Brother's Only Chat : IT Project Interest thread

anAfrican said:
this is an area that i am quite interested in, but from a hands-on do it yourself perspective. i'd like to offer/build/support/maintain community based technology demonstraton/"training" learning resource centers that allow for community members (the African Family Community, in whichever "hood" it is in!) to gain enough understanding and familiarity that they can put together the stuff that they need to do what they need to do, not what the $upremelunatic $y$tem limit$ them to.

if you would, oldsoul, you "heard" what i was offering in chat. (shoot, didn't have to be in chat to hear what was i saying since i have been saying the same thing ever since i got here.) as a "community" project, i'd love to build, manage and maintain the infrastructure to support the communication needs ... ... (if i said "systems administrator", "systems integrator", "systems designer" would that make more sense?) i'm a hardware guy; i'll keep the hardware running so everybody can do the consultancy/cad/whatever stuff. i ain't looking for the "chee$e", i'm looking for Progress for My Global African Family Community: ain't nobody gotta pay me to do that!

"where there is a will there is a way":

for educational/familiarization purposes there is a planet full of "dumpster/legacy technology" that is going into landfills. this hardware does work. fortunately, it won't do the "late$t and greate$t", so won't be as subjected to the "malware war", but can still be configured to do the basics of all the stuff. for basic learning, all the gimmick$ just get in the way, and is quite too much stuff to try to grasp all at once. once the basics are fully understood, folks can take that knowledge and teach themselves all of that other stuff ... if they think they want/need it. but at least they'll be ABLE and WILLING to THINK the thing through FOR THEMSELVES.

good luck, y'all, i hope your effort$ get $omeplace. sadly, when you get there, you'll have a $tructure that perpetuate$ all the crap that you are $creaming to get out from under! ain't no way to get out from under that crap$tructure a$ long a$ you are u$ing that crap$structure to get $omeplace that the crap$tructure you are implementing is expre$$ly de$igned to keep you from getting to!!

ah well. $ince i have long refu$ed to get jacked by working the $y$tem cha$ing that delu$ional dream, I can't $peak the language$ that are all that you can hear,

well, i've gotta go try to figure out how to save some of my lab: i have to move by the 15th and am still no closer to the pulmonary/physical therapy that would help me to do the work than i was when this mess jumped off in october. and, of cour$e, i don't have the dollar$ to do it. ah well; i guess if i my heart/lungs quit on me while trying to do this, i will have died trying! YES IT IS THAT BAD, but i don't have any choice. ("help"? "family"? "friends?" <sigh> well i guess that stuff works in theory, but it hasn't really worked for me when i need it.) the only "coin" that i can offer for "hands on, get this done NOW" quality "help/support" is my lab, my tech skills, my hardware/electronics knowledge and my "Unconditional Love" driven desire to build a telecommunications infrastructure in support of my African Family Community.

AnAfrican, how can we help?

Setting up the infrastructure for community-based learning/training is definitely doable. We should collab on that. Maybe we can work out a structure where you can receive compensation which may help you towards your medical needs.

I will say we have to be willing to keep an open mind and not get caught up in the quasi-religious debates over competing technology.

If an open-source solution makes the most sense for a particular purpose then go for it. If a commercial vendor, even a microsoft, has a better overall package once you consider support, incentives, philanthropic opportunities...etc...then be willing to take advantage of it.

A lot of fanatical anti-microsoft/pro open-source developers don't understand that behind most all major open source initiatives are venture capitalists who are far more cut-throat and $$$ focused than microsoft.

At the end of the day everybody has to eat and be able to take care of their necessities and until a replacement system is devised that requires acknowledging that $ are required to do that.

anAfrican said:
realistically, i guess there isn't much that can be done other than some hands-on sort of stuff.

the fantasy/dream is that one of the African Governments, or even some of those billions that Africans give to everybody else, could be used to land a medium sized cargo aircraft, carrying a couple of trucks, at Paine Field, load me up, fill the rest of the plane with as much "dumpster tech" as it will hold and transport it to one of those former slave-processing centers. i think that it would be a very strong and very good thing to seek to "repurpose" those spaces into the export of African Brain Power for OUR benefit rather than the export of African bodies for everybody else's benefit.

