Black People : Jesse Jackson and others like him. sending the wrong messages??

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Jasel, May 16, 2005.

1. Jasel

Jasel Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I have great respect for people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton for representing the black race when we face racism and unfair treatment due to them. But I can't help but wonder why they rarely seem to mention all the blacks who look down on education, or commit crimes, or commit hate crimes themselves. It seems like the message they're saying is blacks don't deserve racist treatment from racist criminals, but racists and criminals who are black and commit crimes against whites, asians, and latinos deserve a little more consideration. It just feels like they're reinforcing the stereotype that all blacks do is complain about racism. There are other minorities out there who suffer from it as well and some of the time from us. I don't think we've had a great civil rights figure since MLK who at least spoke up for everyone. Opinions? Disagreements??

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    What upsets me is the fact that nowadays, it seems as if people are afriad to stand up for what they believe in, die for what they believe in, go to jail for doing what is right, etc. We do not have any Freedom Fighters (that's right, we are NOT free), and people are following the Amerikkkan Dream [live, breath, and die for the Amerikkkan dollar.] People have been indoctrinated into believing that you go to school to get a job, and you get a job to pay off bills. THE DEVIL IS A LIAR? If it wasn't for God, jobs would not have been started.

God did not give everyone the capability of dying for the right cause, pursuing a vision despite beatings, jail, and unfair treatment. You can acknowledge those who suffered badly, but you can't feel the pain they felt? They refused to do what alot of us love to do: THINK NEGATIVE, PURSUE A STINKIN' DOLLAR, HAVE TOO MUCH FUN! Sometimes you have to give up something.

When people talk about MLK, I ask them: What was his biggest accomplishment? It takes ALOT to get up in front of millions, and SPEAK YOUR MIND! Did he catch his tongue when he said: We cannot walk alone. And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall march ahead. We cannot turn back. We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities. We cannot be satisfied as long as the Negro's basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one. We can never be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote. No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream. ? It seems as if many people talk about him, but IGNORE what he said and what he was trying to say. He was not talking because he felt like it, and he was not talking to earn a dollar to pay off bills; he was talking, because he understood the condition we were in, and he had a word in his belly that needed to come out FOR OUR OWN GOOD! Just because you talk good about him all the time, does not mean that you respect. Try doing as he did, and NOT give up until you get what you want. You will pursue new clothes and an expensive suit, but you won't pursue the Love of God. Pursue the Love of God, and maybe you may get more respect than you think. When Rosa Parks was arrested, he seen that as an injustice, so he took action. He organized a Bus Boycott, and got the buses desegregated. If that happened today, you will have a group of black folks saying:

"She shouldn't have been in that seat."

Then another group saying:

"That's not right."

Then another group saying:

"Thank God it isn't or and anyone I know."

Why have we gotten so lazy when it comes to speaking up for one another? We are supposed to be together as a people. Something happened between the 60s and the 70s that made the 80s look bad for the 90s and the new milennium. I don't know what it is, but it has tore us apart, and it needs to stop - for the sake of our futures, and the up-and-coming generation's futures.

CD

3. Froggy1

Froggy1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    That's pretty sad man.

4. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    As Long As There Is Racism We Will Complain

If it wasn't for the complaints African Americans make against racism those "other minorities out there" would be suffering a lot more than they are now. They think they have it hard but it would be a lot harder for them if they couldn't piggy back on the gains we have made over the last hundred years.

They think they can progress by pushing us aside but they don't realize the white man is just using them to do what he has been trying to do and when we lose they lose.

If anything most of our so-called "leaders" don't complain enough.

5. Jasel

Jasel Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think there's anything wrong with complaining when it's justified. But I see alot of blacks blaming their problems on racism or abusing affirmative action. An example would be my friend(white) went to visit University of Michigan like 3 months ago. For the people who don't know the place is VERY pro affirmative action. So he's walking out of a bar and 3 white guys and a black kid call him an *** for no reason. Then he turns around to confront them. Then a cop car pulls up because a crowd is watching and the black kid tells the cop that my friend called him a ******, which he did not. So my friend had to be humiliated on the street in front of the bar having 4 cops shouting at him asking if he called the guy a ******, they put him face down on the hood of their car and cuffed him, and 20 minutes later let him go. That case was a bit extreme but I see more things like this happening year by year. Also there seem to be alot more blacks complaining needlessly about their problems blaming it on racism when that obviously wasn't the case. My friends(ex friends) would complain about how they got bad grades because the teacher was racist, but they'd smoke weed after school and never studied. Or they'd complain about not being able to get jobs and not having any money, but they always had the lastest designer clothes and shoes. And when someone actually is a victim of racism they're usually brushed off as being paranoid or complaining to much.

