believed he harbored the sort of animus for Blackness that gorges Peterson's soul. And while I find Timmerman's views reprehensible, he would surely have been branded a racist had he ever explicitly articulated the views that Peterson routinely airs.

Peterson constantly argued that Blacks are out to uncritically embrace white society and overlook the racial injustices that grow from the past. Thus, he proved that he might have left the plantation, but it continues to thrive in his mouth and mind...

4. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Ole baracuda looking Jesse Lee Peterson....

I didn't know that hook mouthed clown was still around.

He was Sean Hannity's favorite pet for a long time.

5. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    What an *******.

6. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    This brotha is a trip. I saw his interview after the State of the Black Union or the State of Black America held this year by Tavis Smiley in Georgia but taped before that show. Peterson attacked everything about that event and never said one good thing about it.

This is how pervasive racism/white supremacy is among ALL people in ALL countries. It turns a people against themselves by taking people like this and putting them up front to do its dirty work. A Black person won't dare call another Black person a racist. Like Michael Eric Dyson said, if a White person said the things that Jesse Peterson had said, he would have been called a racist for sure. And Peterson isn't the only Black person being used to front for those who are against Black people progessing in this country...and around the world.

smh

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    He told white people at that conference NOT to be afraid of blacks, because "we follow after Sharpton, Farrakhan, Jackson, etc." I would not want to be in his shoes in the future.

CD

8. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Monetary

Respect

You sir...are correct...

George Bush and his conservative flunkies boast of having more blacks in his cabinet than Bill Clinton but look what kind of black people he has?

The all think like conservative neo-nazis who oversee the expansion of white supremacy.

And look how the Republican party likes to trot out negros like J.C.Watts, Clarence Thomas, and that assistant Governer of Ohio who helped steal the election of '04

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is nothing more than the black overseer reborn.

10. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367

Users found this page by searching for:

1. jesse peterson uncle tom

2. jesse leePeterson tom