Black People : It's 2011, are we making progress?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Apr 26, 2011.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Okay Obama has been in office for 2 years now. But besides that, are we making progress? If so, how?

I think someone asked this...But my searching capabilities on Destee aren't the best.

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    According to the recent National Urban League, research and statistics, in their recent State of black America report,

the national African American community has declined to a worse condition in 2010 then when we were in in 2009.

But look at what has happened in

Agriculture, Energy,

Economics, Military, Health care, Education, Public housing, Public services, Personal Privacy,

in the past 2 years, and how that has effected every American and how it has effected us

3. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +879
    Wow, after two full term Bush presidents, let's not forget the conditions of this country when President Obama was elected into office...a MESS. He was extremely honest when he said "America, it will get worse before it gets better."

In my opinion, you have to get things back on a right path before you can start to make progress, we were way on left field without a road map, but now I can see the direction and trust progress will come.

The healthcare bill is a huge hurting for many...and the jury is still out on that and will be through the end of his term.

The billions upon billions spent on war, I understand the President's mission to pull out our troops, but how you phase them out must be done methodically so I'm not surprised that it's not been done.

All I can say is the Bush administration really got us in deep, it will take longer than one term in office to really see some progress.

4. CreativeGrl

CreativeGrl Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    That's a hard question to answer. For every one statistic about the black community that has improved over the years, there's another statistic about us that has gotten worse. It's like we haven't really improved or gotten worse, we've just traded in one set of issues for another.

When I moved to Atlanta I thought to myself, "Wow, so many successful, wealthy, educated, business-minded black people concentrated in one place, this is great. Look at how far we've come. But then when you take a closer look at things you see the crabs-in-a-barrel syndrome amongst our people is just as rampid as it ever was.

Some (not all) of those successful black people got where they are by taking advantage of other brothers and sisters, using them to get what they want, then once their wealth was obtained, disassociating themselves from the same people who got them there in the first place.

I then thought that as far as we've come as a people, just imagine how much further we would we be if our successes were gained by capitalizing on each others' strengths as opposed to taking advantage of each others' weaknesses.

Sometimes progress can be a double edged sword. What good is the progress of one of us if it comes at the expense of another one of us?

5. ManicRaider

ManicRaider Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +166
  6. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Update!

.......Of the eight(8) Important Statistics that Black America Needs To Recognize Now, the most serious and alarming for me...and not easy to conclude as such, would be this:

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, β€œThe racial composition of the US prison and jail population as of 2008 was 60.21% (African American (non-Hispanic), 20.29% Hispanic, 13.44% White American (non-Hispanic) , and 6.06% Other (American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander American, and Multiracial American).”

Relative to black on black crime, the most recent government statistics indicated that β€œ43% of all murder victims in 2007 were African American, 93.1% of whom were killed were African Americans.”

Incarceration and Crime​

[​IMG]

http://atlantapost.com/2011/02/09/8...-black-america-should-pay-attention-to-now/6/

7. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    As a local black activist friend once said: "It don't look good (for us)!"

We can only hope and pray better days are ahead if we truly unite in our own best interests and quit waiting on 'experts' aka emergency financial managers and/or black elected officials to save us!

Too many of our folk have grown too confortable merely being specators up in the bleachers cheering or jeering us:

Long overdue for them to get involved/suit up/and replace some of our lost players etc.

:SuN020:

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    IMHO what the bottom line is do we as a people, become a statistic living from year to year, or do we organize to plan for ourselves and the future of our children, so that we no longer become a product of our environment but our environment becomes a product of us.

Since we watched the Monica Lewinsky soap opera,
    back then,
    we forgot about the drastic cuts in welfare, the destruction of Glass Steagal that harmed our homes, pensions and life savings,
    GATT and NAFTA that impoverished millions of Black families whose bread winners lost employment

and had the great opportunity to realize that the doggone darn GOP mean us no doggone good
    and we should have rallied together for some real aspects, no matter how small of black nationalism

when that idiot

took office after Clinton.

Now what exactly did we unify collectivly to do to improve our statistics for eight years of living under the regime of that nut job?

realy what did we do or achieve nation wide, to achieve some level of self sufficiency, teen remediation, nationwide black education enrichment programs or self employment structures?

So here we are now 2011

Now what ?

will we start to unify and plan around the common problems and hell in each and every Black community across the nation?

or will we be here 2 years later discussing what happened?:em2700:

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    NO

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Nice idea but no group of people, race, ethnicity or nationality, are self motivating individually, and every group had needed a spark to set off their present proseprity and condition.

otherwise we would be living in a condition in this corporatocray that would make North Korea look like Granada

The Arabs in Kemet may not have achieved any thing more then something symbolic but it was a small group that set millions into motion

and something that can be codified was accomplished.