Black People Politics : Jeb Bush: I misspoke about women's health funding

Black Phoenix

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 30, 2015
Jeb Bush: I misspoke about women's health funding
5 August 2015
_84676845_bush_976ap.jpg

Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush was forced to backtrack after saying funding for female health was too high.

The former Florida governor told a conservative Christian audience: "I'm not sure we need half a billion dollars for women's health issues."

But he later said he "misspoke", after criticism of his remarks.

Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton had tweeted to him: "You are absolutely, unequivocally wrong."

Appearing on stage at the Southern Baptist Convention in Tennessee on Tuesday, Mr Bush was asked about healthcare provider Planned Parenthood, to which Republicans have been trying to cut funding.

His response was: "The next president should veto Planned Parenthood'', which drew applause.

It was then that he said "women's issues" did not need so much money as half a billion dollars.

Senator Barbara Boxer speaks at a news conference on the funding for Planned Parenthood
_84676934_parenthood_976reu.jpg

The funding of Planned Parenthood has become a hot political issue

But later, the Bush campaign team clarified his remarks with a statement from him.

"With regards to women's health funding broadly, I misspoke, as there are countless community health centres, rural clinics and other women's health organisations that need to be fully funded," it said.

It added that he was referring to the "hard-to-fathom" $500m government funding for Planned Parenthood.

The organisation at the centre of the row issued a statement saying Mr Bush "told the rest of America what Florida women have known for years, which is that he doesn't believe women's health is worth much".

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back