Black Entertainment : Jada Pinkett Smith donates 1 million to school

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by dandan, Dec 12, 2006.

1. dandan

dandan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    BALTIMORE Dec 12, 2006 (AP)— Jada Pinkett Smith has donated $1 million to her high school alma mater, the Baltimore School for the Arts, asking that its new theater be dedicated to classmate Tupac Shakur, who was shot and killed in 1996.
    “It means a lot when you’re a teacher and your most famous alumnus comes back to give a donation,” said Donald Hicken, head of the school’s theater department since its founding in 1980 and Pinkett Smith’s former theater teacher. “It really says a lot to the community that the school matters in people’s lives.”

The donation from the Will and Jada Smith Family Foundation, which is based in Baltimore, will be used for renovation and expansion. The school, which announced the donation Monday, said it will name its new theater for Pinkett Smith.

Pinkett Smith, 35, is married to Will Smith, who stars in the new movie “The Pursuit of Happyness” with their 8-year-old son, Jaden.

The couple had previously given $112,500 to the school.

When a $30 million expansion program is finished in the fall of 2007, the school will increase its enrollment from 316 to 375 students.

Karen Banfield Evans, executive director of the Smith Family Foundation, and Pinkett Smith’s aunt, said the actress was moved by the school’s advances since she graduated.

Pinkett Smith wanted the theater named for Shakur because of the friendship they developed at the school. The rapper died after a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas.

http://www.mwza.com/2006/12/12/jada-pinkett-smith-gives-1-million-to-baltimore-school/

the money will help these kids
    what to you think black celebs help enough?
    What is your opinion?

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    While I give Kudos to Sistah Pinkett-Smith, I believe she should "go an extra mile" and reach out to some of the students. Forming a "Pinkett-Smith Art Club" or something like that along with the donation would be a good start. [Speaking as a Student from a student's perspective] Don't "score a touch-down, then give up the extra point(s)!" (I hope you got my metaphor)

KD

3. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    She cant be PERSONAL but just show how the DOLLAR works because she has has duties of her OWN to tend too...

Will Smith goes into a WONDERFUL TANGENT in this interview in Reader's Digest.