<shrug> well, i can dream can't i? i know the reality of katrina, but i do keep hoping!

definitely: i have one right here that i am trying to save for usage somewhere. granted, it's a "napkin sketch" prototype, and it is all older than most would care to mess with. but the beauty of that is that it is all simple enough that it will serve admirably to introduce hardware components and subsystems.that's what i was thinking: "collab" on "a [physical] structure" to test out what we would then mirror/replicate into other community LRCs. store front, warehouse, house with basement or an apartment could serve both the need for that testing/incubating space to work out what the thing is as well as to provide me with a space to live and something to do that i could use to keep me enough occupied that i could dump these danged cigs.

medical needs are covered, but that'll be after i get this stuff moved into storage and then go find someplace to live.

the only drawback to the commercial solution is that the commercial solution is designed to disallow exactly what it is that i am suggesting. the way things have been going in this society, there is no longer any incentive to doing hands on stuff since one can always call a tech, or take it to the shop. learning/knowing how to DIY gives an internal "d4mn rights i can do this!" boost to those all important senses of SelfIndependence and SelfConfidence. and it cuts down on repair bills, maintenance contracts, vendor lock-in and waiting until a tech can get to the site. (some repairs can be done remotely, some require that the case be opened.)

my reason for the "quasi-religious debate" is that i am a fanatical fundamentalist true believer in the value of SelfThinking, SelfConfidence, SelfWorth. knowing enough about this technology (as a beginning) that one is no longer concerned about what hardware or software platform one is running on, one is able to do every bit of what ever that one needs to do. it is not so much about "fanatical anti-microsoft/pro open-source" as it is about "fanatical anti-'you don't have to worry, we'll do all the configuring/thinking for you(but we aren't gonna tell ya about any gotchas or hooks)' vs pro-'after you have sweated through configuring it all yourself, it runs the way YOU want it, YOU know about all of the hooks and gotchas, it fits YOUR hardware, and you have the confidence of knowing that you KNOW what is going on all the time'": knowing how to rig a fishing pole and getting your own, or going to the store and getting what they figure is going to give them the best "margins".

actually, behind most of the "open source initiatives" is a geek that had/has something that they want/need, so they built it. i guess you are seeing the bit after they've worked through the thing to where it is functional enough that someone wants to buy/market/squash it. you are correct in the sense that venture capitalists are cut-throat; but they didn't write the code, most may not even know how to code or care about the relative merits of this chip over that chip. nor care anymore about various PCB layout patterns.

again, i'm talking about being able to implement the layer of knowledge that must exist before there is something that business, venture capitalists or marketers will even pay attention to.

begging your pardon, but this sure sounds a lot like the justifications used ever since the first viking hit these shores! the only thing that these dollars are doing is messing up this planet, dividing communities into "gots to provide for my family vs sorry to see your family failing, but i gots to gets mines" and maintaining a "dog eat dog cut-throat" environment. an LRC of this nature is one of the first steps toward devising that replacement system.

dollars are required to keep everything just the way it is with all the environmental and human rights issues.

I'm with you in spirit but I guess I'm just more practical.

The way I see it the open source guru can't build the next widget if he/she can't keep the lights on.

The only people who can get by on this bandwagon talking about they don't care about $$ have somebody around them that has a whole bunch of them.

I do agree with you about needing to learn core skills so our people can build entirely new platforms, but I think using our creativity to build new models on existing platforms is EQUALLY important.

Maybe we can put our minor philosophical differences aside and figure out how to work together.

Skills List

Maybe we should follow in the direction Kwabena was heading and have people list out their current skills and those they may want to learn in the future. Also indicate which skills you know well enough to be able to teach.

