James of Good Times

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by Destee, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,685
    Hello Family,

I've heard that they tried to get rid of James / John Amos on Good Times a couple of times at least. They first had him working away from home, which kept him off the show, and then they eventually died him away.

Now that time has passed, and we can evaluate this, what do you think?

Did he choose to leave, was it just television, or another blow to our psyche?

What was that really about?

:heart:

Destee

2. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Destee

Good gracious sis....you almost scared me with this thread.

I thought my man had died or something.

I was getting ready to find a punch bowl to smash and say:

Not Jaaaaaames....d*mn...d*mn...d****mm......!

I'm sorry I have to pull myself together now and get back to you for a response on the subject.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    John Amos fought with the show's producers over the roles of the characters. He thought the show focused too much on JJ's buffonery, and neglected the other characters. The producers got tired of fighting with him, and he was "fired". Thus his character was killed off, which also fit into the stereotypical image of a black family with no father present (a stereotypical image which unfortunately has become a reality of most African American families).

4. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    :haha:

TV Land (cable station) had a 48 hour "Good Times" marathon on this weekend... I didn't watch it (very much) cause I didn't want to see those episodes surrounding James Sr's death... I liked it much better when the
    character was alive...makes me wonder if Norman Lear was part of the
    Illuminati... :?: killing off the positive, hard working, long suffering, MALE
    head of a black family... then after Florida was a widow they had her meet
    "Carl", who though hesitant at first, grew into his own as the new head of
    the family only to develop cancer and be taken off the show as well...

5. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    It's different if the father dies versus if he was never there.

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    the damage is the same...

To kill off James or have him leave, the damage is the same.
    The point is to cause the sub-conscious fear of investing love in the Father/Black Man, because (for whatever reason), he will not be there for you. The 'stronger' he is, the more terrible (terror) must be his demise.
    The case of James on 'Good Times' was one of the broadest attacks on Black psyches by 'dem' in the 70's.

7. Shanna

Shanna Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I had recently purchased the Good Times first season DVD and there was a marathon on over this last weekend. The first few episodes potrayed J.J. as a thief with him stating "I find things." Every other episode had James hoping deperately for a better job an getting turned down everytime. Micheal who played the role of a sort of young activist wasn't always supported by his parents and was scolded when telling his teacher that George Washington was a racist because he owned slaves. It gave me some things to think about as well as the black family losing it's backbone-the father.

8. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Yeah they definately killed the strongest black father in TV history. James was the poor father that did whatever he had to to put keep a roof over his families head and food on the table. After all that struggling and surviving came the ultimate kick in the teeth, they killed him off. Brother OldSoul is right the message there was "Blackman no matter how hard you work to make a better way for yourself and your family they will be much better off without you.". Hidden Racism.....

Peace.....

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I was a kid when Good Times was originally aired, and while I always liked the show...I watched it from a child's perspective: I enjoyed JJ, Michael, and Thelma. Now as an adult, who is married with two children. I see the show in an entirely different light. James Evans was Good Times! His struggle to support his family despite living in poverty...racism...and violence is what made the show special. I can relate with this brother in a way I can with few fictional black characters. When he was killed off, the show loses its soul (literally).

10. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    his daughter, Thelma, is still fine as ever :wink: