Black People : It takes a village to raise a child

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by African_Prince, Aug 31, 2009.

1. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    What do you think of the idea that the community as a whole should be responsible for a child's upbringing/well-being rather than his or her parents alone?

I would love to live in a society where everyone on the block was an aunty, uncle, cousin, brother, sister, grandmother etc. and the distinctions between separate families were less important than they are today.

2. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    That is how I

roll...I correct ALL kids if they need it. Talk to them about literacy, what are they reading..etc..how is school going..yep..all that

3. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    Of course, raising children is the responsibility of the community. But we have let the media convince us that we are all "individuals", while at the same time this society does everything to track stats by race that further its assertion that "Whites" are supreme.

We can't continue to let this lie confuse our children. Telling them that they are individuals on the one hand, while treating like members of some dysfunctional group on the other.

4. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    I still do not understand how a man from Jamaica without any great welth during the time of Jim Crow and colonization and Blacks not allowed access to technology, had folks globaly united for the benefit of the race and all of our children,

and here we are with cell phones, Ipods, Blackberries, internet, myspace, facebook, and twitter, 400 cable channels, and unable to network to put together a national childrens program, with at least a percentage of the 800 billion dollars,
    I don't get it
    Folks left blueprints regarding community based education back in the 70s and 80s

5. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771

It's simple really, folks are inside their homes, don't connect on many levels and don't often stay any were long enough to create communities that care. At lease that"s what I see.

6. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    hey african prince i got some bad news for you my brother,those days are long gone,in this sad state of affairs it's everyman for himself folks just aren't gonna look out for one another like when i was a kid and had[uncle this and aunt that]to watch out for you and spank that backside too if you got out of hand then march you home and you'd get it again,where talking back to an adult was out of the question[today's five year olds say cuss words that would make a sailor blush]i've heard em,no my brother those cherished values have gone the way of the[dodo bird]so if you see a young one acting up you had better be real sure before you put him or her in place because the parents of today think that their little angels can do no wrong[believe me i've been there]and that village you speak of is just a ghost town.

7. CITIZEN

CITIZEN Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +144
    The idea sounds great....

I remember those days well. Adults were to be respected. However, we don't live in those times anymore. I would not trust my children with just anyone.

8. Putney Swope

Ratings:
    +139
    With the money , You and i spent on salt chips and snacky cakes

...in the past month, and chicken wings and lottery tickets from city to city and state to state,
    we could have developed and designed an entire elementary level, Africn centered, high-tech oriented Home-Learning, full lessons on line and audio and video, made available FREE to every Black household in the nation, for home schooling or as a supplement to the public schools, as well as providing the assurance of a grade school African history curriculum

9. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771

I would love to see this happen here at destee's. I'm sure there are many here that could contribute to the curriculum. I would love to contribute about African fighting systems and about young men coming of age!

Thanks for bringing this up!

AXE!

10. Putney Swope

Ratings:
    +139
    Here only to serve