It's just window dressing...

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Regina, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why do Black women go to the hair salon to keep their hairstyles current and looking good, buy makeup, get regular pedicures and manicures but will not maintain a regime of healthy exercise and diet? It's just window dressing. No amount of makeup, clothing, hair, or nails will make an unhealthy body look good for too long.

Black women are among the most obese in the country. Black women are spending much money on clothing, hair, nails, etc. but will not spend money on health care and exercise.

We must turn this trend around...

2. NADIA*BINTA

NADIA*BINTA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    very good point sistah... i agree completely... we must turn this trend around, but where to begin? :)... especially for those who don't see the importance of a healthy diet and exercise.

3. SwtT

SwtT Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educational/Human Resources field
    Ratings:
    +28
    Man you make a really good point.... I guess because the majority of woman think that they can eat whatever they want and it won't go anywhere( the fat I mean) But little do they know that those days are over...!!! When I was 14, I started putting on a lot of weight and eventually I had to take up running just to keep myself in good shape. I think that Black woman care too much about the other appearanc than high cholestrerol, Which has an uncanny sense of just finding black women....but I guess that thats another thread

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I'm starting to see evidence of Black women wanting and living healthier lives. Groups in my community are walking, swimming and sharing healthier food recipes. Some of us are members of the local branch of the Black Women's Health Project where we get together to also provide emotional support while we discuss some of the most intimate issues in our personal lives that often cause us unhealthy stress. It's my experience when talking to other Black women that they are just as concerned about obesity, diabetes, heart disease and hypertension--all leading killers of Blacks today. I've heard women tell me that food has become their friend--in other words, they're eating for all the wrong reasons. But even large women want to look good--hair, nails, clothes so we shouldn't discourage this self-pampering if it gives them some reason to feel good about themselves. Larger women shouldn't walk around looking unappealing until she has successfully dealt with her weight loss. So yes, in a way it's window dressing, as it can be even for slim women. But let's not be hasty by "throwing out the baby with the bathwater." Let's not assume that all Black women we see dressed to the nines isn't trying to do something to also be healthy as well as beautiful.

The trend might be slow, but I think we're making some headway. Oprah has helped over the years with her personal but well publicized struggle with her weight. Not all large-sized women are obese or unhealthy but I agree, being as healthy as possible should always be a priority because I want my sisters to be happier than what they ever expected they could be.

Good topic. Peace!

5. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    To be truthful, most men like the natural look without makeup or very little makeup, no added hair or nails. They like a natural, healthy and well-groomed woman.