Health and Wellness : Jahi McMath: Life and Death Issue

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by KMeister, Jan 3, 2014.

1. KMeister

KMeister Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +242
    I got in late on this story but from what I understand, there's a teenage girl in Oakland, CA who, because of complication due to an operation, has been declared brain dead by the doctors at the hospital that cared for her. Now the hospital administrators want to take her off life support but her family doesn't want this to happen.

Jahi McMath: Mom can remove brain-dead daughter from hospital, judge rules

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_24840744/jahi-mcmath-mom-can-remove-brain-dead-daughter

This is a very sad story.

What do you think? Should she be taken off life support?

KM

2. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    This is a totally personal decision. I think this mother needs to have more time to process this event, and the.hospital needs to be more understanding and compassionate about the issue, since it was their.fault.

3. KMeister

KMeister Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +242
    I read that...

Last month, Jahi had surgery to remove her tonsils, adenoids and extra sinus tissue. Doctors had recommended the surgery to treat pediatric obstructive sleep apnea, a condition that made her stop breathing in her sleep and caused other medical problems.

Poor kid. Goes to the hospital for what is considered routine surgery and ends up dead. Very sad.

My wife and I had wills and health care proxy forms drawn up several years ago. It's important to make one's wishes known for what to do in such cases. I know of several families who've argued bitterly when a loved one went veg.

KMeister

4. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204

Yes, you're right. It is most important that one's wishes be known before something like this happens. But, in the case of teenagers, its still the family's decision.

That's a hard call to make. Hopefully there will be someone to counsel this mother to help her make the right decision for all concerned.

I hope the hospital do right by her financially..altho, there are papers that one signs that excludes the hospital of certain liabilities.