Black People : Jason Williams....?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by happy69, May 1, 2004.

1. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    For the record, I think that he made a horrible mistake.
    I don't think that what he did was intentional. I think that he was wrong to try and cover it up; but I don't think that he should get jail time for covering it up. Even the victims family said that they did not think that he did it intentionally. Some want to see him suffer.

What is just in this case?

2. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    He was found innocent of the major charge which was manslaughter. I am happy for him. I agree with you that he should not have tried to cover it up, but unless we are put in that very same situation we are hard pressed to condemn him for trying. I believe he simply paniced and felt there was no way out.

Joyce

3. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    i feel sorry 4 jason, but i feel much sorry er 4 the man he pointed a loaded shotgun @. i agree about the intent part, but i hv 2 admit, i still feel there is some culpability involved, even f the gun's discharge was totally accidental, that jason assumed when he handled that weapon n such a manner as to make it an implement of death for another living human. i also wonder f the jury wld hv been as understanding f it had been the driver who 'accidentally' shot & killed jason williams?

1 of the 1st & most basic rules of gun ownership is to never point a gun, loaded or not, at another individual unless u feel u r n immenent danger. even f, as the defense suggests, it was a mechanical failure of the gun which caused its discharge, had it not been pointed at another human, it wld hv caused, maybe a cpl of hundred $ worth of property damage & given all a good scare, something every1 cld hv joked about later. while i certainly don't think this lapse n judgement warrents a 30 yr prison term, f he walks away w/o any time incarcerated, i wld not feel justice was served n this case, particularly not 4 the victim.

:eek:hmy: :eek:hmy:

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Alkebulan said exactly what I would say.....without the ebonics.

5. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for responding you guys. I concur with your thinking. I don't think that it warrants 30 years or even 10 years... I think that he should serve some time though.

I find that sometimes I catch myself comparing. This world We live in is so Unjust that I do it almost unconsciously. I said to myself, "If he was White, this wouldn't have happened....If he was White, that would not have happened;" Then When I thought about it, I had to say, "But, even though he did not intend to do it; and he did panic (as I am sure many or most of Us would), What he did was wrong. He pointed a loaded gun, someone is dead, he got caught covering up; and Life and the taken away of life should come with consequences." I cannot let myself get caught up in what THEY do; and how THEY abuse and trample on the Lives of so many without ANY CONSEQUENCES.

Jason is a nice guy, who did something horribly stupid-I think that he could benefit from suffering the consequences of his action; even if ANY White person in America, who had did the same, who be at home living and aided in FORGETTING by All of US in Society.

6. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56

I found out yesterday, that he will only be getting probation. If he behaves well he should do okay. Isn't it nice to have a lot of money. That comes in handy whether you are guilty or innocent (as in the case of O.J.) of the crime committed. My husband feels that Jason got off too easy and he also believes that it was not totally an accident, that that was just something he felled back on when he was caught trying to cover it up. He also believes that no man such as Jason, would accidentally point a loaded gun at a man and accidentally pull the trigger.

I guess in a way I have to agree with him. At first we had a difference of opinion but I've since change it. When I'm right, I'm right...but when I'm wrong...boy am I wrong. At first, I felt he should not be punished at all. However, I was wrong about that.

There should have been some consequence. However, if the family of the man is fine with this outcome then it's final, unless they take it to civil court, like in the case of O.J. and get some money.

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    If I'm not mistaken, Williams has already paid money to the family.

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    i agree with above and yes he is to be placed on probation
    i feel sorry of him but feel even sorry for the victim & family
    on a lost of life
    Jason big mistake was trying to cover it up that made him
    look guilty but justice was on his side it was not intentionally done
    i wish him well

9. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, Jason already paid the family money; and it seems he is a very generous guy...so he probably gave alot.
    I think that he would suffer; internally. I think that his conscious will eat him up inside. I, too, wish him well.