Black People : Jay Z, Kanye, Madonna Join Stevie Wonder's Florida Boycott In Wake Of Zimmerman Verdict

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Alarm Clock, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    A number of top-level celebrities are reportedly following in Stevie Wonder's footsteps and plan to boycott Florida in protest of the state's "Stand Your Ground" laws. The list, which was first reported by AURN's April Ryan and credited a "a source close to Wonder," includes the likes of Madonna, Usher, Kanye West, Jay Z, Rihanna and Rod Stewart.
    Wonder announced his intention to boycott any state with "Stand Your Ground" laws after George Zimmerman after a jury acquitted George Zimmerman in the 2012 killing of unarmed Florida teen Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman did not invoke the "Stand Your Ground" defense in the trial, though it did figure into the poli....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/22/jay-z-kanye-florida-boycott-zimmerman_n_3636567.html

2. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Yk
    This is great! I love it!!!

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    :10200: BOYCOTT!

4. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +666
    The law needs amending but the focus of the boycott should be justice not the stand your ground law. Hmm, I do wonder what these celebs agenda is sometimes.

5. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    ... said 'some source'. who is "a source'? per the same article, the timberlake/jayz concert is still on. *shrug* sometimes huffpost is no better than a (lib) gossip site.

I swear, I hate this media and its lazy reporting. they dont even vet the sources before they just fling some crap in the wind. "well just add our corrections at the end."

has any other celeb besides stevie issued a statement on this? it doesn't sound believable. ..or realistic.

6. butterfly#1

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Texas is also a stand your ground state. But they're trying to decrease the incidents. They Just gave a man 41 yrs for shooting his neighbor for partying, hoping that they are sending a message to those who might be thinking of using this defense.

7. butterfly#1

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Sandra Thompson, a professor at the Univ. Of Houston
    told the news that "if someone were intruding or stealing on your property you have the right to kill them". That's protecting your property. That's even if outside.
    smh!!!

8. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    one thing at a time. I apreciate them makiong a focus on boycotting Florida over the biggest incident of injustice since the Scottsborough trials! After we can get a million Black folks to boycott Florida; vacation and resort venues; then other things can be worked on!

9. BlackSunlight

BlackSunlight Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +91
    D*MN, YOU GOT TO IT (the point) BEFORE I DID!!!

As much admiration I have for Stevie I can't help feeling that this thing is somewhat misguided. Although something definitely needs to be done, there's a couple of things wrong here.

10. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Personaly , not down with getting rid of stand your ground! if Tupac walked after shooting a drunk high off duty cop , for trying to kill someone, then who know how many times that law has been in Black folks favor who have shot racist mobs in remote areas and were legally justified,
    however we are dealing with a generation of Black folks who need all kinds of flags and symbols on a finger when it is pointing to something! We are not the same people we were in the 60s and 70s, and anything that gets at least 45% of us to focus on boycotting Florida over this mistrial is a plus! IMHO do the boycott now sort out the rest later!