I'm just wondering if alot of blacks are accepting this mentality more and more partly because of men like that. I'm not taking a definite stance one way or the other it's just something i've been wondering about.

6. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Jasel

Peace

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are civil rights leaders of the black community and their role is to ensure the fair and equal treament of AfroAmericans. They are non-commisioned but because of thier abilities....popularly appointed leaders in our community to point out racism and injustices to us.

Sort of like watch-dogs.

Pointing out OUR faults isn't part of the job description and can often be counter productive for them as individuals making them look like hypocrites.

Although it needs to be done, in all truth it's not part of their jobs to criticize us.

Any man who was appointed as executed and then starts criticizing his own company won't remain in that position long.

Just like Tom Delay's primary responsibility is to promote the message of the Republican party, not point out the faults of Bush.....

Just like the primary responsibility of Condoleeza Rice is to promote the foreign policies of the American government, not point out slavery, genocide, or it's other historical faults....

Civil Rights leaders primary responsibility is to point out and stamp out racism withing our community.

Whether they are effective in this or not is highly debatable, but these type of people ARE needed within a democracy to blow the whistle on injustice.

BTW...are you white or black?

7. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

Welcome Jasel. I hope your stay at Destee.com is enjoyable and informative. Your observation is true in some cases unfortunately but program abuse also goes on in the white communities as well. The word racist and racism is the most misused word in America. By that I mean only those with authority to adversely effect ones life by discrimenation can be a racist or practice racism. These people are judges, policemen, district attornies, counsilmen, professors etc.. Even doctors, restaraunt owners and business owners can be racists. Men like Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan and Al Sharpton have dedicated their lives to being the voice of the disenfranchised. The disenfranchised blacks have no voice or platform other than these men. If this is a government of the people, by the people and for the people then it must serve all of the people. In a capitalist soceity there will be "haves and "have nots". Unless the "have nots" speak up they will invisible. As for affirmative action, whites are also benefitting. How might that be you ask? Well when a white male entrepeneur make his wife owner of his business that business becomes a minority business. See affirmative active works for women too. So now you see a white owned business in a minority status getting corporate minority dollars on top of whatever they would get though association and "good ole boy network". By the manner of your questioning you seem objective from your point of view. It's as if you are speaking about black as if you are not one. We have non-black members here. And they seek knowledge and understanding of the African race. I must warn you, if you and not black some of the comments you will see here about other races (especially Europeans) will be very strong and derrogatory. So if your being here is for self edification of Africa peoples in America and abroad then feel free to pose respectful questions but this kitchen can get very hot. You know the old saying about heat in the kitchen....

Peace....

8. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

If I may add another thing that Martin Luther King did is by leading a people with prayer and Godly principles he lead a movement that effectively disarmed many racists policies in the Southern States as well as America. This was a brilliant stategy. This stategy made white Christians look at their actions as they persecuted their black brothers and sisters in Christ while the sang songs of Zion to the Lord. By focusing on God and practicing the principles taught by Jesus they effective become the lambs of sacrifice for the advancement of our race. Our brothers and sisters proved as long as we stay focused on God no weapon formed against us would prosper. Nightsticks, billyclubs, bombings, burning crosses, viscous policedogs, high pressure water hoses, jails, angry mobs, hitsquads nor klansman could stop us from getting justice and first class citizenship. All the forementioned things were rendered powerless. We brought a nation to its knees. They deployed a good stategy as well. They give us what we wanted, atleast some of us. They killed the body by nullifying the head. They gave our black leaders jobs and money. More money than they had ever seen. Their families were living a certain lifestyle and everyone was happy. Problem is when you deal with the devil there is always a cost. The cost was to not throw the rope back over to bring the you brothers and sisters across the fense. Which in itself made our black leaders servants to the dollar instead of the people. The enemy killed a movement by killing the idea. This is what happened to black people. The enemy is very careful not too persecute us openly anymore. If we study the Bible it was when the Christian church was persecuted did the church grow. Well we are not all Christians but we are nation. A nation of sleepers waiting to be awakened. That day will come.

Peace....

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    What are the chances of something like that happening today? Whites looking at their actions as they persecute everyone else? There are many people in this world. Out of that LARGE population, there are at LEAST a minimum of 100 people capable of doing the same thing.

Point is, he NEVER gave up on faith. That is how we must deal with life-

Yes, it will be hard, but never give up on faith. Since the MLK days, people have stopped believing so much in the positive, and they have looked at the devil's strategies, and said "it is too impossible." King went BEYOND the impossible, and look what he did. How many people today are willing to go BEYOND the impossible for all the right causes?

CD

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    this cat sounds like a troll to me.
    if you are a white person, as he sounds to be, and you do not identify yourself that right there is an offense.
    he should consult the black conservative thread and take himself somewhere that will be more appropriate. :pie: