Brother's Only Chat : IT Project Interest thread

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by MANASIAC, May 2, 2007.

1. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    For all Brothers in Destee.com who are involved in the IT Field, this thread was created for us to talk about Projects with IT.

Here are some ideas:

IT Training facilities for youth

Networking with others in the IT field to create consulting opportunities and job opportunities for us.

And any other ideas that you would like to suggest.

Thank you!

2. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I'm in. No matter what is decided count me in as a foot soldier.

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Study:

Computer-Aided Design (CAD)

Computer-Aided Graphics Design

Virtual Graphics

Online Shopping

Networking

HTML/Web Publishing

Computer Engineering

How WAN/LANs work

More to come...

KM

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Indeed i'm in as a supporter and love of the outcome count me in too

5. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I am sorry to hear that you are going through some health issues, anything I or the group can do to help please let us know.

6. kemetkind

Ratings:
    +61

AnAfrican, how can we help?

Setting up the infrastructure for community-based learning/training is definitely doable. We should collab on that. Maybe we can work out a structure where you can receive compensation which may help you towards your medical needs.

I will say we have to be willing to keep an open mind and not get caught up in the quasi-religious debates over competing technology.

If an open-source solution makes the most sense for a particular purpose then go for it. If a commercial vendor, even a microsoft, has a better overall package once you consider support, incentives, philanthropic opportunities...etc...then be willing to take advantage of it.

A lot of fanatical anti-microsoft/pro open-source developers don't understand that behind most all major open source initiatives are venture capitalists who are far more cut-throat and $$$ focused than microsoft.

At the end of the day everybody has to eat and be able to take care of their necessities and until a replacement system is devised that requires acknowledging that $ are required to do that.

7. kemetkind

Ratings:
    +61
    I'm with you in spirit but I guess I'm just more practical.

The way I see it the open source guru can't build the next widget if he/she can't keep the lights on.

The only people who can get by on this bandwagon talking about they don't care about $$ have somebody around them that has a whole bunch of them.

I do agree with you about needing to learn core skills so our people can build entirely new platforms, but I think using our creativity to build new models on existing platforms is EQUALLY important.

Maybe we can put our minor philosophical differences aside and figure out how to work together.

8. kemetkind

Ratings:
    +61
    Skills List

Maybe we should follow in the direction Kwabena was heading and have people list out their current skills and those they may want to learn in the future. Also indicate which skills you know well enough to be able to teach.

Current Proficiencies I could teach now:

Datawarehousing Methodologies (kimball/inmon)

Back-end Databases: (SQL 7/2000/2005, Oracle 8i/9i/10g,
    Sybase 12...lil taste of db2)

Integration (SSIS, BizTalk, some webmethods, some informatica, some datastage)

Data Mining (clustering, market basket, decision trees, SPSS, SAS, SQL Server Analysis Services)

Modeling (Erwin/PowerDesigner)

Everything to do with Reporting, info delivery & Business Intelligence (won't list out all the reporting and analytics tools...they're all different flavors of the same nut anyway)

Languages:
    T-SQL/PL-SQL, C#, VB.NET, heavy MDX

New Stuff I'm getting into that I'll be able to teach by year's end:

Performance Management and business process methodologies

enterprise content management & search (Sharepoint 2007 is HOT right now)

Starting to play with Ruby on Rails and some open-source BI (jaspersoft & pentaho)

Areas I'd like to bone up on if I had time:

service-oriented architectures...especially in the data integration space

networking & infrastructure stuff

Advanced security & risk mitigation stuff

The technical & business side of managed hosting

9. kemetkind

Ratings:
    +61

AnAfrican what I was saying earlier is both aspects are equally important. Its good to be skilled enough and open-minded enough to be able to develop your platforms, or even your own hardware and circuit boards and what not. That's not my area of expertise so I'm not going to have much to contribute in that regard. That doesn't mean I don't see the value.

But I also know it would be difficult to build something new without first having knowledge or command of what's already been built.

I see cats all the time that take an existing platform and extend it to meet a hole in the market and make things happen for themselves.

So i'm heavily biased in that I see the biggest value in the ideas and what people are able to build rather than focusing on what technology platform they built it on.

So having said that let's talk about this project.

I'm on board with the concept of providing training for our community.

I'm on board with making sure we do MORE than just teaching how to use a few popular appilications...but I don't see anything wrong with doing that.

Not everyone wants to be visionaries, some people just want to pay the bills and buy the kids school clothes and support their families. A lot of the apps that are in demand now are not difficult to learn and are not difficult for people to create an experience record for themselves.

So I'd like to see us offer training via collective projects that allow people who are interested to not only learn but to come out of our training with tangible experience that enables them to get their foot in the door with existing companies or figure out a way to start their own.

So in addition to low-cost, throw-away hardware/platforms that you'd want AnAfrican to teach basics, we'd also need an up to date training platform that deals with the leading edge.

As for funds, I agree, no point in worrying about specific funding sources at this point, but we can start brainstorming about general approaches.

Maybe this can be organized as a non-profit....aren't there some Destee regulars that work for non-profits who could help us get started?

10. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    My Current Skill Set:

Unix and Linux Administration, Support and Training
    Windows Support, Training and Administration
    Project Management
    Six Sigma
    SDLC