Black Relationships : Jailbird?

MANASIAC said:
Well do not get your feelings hurt if your daughter comes home Jelling with a felon. Human beings make their own decisions not their parents.

I deal wit daddies like you on a regular basis so you cool playa and your feelings are greatly met an open heart and a mind of understanding. Ususally after spending some time with the me, and learning that I am better than the non-convicts that she brought home, cats like you start wearing MY FUTURE SON IN LAW IS A FELON t-shirts.

I really feel your points, but one must consider the entire equation when dealing with re-offenders, there are many factors that play into it.

Here are some factors:

Minority Felons are more than likely to be turned down for a job than White Felons.

Black Felons make up more than 70 percent of the state prison populations in America. A majority of these prisons have no higher education components at their facilities. Most of them only offer GED programs and Vocational programs. A lot of the trades taught in prison are in fields that are highly saturated; thus, the re-offender has an even difficult job getting hired, not just based off of his criminal record, but because the trade he has learned is often times filled or their are other hurdles that must be achieved in order to receive licensing status and etc. Some states will not allow you to get State Licenses with a felony.

Whites make up more than 50% of the Federal Prison Population. The Federal Prison system not only has GED, and Vocational training, but also Higher education opportunities for it's inmates. A federal can receive a PHD in Prison while a state inmate can be lucky if he gets a GED.

Did you know that most crimes on the job are committed by first time offenders not convicted felons?

Felons with Federal Offenses are more likely to be hired than Felons with State Offenses, why?

Most of your federal crimes are white collar and the federal system has an easier way of getting those nasty details off your record than most state systems. Moreover, most white collar criminals have higher educations and or more financial resources to support themselves when they are released; thus, quelling the federal re-offender rate. State re-offenders are usually uneducated and lack the financial resources to be stable in society and thus re-offend based off an ignorant conception of survival (IE I got to get mines by any means necessary, these folks aint gone hire me and etc.).

This is a very difficult problem to look at from the outside; moreover, Brother Bigtown and a majority of the posters points are serenely accurate; however, it is difficult for a person to look at the entire picture regarding ex-cons etc, when one is only looking at 2 to 3 colors of the canvas.

While these aforementioned factors are not excuses for the behavior of felons, they are alternative lenses for you to view the convoluted, picturesque movie of life as a felon in a clearer context. They are provided for you to make a more clearer juxtapose of your life versus a felons.

However, at the same time, it is difficult for the felon and or ex-con, to really understand the thinking and rationale that goes on behind people’s judgment. Some of us do not understand that it is difficult for people to accept us, based upon them being past victims, stigmas, stereotypes etc. People have right to make these judgments, however, these judgments should be made in earnest, with clear judgment on a case-by-case basis. That is all some felons want. Some of them do not want you to give them a pat on the back for their crimes they just want you to accept them as the same tax-paying citizen that you are.

Therefore, I recommend that anyone who wants a real outlook on the life of an ex-con, go commit a crime, get sentenced and come back to society. Try too see if you can make it, if you think it is so easy to reform in this nation. If you really think you understand something, go be apart of it.

Or just simply take the time, to rid yourself of stereotypical notions, pre judgments, bias and or fears, and listen to a felon tell you about the true pitfalls of his or her life, not the same old story of they want hire me because of my record or because I am black or whatever, but the real pitfalls and obstacles that felons have to face. Once you take the time to have true empathy you will come back with a greater respect and understanding of those people who reform and make their mark in society, and those who are on that path to do so.

That was real and deeply felt. My husband is in prison and I've gotten a little of the "big" opinion. Thanks for telling it like it is. It takes a stronger minded person to come out of that type of situation and strive.

jamesfrmphilly said:
Queenie:

you tell me.

the criminal knows they will always be forgiven and given a second chance, why should they change their behavior?

are you a mother? do bad children change their behavior if they are forgiven?

how will we stop crime in the community if we forgive all the criminals?

I'm a young woman, a mother, a nurse who's about to get a bachelor of science degree in nursing, and wants to enter into law school after that. I was also a victim of violent crime and a criminal, a defendant in several cases. I learned hard lessons and changed. I deserve the same things in life everyone else does and I'm going to get them. I don't need your forgiveness, I have God's.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back