I've recently became vegatarian again.

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Pharaoh Jahil, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've recently became vegetarian again.

Peace

Okay, when I decided to go vegetarian in the first place, I thought I was doing the right thing. For that time, I have never felt so great. But then, I notice that I started to loose alot of weight. So I went to my doctor and she told me that I wasn't getting enough protein and since I was trying to eat more healthy, she suggested that I just simply not eat any red meat but eat chicken, turkey and fish. Now, I didn't want to eat any meat..period but if that's going to get my weight back up then so be it. Well, during these 4 months of intaking meat has gave me the protein I needed. But check this, at my college, I was building with these brothas from the Moorish Science Temple and they told me that the human body already produces enough protein, my problem was that I rushed into vegeterianism too fast. When I decided to stop eating meat at first, I went cold turkey. Im supposed to let my body adjust and stop eating it meat slowly. Now, Im sitting there, really ticked off, thinking I wasn't 'built' for vegetarianism when my doctor could have just told me to intake meat twice a week, than reduce it to once. She could have also inform me that there are other ways to get protein besides 'animal flesh' but anywayz, I took the advice of the brothas at my college and here I am back to being a vegetarian and feeling better and healthier than ever again.... Just wanted to share this with yall........

2. AUM

AUM Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    Hotep Brother Pharoah Jah. I went "Cold Turkey" back in September and was fine up until Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm from the DEEP south (a city where MANY of us got off the first slave ships) and "holidays" are complete with so called "soul food". I was eating chicken, beef, turkey, seafood, and Collards and string beans seasoned with hamhocks (ugh...) etc. I wanted to keep my new diet but embraced the familiar cooking I grew up on. Well, After I ate all this "stuff", I went back to veggie eating and shortly after I suffered one of the worst cold/flu(?) bouts in my 24 yr. story. I later learned on www.blackconsciousness.com that my body was reacting this way to cleanse my body of this, um, "stuff". I've been on it since and haven't felt this energized since I was a little child! I was losing weight at first brother, I feel you. But with my new found energy I got on this workout kick and now a brother has more muscle tone than ever. Just balance that veggie/vegan diet with some strength training, aerobic, and MEDITATION(!) exercises. Overstand Pharoah, your decision to eat vegetarian SYMBOLIZES a higher thought pattern or frequency. This frequency, which comes from your HIGHER SELF(soul), will begin to re-program your mind, which in turn re-programs or adjusts your body to accomodate your healthier lifestyle. In other words, once you get your mind right your body will follow. Once you start to feel better as you say you already have, don't stop there! Now you can work on your SPIRITUAL NOURISHMENT and you will notice more levels to life than you thought were imaginable. Hope this has given you some in-sight. Peace.

3. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    YAYYYY!!! for you my brotha I have been vegetarian for almost 10 years and I dont regret it :)

4. AUM

AUM Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    What changes/benefits have you directly enjoyed as a result of your 10 years as a veg?

5. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    My body has never felt so good. My immune system is GREAT. Not too long ago I came down with Pneumonia but my system was so up and up the doctor told me i would be bed-ridden for 3 months...I was up and out in 2 weeks. Even she was amazed. I still stayed home for a month but that was out of precaution. I dont feel weighed down after meals. Even something as simple and yet vital as SLEEP is better. My mind is more alert and it gives me a sese of peace to know that I am HELPING my system be as it was intended. I could go on :lol: but I wont :)

I just feel GOOD :)

6. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I was thinking about becoming a vegetarian. How could a person who loves chicken and turkey substutute with something different that isn't a meat product? I've already cut out beef from my diet. That was easy. I want to do it because I do believe that eating meat causes disease and I want to be healtier, but I don't know how to go about doing it without "falling off the wagon" so to speak. Can someone recommend a book or something that might help me with a few dishes to start off with so I can gradually eliminate meat from my diet. I don't want to jump into it all at once, but I would like to be healthier in mind and body. Thanks fam.

7. Kannte

Kannte Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I have not eaten anything with a head on it (chuckle) since I was 18 and I don't regret in the least NOT eating anything with a head on it.

It is said that the rise in prostate cancer is due to meat eating.

You want to gain weight, eat a lot of carbohydrates, bread, pasta, etc. Yes, I will eat anything eggs, cheese, pasta, but nothing with a head.

8. nubian goddess

nubian goddess Member MEMBER

Lie Buster
    Ratings:
    +0
    Visit a slaughter house

Folks have always said
    Visit a slaughter house
    And this will cure your
    Taste for meat

Revolutionary Luv!!!

9. yahsistah

yahsistah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Musician
    Ratings:
    +1
    anotha veggie/ vegan!!!!!!!

Much Love to all my veggies out there. I have been a veggie for about 7 or 8 yrs now. I didn't do it cold turkey either. It was a process of elimination. I hadnt eaten pork since being forced to eat it as a small child. So first went the red meat, then the chicken, then the turkey, then the fish. I am allergic to eggs so that was never a prob, then went the cows milk, then I gave up my addiction CHEESE. I have never looked back, maybe dreamt about the cheese lol. But now I cannot imagine how I ever ate Meat and Dairy ever. My health is great and I hardly ever get sick. That in itself benefit enough!
    Shalom :jumping:

10. soulfulmixx

soulfulmixx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    brotha this was a much needed post.. fa real.. as a write this reply -- ive been thinking about becoming a "full -fledged" veggie myself.. and gathering as much research as i can.. this post helped me understand the need to take it slow..u kno taper or ween off gradually.. much love