Current Proficiencies I could teach now:

Datawarehousing Methodologies (kimball/inmon)

Back-end Databases: (SQL 7/2000/2005, Oracle 8i/9i/10g,
Sybase 12...lil taste of db2)

Integration (SSIS, BizTalk, some webmethods, some informatica, some datastage)

Data Mining (clustering, market basket, decision trees, SPSS, SAS, SQL Server Analysis Services)

Modeling (Erwin/PowerDesigner)

Everything to do with Reporting, info delivery & Business Intelligence (won't list out all the reporting and analytics tools...they're all different flavors of the same nut anyway)

Languages:
T-SQL/PL-SQL, C#, VB.NET, heavy MDX

New Stuff I'm getting into that I'll be able to teach by year's end:

Performance Management and business process methodologies

enterprise content management & search (Sharepoint 2007 is HOT right now)

Starting to play with Ruby on Rails and some open-source BI (jaspersoft & pentaho)

Areas I'd like to bone up on if I had time:

service-oriented architectures...especially in the data integration space

networking & infrastructure stuff

Advanced security & risk mitigation stuff

The technical & business side of managed hosting

anAfrican said:
i don't think we are on the same page here.

when i think "IT Project", i'm thinking circuit/circuit board/software design on up. it seems to me that y'all are talking leveraging somebody else's applications/services on top of somebody else's hardware.

ok, yeah; there is gonna be a rent/mortgage cost, there are gonna be costs for power, plumping and [telecommunications]pipes. i got that covered (i "only" have to get the stuff from here to there, but it looks like when i get there, i may not have it anymore) enough for a space to house enough of the technology spectrum that enough folks can/might show enough interest to say "hey! we need a few more dollars to make this work because we have x amount of people that want to get up off the streets and/or out of that mess and are interested in learning more". this is what i mean by a pilot project.

AnAfrican what I was saying earlier is both aspects are equally important. Its good to be skilled enough and open-minded enough to be able to develop your platforms, or even your own hardware and circuit boards and what not. That's not my area of expertise so I'm not going to have much to contribute in that regard. That doesn't mean I don't see the value.

But I also know it would be difficult to build something new without first having knowledge or command of what's already been built.

I see cats all the time that take an existing platform and extend it to meet a hole in the market and make things happen for themselves.

So i'm heavily biased in that I see the biggest value in the ideas and what people are able to build rather than focusing on what technology platform they built it on.

So having said that let's talk about this project.

I'm on board with the concept of providing training for our community.

I'm on board with making sure we do MORE than just teaching how to use a few popular appilications...but I don't see anything wrong with doing that.

Not everyone wants to be visionaries, some people just want to pay the bills and buy the kids school clothes and support their families. A lot of the apps that are in demand now are not difficult to learn and are not difficult for people to create an experience record for themselves.

So I'd like to see us offer training via collective projects that allow people who are interested to not only learn but to come out of our training with tangible experience that enables them to get their foot in the door with existing companies or figure out a way to start their own.

So in addition to low-cost, throw-away hardware/platforms that you'd want AnAfrican to teach basics, we'd also need an up to date training platform that deals with the leading edge.

As for funds, I agree, no point in worrying about specific funding sources at this point, but we can start brainstorming about general approaches.

Maybe this can be organized as a non-profit....aren't there some Destee regulars that work for non-profits who could help us get started?

My Current Skill Set:

Unix and Linux Administration, Support and Training
Windows Support, Training and Administration
Project Management
Six Sigma
SDLC
PC Design, repair and troubleshoot
Buisness Process design and implementation
Non Profit Technology design and implementation
IT Business Analysis
IT Training
Basic HTML/C++/Java
Desktuop Publishing
Knowledge Management Administration
IT recruiting and IT Sales

Things I am currently learning:

C++ and Database design
Project Management (Imporving)
Six Sigma
Rational Unified Proces (RUP)
UML

Things I will have by the end of the year:

C++ and Database programming skills
Stronger Six Sigma knowledge
RUP
UML
Stronger Project Management Skills
Better IT Leadership Skills

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back