Black People Politics : Jan. 7, 2008: The Day Hillary Clinton Lost the Black Vote

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Liberty, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,244
    [​IMG]

It was a long time ago in an America we would hardly recognize today: Jan. 7 of 2008. The main conversation around Bill Cosby was his conservative positions, not his choice of home beverage. Tracee Ellis Ross was still
    Joan and not Rainbow. And Dr. Ben Carson was still just the best neurosurgeon in American history.

Presidential candidate, former first lady and Sen. Hillary Clinton came in a distant third to Sen. Barack Obama in the Iowa caucuses and was in the race of her life. The New Hampshire Democratic primary was the next day on Tuesday, Jan. 8; Clinton knew she was going to win, so the campaign was already looking 4,000 miles south to the crucial South Carolina Democratic primary.

Clinton was doing well in the polls in the Palmetto State; in late December of 2007 she was statistically tied with Obama 46 percent to 45 percent among African Americans, who made up half of the Democratic primary voters in South Carolina. If she could hold those numbers for just two more weeks, until the primary on Jan. 26, she would put Obama in a 2-1 hole and reclaim her crown as the inevitable candidate.

Instead, on Jan. 7, 2008, Clinton effectively killed her relationship with African-American voters
    with one of the biggest gaffes of her political career. And she’s been digging herself out of a hole ever since. Eight years ago today, at a Dover, N.H., campaign rally, a supporter introduced Clinton with the
    following line: “Some people compare one of the other candidates to John F. Kennedy. But he was assassinated. And Lyndon Baines Johnson was the one who actually” passed the civil rights legislation.

The introduction was a clear reference to the Kennedy-Martin Luther King Jr.-Obama comparisons that were popular at the time. The Clinton campaign was in a war of words with Obama, trying to paint him as the optimistic dreamer with no real experience, compared with Clinton’s ability to get things done in the real-world trenches. Nevertheless, the suggestion that a prominent African American with national political aspirations might be assassinated struck many voters, especially African-American voters, as the worst kind of race-baiting from the Clinton campaign.

Read more

http://www.theroot.com/articles/pol...on_lost_the_black_vote.html?wpisrc=topstories

• Like Like x 1
    • Enjoyed Enjoyed x 1
    • List
  2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    blacks will still vote for clinton.

3. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,244
    But, why? I don't understand.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    we are masochistic.....

5. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,244
    I guess so. I hope you're wrong. But right now it looks that way. I think all those AA ministers who are standing in support for Clinton are a big problem for us. I am suspicious of their motives. And, they have the power to deliver whole congregations, people who rely on their judgment alone.

Then we even have the sillier Ministers trying to deliver our vets to Trump.

*smh*

6. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Because outside of politically-motivated rhetoric, there is no such thing as "The Black Vote". People of African descent vote all kinds of ways..

7. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,244
    I understand that AAs are not a monolithic group. We do habitually vote for the Dems, so much that they take us for granted.

But the Clintons have shown their true colors too much, too often, to be ignored, IMO.

https://destee.com/threads/bill-cli...-us-coffee-a-few-years-ago-game-change.85259/

8. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,244
    Black Twitter slams Hillary Clinton for Kwanzaa exploitation

In our latest episode of “Election Recklessness,” Hillary Clinton continued her push of racial pandering, proving all the marbles really aren’t there in her team’s vision.

This past Saturday marked the beginning of Kwanzaa, and with that, Hillary Clinton’s Twitter avatar was changed to look like a kinara, along with a special message posted soon after. But following immediate backlash, her team swiftly took the post down.

Read more

http://thegrio.com/2015/12/28/black-twitter-slams-hillary-clinton-for-kwanzaa-exploitation/

9. SophiaG

SophiaG Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    In general, The Establishment (which can take many forms) is for Hillary Clinton, trying it's best to shoo her in and ignore, place TV debates in the worst possible time slots and even lie about Bernie Sanders.

I met a shoe salesman in a Nike store a few months ago, and I asked him who he would vote for. He automatically said Hillary Clinton and that he would campaign for her when the time came to do so. I asked him if he had ever heard of Bernie Sanders, and he said no, he hadn't, so I told him to look Bernie up. In this case, it was ignorance that led him to chose Hillary over any other democratic candidate. He had made his mind up before even looking at any other option.

Other people I've known who support Hillary, who have known about Bernie just don't think Bernie can win, period. So they haven't given him a second thought.

Hillary Clinton is the christened nominee, thus she must win has been the rhetoric for months and months. News agencies have repeatedly laughed off Bernie, written him off etc.

I truly believe that since Trump and Hillary are such polarizing political figures that Hillary would have less of a chance than Bernie at defeating Trump. So I am hoping in my heart of hearts that Bernie wins for the dem side because statistically he is shown to do better against Trump than Hillary does in candidate matchups.

Hillary has really really ratcheted up the attacks in the past week or so though, trying to smear him since he is close in the polls with her in Iowa and New Hampshire. Lying…etc. She is looking very desperate at the moment.

10. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,244
    The most recent polls I have seen show a big turn around... Bernie at 60 something and Hillary at 30 something. So, Bernie is plowing away.