Black Atheists : It's impossible to be an Atheist from an (general) African perspective

Thank you Mr. James from Philly for your response and commentary. In reply, it is equally an illumination on one's ignorance to comment in the way you did without first, at least, asking about how African people define "deity" (in general) and "god" (in particular). Let's take a basic definition of a "atheism" from Wiki.

Provided the above, it is clear that one could not be an atheist, for example, in the Bakongo, Kalenjiin, Amazulu, Akan, or ancient Egyptian belief systems. "God" is defined in these wisdom-traditions as "existence itself." God is described as an "infinity." Therefore, nothing can exist outside the Infinity: everything exists within the Infinity (there is no such thing as supernatural). Since God is 'existence' (e.g., Ukobo in isiZulu), then you cannot be an a-theist in these traditions because one cannot exist and then deny that existence doesn't exist, even one's very own existence. The point being is that Black people have entered many European arguments uncritically and have adopted their worldview and labels. In a tradition where God is existence itself, then one cannot exist (as a part of the existant) and then deny one's own existence, and by extention God itself.

You have a good day sir.

Actually, imhotep, respectfully speaking, you are overlooking the fact that a "belief system" has to be believed. If it is not believed (or not taught, passed on, etc.) then there will always be members of the population who will not subscribe to its rules. So... just as I am ignorant to all the wealth of African traditions and belief systems (spanning an entire continent)... I cannot logically conclude that everyone from Africa, past or present, has always been aware of every African tradition and every belief system since... Africa is a continent so large that every other country could fit into it. So just as I cannot claim to know every religious belief in America I couldn't assume an African would know either; especially if they had no interest.

Now if you could somehow guarantee... that every African has at least been indoctrinated into some belief system, then we can stipulate to an assumption that they would all think of God or gods according to the rules of said system. They are equally as free to be ignorant of these belief systems as I am. And I'm happy not knowing every single belief system because no god, African or otherwise, has ever told me they exist.

Now what I do know... is that it is accepted in many cultures that "God" is defined as the "ultimate existence" and so all of these sort of all inclusive superlatives are added due to the amount of awe and respect. However, these, at the end of the day... the people who are making these "rules" aren't gods, children of the gods, or priests in communication with the gods. They're just people like you and me. But they believe and therefore they make up rules in order to satisfy their own beliefs and opinions; having no bearing on fact. And if it is possible for me to see all of this coming from the imaginations of men, it is also possible for billions of Africans to think the same thing and reject all religion and religious notions of deities, no matter how universal they define them.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back