Black People : I've Given Up Going To Clubs......Period

I've never been a huge clubber to begin with, but something happened to me the other night that will forever change my outlook on them. After leaving a friends birthday party, which was located in downtown houston (this fact is important to the story), a friend and I decided to go somewhere else to wrap up the evening. This somewhere else was located outside of dowtown Houston in area called "midtown." For those of you not familiar with Houston, midtown is a gentrified area that used to be known as the 4th ward or Freedmen's town (which were black neighborhoods). Honestly there is no difference between midtown and downtown imo. Both share the same streets and are in the same area, with the only main difference being a freeway that seperates the two.

Anyway me and my friend roll up to the club, because it's free to get in and approach the bouncer. We pull out our I.D.'s and I notice the bouncer taking a long look at my drivers license. After taking a solid 10-15 seconds glaring at my license, he then asks me to pull out another form of ID, because "I look to young in my drivers license photo??!??!??!??" I thought this was odd because

a.) everyone has always told me I look older than what I am
b.) even if he did think I "looked" under age, my legitimate drivers license said otherwise

So I go to pullout 2 more forms of I.D. and he still gives me the run around. He even had the nerve to ask if had a passport to show him. At this point it's blatantly obvious that he's trying to keep us of the club, because the color of our skin. Although the club is promoted as a "mixed" social setting, there is a certain quota of blacks (and other colored people) who are allowed to go inside. I end up snatching my license from dude, and telling him "you could've just told us you had enough black folks inside", and left.

To get to the main point of this post, it was apparent that we had crossed the "wrong" side of the railroad (the freeway), and that we should head back to our side of the tracks. Our side of the tracks = dowtown houston, which when it comes to night time entertainment consists of "black clubs" for the most part. As I sat in my crib last night it just go me to thinking of what we're really supporting when we go out to clubs??? I mean we could put the message out there not to support certain establishments, but we're still supporting "the" establishment when we do that. All that would create is even more blacks running to "black" clubs which aren't owned by us. So who's really winning in the end????

Like I mentioned earlier I'm not the hugest clubber, so I'm confident I can find other forms of entertainment,work,studying,reading,etc. to keep me occupied in my downtime. Even for those of us who love to party, it would be nice to see us to hold our own house parties, and not support these businesses. I'm confident in saying that Houston's dowtown night life couldn't come close to surviving without the money that black folks bring into it (parking, drinking, eating, paying to get in the club, paying the bailbondsmen to get your friend out of jail after they had too much to drink, etc.). Last night I officially decided not to support clubs and lounges anymore...it might be too extreme for some, but I think it will work for me.

let them go dog! There aint no thing but trouble up in there. I stay home that is a good way to keep money and stay safe!

I've never been a huge clubber to begin with, but something happened to me the other night that will forever change my outlook on them. After leaving a friends birthday party, which was located in downtown houston (this fact is important to the story), a friend and I decided to go somewhere else to wrap up the evening. This somewhere else was located outside of dowtown Houston in area called "midtown." For those of you not familiar with Houston, midtown is a gentrified area that used to be known as the 4th ward or Freedmen's town (which were black neighborhoods). Honestly there is no difference between midtown and downtown imo. Both share the same streets and are in the same area, with the only main difference being a freeway that seperates the two.

Anyway me and my friend roll up to the club, because it's free to get in and approach the bouncer. We pull out our I.D.'s and I notice the bouncer taking a long look at my drivers license. After taking a solid 10-15 seconds glaring at my license, he then asks me to pull out another form of ID, because "I look to young in my drivers license photo??!??!??!??" I thought this was odd because

b.) even if he did think I "looked" under age, my legitimate drivers license said otherwise

So I go to pullout 2 more forms of I.D. and he still gives me the run around. He even had the nerve to ask if had a passport to show him. At this point it's blatantly obvious that he's trying to keep us of the club, because the color of our skin. Although the club is promoted as a "mixed" social setting, there is a certain quota of blacks (and other colored people) who are allowed to go inside. I end up snatching my license from dude, and telling him "you could've just told us you had enough black folks inside", and left.

To get to the main point of this post, it was apparent that we had crossed the "wrong" side of the railroad (the freeway), and that we should head back to our side of the tracks. Our side of the tracks = dowtown houston, which when it comes to night time entertainment consists of "black clubs" for the most part. As I sat in my crib last night it just go me to thinking of what we're really supporting when we go out to clubs??? I mean we could put the message out there not to support certain establishments, but we're still supporting "the" establishment when we do that. All that would create is even more blacks running to "black" clubs which aren't owned by us. So who's really winning in the end????

Like I mentioned earlier I'm not the hugest clubber, so I'm confident I can find other forms of entertainment,work,studying,reading,etc. to keep me occupied in my downtime. Even for those of us who love to party, it would be nice to see us to hold our own house parties, and not support these businesses. I'm confident in saying that Houston's dowtown night life couldn't come close to surviving without the money that black folks bring into it (parking, drinking, eating, paying to get in the club, paying the bailbondsmen to get your friend out of jail after they had too much to drink, etc.). Last night I officially decided not to support clubs and lounges anymore...it might be too extreme for some, but I think it will work for me.

Brother Jahari, Don't give up on clubbing so quickly. I've heard that the 5th Ward is a safe, quiet, and friendly area to have a great time.

:bowdown:

Brotha entertainment itself is just a weapon of mass distraction (DIStrACTION) designed to keep our money, time and attention away from progressive endeavors.

Instead of thinking of it as "downtime" why not use it to pursue some of the dreams you thought were easier said than done?

I gave up yrs ago

I havent been 2 a club since 1997. I have been 2 every kinda of club u can think of and I have always found the same thing. Nonsense and drama. Be it white, black, mixed or watever, its always the same thing and the same type of ppl. I have met some down 2 earth women in clubs but for the most part it was crap. The last time I ventured into a club, i almost went 2 jail. U know how it goes, u bump somebody and say excuse me but the liquid courage they have been drinking all nite wont let that be good enough. The chest swells and the words flow. I never understood it, if we r their as men 2 meet women, how do u have time 2 fight? Needless to say, it errupted into someone being hurt and I swore then that would be the last time I crack a bro's head open(2 the white meat) unless it is sumtin serious. You have made the right choice Bro. Now use ur time furthering ur evolution of self.
Peace

I APPLAUD YOU BROTHER!!!!

Honestly, I do not like to say too much about people and their attending night clubs. I have gone turkey since I attened my "friends"(whatever you callits) birthday party. I wasn't even exited to go(it justn was her birthday). After that was my vow to not even step foot into one.
There are so many reasons why, which I have not the time to explain right now but it just an over-rated way to enjoy the worst things.(at least the ones I went to)
I would still love to attend Culture clubs and things like that. Peaceful, mind heightening kinds of clubs. But the other ones are......trash.
Good luck to you brother. I agree, if we spent less tryna get our haya and nails done and tryna get "hot" outfits for 100 bucks(and hot is the word) givin our money to negative profits. We could excel. I agree.
Bless you in your endevour

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back