Black Education / Schools : Jalen Rose, ex-NBA star, creates high-performing Detroit school

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by RAPTOR, Jan 28, 2012.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Jalen Rose can now add "educator" to his long list of social contributions. The former NBA star and current ESPN analyst has established the Jalen Rose Leadership Academy (JRLA) in his hometown of Detroit in order to help improve Michigan's troubled education system -- and ultimately give Detroit adolescents under his care the best education possible.
    The thirty-eight-year-old was motivated to found JRLA due to a concern that Michigan's stagnant economy is impeding students' ability to succeed in high school and attend college.
    "When the auto industry was around, adults weren't necessarily going to college to get degrees," Rose told theGrio. But that industry cannot support the region as it once did. "This domino effect has in turn affected children," Rose continued.
    Indeed, according to a recent study conducted at the Education Policy Center at Michigan State University, only 31.9 percent of Detroit's public high school students graduate in four years. In addition, only 12 percent of adults in Detroit have a bachelor's degree or higher.
    To receive a good education, many students have to attend schools outside their districts. "If I live in a district where I know the school is poor performing, why should I have to make my child go there?," Rose asserted.
    The former University of Michigan basketball player expressed his sympathy for parents who are trying to educate their kids within this highly-flawed system.
    "It's embarrassing and ridiculous to me that politicians are talking about charter schools versus public schools and more," Rose said. "We should just try to make sure that we have quality schools across Michigan."
    The Jalen Rose Leadership Academy helps solve this problem. JRLA is an open enrollment charter school that opened in September of 2011 on the northwest side of Detroit. The school's first class consisted of 120 ninth graders, and will be followed by an additional freshman class each year until a maximum of 500 students is reached. Students are accepted into the school through a lottery system -- and competition to get in is fierce.
    "I wanted to create more quality performing schools than the public schools offered in Detroit," Rose said. "I'm fortunate that basketball has placed me in a good position to help give kids the education that they need."
    Read more: http://www.thegrio.com/specials/liv...detroit-school-created-by-former-nba-star.php

2. bingiedred

bingiedred Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +242
    Nice, he has no where near the money that Micheal Jordan has but is still making a highly visual positive contribution to the community. May many others follow in his footsteps.

3. Aluku

Aluku Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    Props to Jalen Rose!