Black Spirituality Religion : Itz so hard...

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Lloyd, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    To be a Christian,i mean a REAL one.You should avoid having sex before getting married otherwise God'll be angry!You should have a NEW behaviour;pray daily and read the Bible,praise and worship the Lord Jesus,have Christian friends -though some of'em are...dude-.My pastor told me to do my best to avoid listening to the rap music because it gives a praise to the devil;money,drugs and so on!Music has been created to worship the lord,and what doesn't glorify Jesus glorify the ennemy.But he also told me that i should do so unless i'll be CONVINCE that it gives a cult to the evil.What u do without a conviction is sin.
    Sometimes i'm so AFRAID of that!My God...NO SEX TILL THE MARRIAGE,ALCOHOL FAR AWAY,RAP AVOID...Itz so hard,itz so hard!!!

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace Lloyd,

I'm not quit sure what a "REAL" christian is at this point?

Rap music, though is not the devil's music....so I respectfully must disagree with your preacher! As I'm sure that he (as many other preachers) have a couple of "religious RAP" Cd's of their own......Is a voice only supposed to be heard if they mention the name of Jesus??

- SHould not everyone be allowed to "vent" using this arena called "Rap"....& I want to know from those who put down Rap music, what they know about Hip-Hop and the difference between the 2??

- because if your preacher does not know, then he is not qualified to speak on the subject of RAP at all....................

- & who or what is that enemy? so when a preacher continually quotes paul, who is he glorifying? when churces have offering and ask those with $100, then $50 to stand who are they glorifying??

- & again I must ask, what does your preacher or anyone's preacher think that our ancestors did b4 this Western religion called christianity was forced upon us? Now it seems that these so-called preachers use guilt to keep us mentally shackled!!

do you really think the slave masters changed
    when they removed the shackles and chains
    or was it that they knew that thru 400 years of pain
    Christianity had been branded inside our brains...........

3. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    This kind of suppression only increases a person's desire to do these things. If you've been brainwashed into thinking these things are evil and yet you desire to do them then you must of a necessity also believe the idea that you yourself are evil. Such beliefs make one perpetually dependent on the clergy and their ideas about God but they don't build you up spiritually.

If you are not growing spiritually--if you are just being indoctrinated for someone else's purposes have you asked why? Have you looked deeply--listened fluently to what is really being taught? The alternative is not to run out and do the wild thing in a wild way or start cussing and smoking whatever will burn. The solution is to look deep within yourself and discern between what principles God has really given you and what is just the squeamishness imposed on you by the Church. Then cultivate an attitude towards sex and music that glorifies God as your Creator not your tormentor.

4. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    wow.

2 many don'ts. it's like you're living on eggshells. l don't know how old you are, but experience will teach you more about God than anything. l'm glad youi have someone who cares for you as your pastor, but there are other genres of music besides gospel that's good for the soul and not just rap. There are positive mc's out there. Doing music myself, l know it's not all bad.
    As far as sex goes, with so many high-risk diseases and pregnancies (as well as emotional attachments) going on, l think this "don't" is a fair warning.
    This society is so crappy. Broad is the way to destruction, narrow is the way to life. You sound like a young man who's being tempted. My best advice to you is to learn and see past the moment into future consequences and live accordingly. Easier said than done, l know.
    lt all comes back to Christ and you'll see.

peace.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for what u've said!Brotha j'hiah i'm 20 years old and yeah..i've am tempted.I'll be glad if you let me be more informed
    Info-moetry,don't worry about me,i'm wiser than u can imagin!I think if my pastor says so itz to prevent some things...u know,having sex can be a bad thing for a girl or for me if i fall in love and then be deceived -i'll act like a crazy man after because my soul will be deeply touched-.Rap...makes me be MORE violent!!!But i like rap,and itz hard to leave it.Anyway,the way u think is right.
    River,i'm not brainwashed!!!But...u know,sometimes when u wanna take a decision...u are tempted to see what will please u,not God

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    You know I've found sometimes that it's not so much about what pleases God as it is about what others say will please God. Certainly it is wise to avoid something that will make you act violently and it is not rap music itself but the lyrics. There's even some gospel music that I've had to put down--songs that tell me I'm tired, weak, worn out, climbing up the rock side of the mountain--anything that does not speak life to your spirit is not of God even if it calls itself gospel or praise or whatever.

As for sex and going crazy over a girl I'm not one to tell you to just go for it since I myself was a virgin until I was 23 and I made my boyfriend date me for two years before IT happened. It just seems strange to me to use negative methods like guilt and fear to motivate people to do a good thing like respect their body.

Reinforcing your fear of what loving a girl will do to your mind will not help you grow spiritually as a man. Instead why not develop your inner man to understand and direct (not control and suppress) that part of you that God created you to be. Do you really think it pleases God for you to walk around fearaing what he created rather than understanding it?

