Black Sports : Jermaine Taylor v Sam Soliman April 15

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by MississippiRed, Jan 24, 2006.

1. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Well hell......I'll say it again I can't stand promoters......here's the lowdown fight fans..what yall think..

"An opponent and date have been confirmed for Jermain Taylor’s next fight. The only thing left to choose is a location.
    Lou DiBella, Taylor’s trainer, told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette on Monday that Little Rock’s Taylor, the middleweight world champion, will fight Australian Sam Soliman on April 15. The championship fight will take place on regular HBO, not pay-perview.
    Sources said the fight will either take place in Memphis or at Alltel Arena in North Little Rock, and whichever city did not host the fight would host a Taylor fight card later in 2006.
    Dan Goosen, Soliman’s promoter, was unavailable for comment Monday night.
    DiBella also confirmed that the undercard will feature a televised junior middleweight bout between two-time former welterweight champion Vernon Forrest and former welterweight champion Ike Quartey.
    Soliman (31-8-0, 12 KOs) last fought Dec. 10, losing by unanimous decision to Winky Wright, a week after Taylor retained his titles with a rematch victory over Bernard Hopkins.
    There were serious talks of Taylor fighting Wright after the WBC, the sanctioning body of one of Taylor’s three belts, ordered negotiations between the two fighters.
    DiBella broke off negotiations with Gary Shaw, Wright’s promoter, after Shaw demanded a 50/50 split of a Taylor-Wright middleweight title fight, turning down DiBella’s offer of 60/40 favoring Taylor.
    Negotiations have not resumed, and the WBC will hold a purse bid Jan. 30. The winner of the purse bid will hold the right to promote a fight between Taylor and Wright, the WBC’s No. 1 contender. DiBella has previously said that Taylor will not fight Wright if Shaw wins the purse bid and controls 100 percent of the promotion.
    The WBC has said it will strip Taylor of the WBC belt if Taylor did not agree to fight Wright, although DiBella said he is in contact with the WBC about possible alternatives. Taylor has said that he “loves his belts” and doesn’t want to give them up. Taylor also said he has no objections to fighting Wright later in
    50 2006, just not for a /50 split.
    DiBella would not confirm nor deny anything regarding the purse bid, including whether he would place a bid, other than to say Taylor will not fight under Shaw’s rules, which would include bringing the fight to Wright’s hometown of Tampa, Fla.
    With the chance of fighting Wright in early 2006 gone, Di-Bella said he wanted to make the next best fight that would interest the public and HBO.
    In his loss to Wright, Soliman, 32 broke his own CompuBox middleweight record, throwing 1,260 punches, averaging 105 per round or twice the middleweight average. He also broke his own power-punch record Dec. 10, throwing 927 nonjabs.
    Soliman, 5-8 /2, landed only 174 punches (14 percent) in the loss but had fans cheering for him and his seemingly nonstop energy after the final bell. Soliman had won 17 consecutive fights before losing to Wright, mainly in Australia."

MississippiRed

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Oh yea, this is the type of move that'll win JT the respect of the boxing public. I'm sure he wants to beat Soliman more convincingly than Wright did, to further justify why they shouldn't have to face each other. JT should lose another belt behind this one. Where is Kemetkind to give his opinion about this?

3. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Brother Kemetkind calling Brother Kemetkind.........come on with them pom poms bruh.......man JT much upside as he has just lost a whole bucket of mine and a lot of other fight fans respect behind this......and then for Dibella to say if Shaw gets the purse bid the fight won't get done.....don't he realize that even if he does a 50/50 now and JT wins this would make Jermaine THE best middleweight in the world ....well until Floyd gains some weight...or maybe Dibella knows what we know......his boy ain't ready for Wink.....

Panafrica I agree he wants to fight this cat to try and beat him badly so they can say"see I beat Soliman badly and Winky couldn't so we shouldn't fight cuz I'd beat Winky worse".......whatever dude.........

I didn't really think he'd drop a belt but now that he's actually going to do this I wonder what will be next...it's funny though Dibella says "we'll fight Wink sometime in 06" but in the same breath says if Shaw gets the purse bid the fight won't get done.....if it has to be 50/50 the fight won't get done.....if they have to fight the fight won't get done(my statement)....lol.....oh well......Kemetkind what's up with ya boy man...?

Red