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I am 19 years-old, and I have learned that regardless of age, I have to find God the VERY second I find out that I have to find God. The minute that we learn that we must seek God's love, that is when we shall seek God's love. Also, you must know that if you have not inherited the Kingdom of God yet, you have to do it NOW! Otherwise, things will not look good.
    John 3:3 In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.

John 3:5- Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

Tempted by what? You can't be tempted by God.
    James 1:13-15 When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

When I think about, Rap music is not bad; Hardcore/Gangster Rap is HORRIBLE! We listen to Gangsta music all day, watch rap videos, then we wonder why:

AIDS/STDs are so high
    Young people are in the club Saturday night, but in the bed sleeping through sunday school and service

Teen pregnancy is so high
    Black-on-Black crime is so high
    More blacks are in prison than in Education

We are living in a society where people want things that are easy, and not something that is hard. Was MLK going to back-and-forth to jail EASY? Was Marcus Garvey going to prison EASY? Was Nelson Mandela going to prison EASY? Was earning the rights of voting, public access, and freedom EASY? Hard work needed to be done from HARD-WORKING people! Going to heaven is not EASY - it is not supposed to be EASY. God gave us Knowledge, Wisdom, and Understanding; How you use them determines where you end up in life. He did not give us the ability to RUN, BACK DOWN, or say, "IT'S TOO HARD." That is the first thing that the Devil says to you when you have a challenging assignment. Remember, God performs SUPERNATURALLY, while we perform naturally. We need to get rid of that demon inside of us that is sating that it is too hard.

CD

8. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29

Hi there,

I feel you.... I was 21 yrs old when I started going to church. I have always LOVED music, and LOVED to dance, and I still do, so it was really hard for me to stop jammin to my sounds and stop doing my dance.

For me going to church was all about making a quality decision and learning how to get more out of life than I was currently getting, cuz at the rate I was going I did not see any exit signs pointing in a postive direction, so I started going to church, and I must say that was a good choice for me, as that gave me some meaning and direction to my life. So having said all that I did stop going to parties, drinking, and smoking.

Now, as far as sex, well....... I had already been there and done that cuz I did know that my body was my temple, I just did not know any better, so I had to stop until we were married, and we did get married (smile) was it hard to stop, of course, cuz at that time we were living together, but I was determined that we should stop until we were married,(please note this is what worked for us), are we still together, yes we are.

Now, as far as the music, I had to stop listening to my jams, cuz I was determined to make the new lifesytle work for, I was willling to at least give it a chance to see if it worked. I just said to myself, I was doing my thing for the last 9 yrs, so let me at least give this new lifestyle a chance. So listening to music and doing the party scene was just not an option for me. Now, since I have grown in my spritual walk, I do listen to music and appreciate some good quality music. As far as going to parties, I still don't do the club scene, that's just not me. I started doing the party scene when I was 14yrs with a fake I.D. that said I was 18yrs....get the picture? Too hot for my own good.

I think that once you grow in your christian walk you will be able to determine what works for you. If listening to "Rap" music causes you to want to please the flesh, than maybe you should not take that route. You have to do what works for you, cuz only you and God know how he created you. Now, please don't mis-understand me, I am in noway advising that you dishonor you Pastor, what he shares with you, is between you, him & God. Always remember....God knows, and remember everyone miss the mark from time to time.... that is why 1 John 1:9 is in the Bible, it was written just for you, me, and everyone else who miss it from time to time, as no-one on this earth is perferct or without sin or some kind.

May God continue to Richly Bless you and give you wisdom and knowledge! :)

9. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29
    Info-Moetry....

Now, I can truly appreciate what you are sharing here, however, I have a quick question for you. Are you lumping all the "preacher" in one basket? Because if you are, that is not a safe assesment. I am sure you can agree that there is good and bad in everthing, so saying that all of them are misleading some of the people is just not cool.

I have to admit that since I made my transition I am a much better person, one who has purpose to her life, and this was under the direction of my "preacher" I truly believe that at that point in my life if I had not made the turn when I did, I don't know what type of person I would be today, or even if I would be here to even post to this thread.

10. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Have you considered listening to Christian rap? If you want to listen to that type of music that much then perhaps you should try to listen to rap that would 'glorify the Lord.' I think the main problem with rap are the lyrics, not the style.

As far as sex... this is a hard one for many people. I think if you are to continue abstaining until marriage, it is very, VERY important you find a woman who believes in that type of lifestyle. Otherwise, you may want to re-think how you want to approach your faith, whether you want to continue on a conservative approach, a liberal mindset, or changing it completely. It is not good to have a guilty spirit unless one's actions warrant such feelings.