Black Spirituality Religion : Islam or Christianity

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Luna08, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Luna08

Luna08 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, first I would like to thank Destee (and family) for providing such a warm positive and informative site :)

Okay, so basically I am a young woman who lost a relative at the beginning of this year and although it was something to be expected it still came as a shock to me. This affiliated with a few other events have led me to think about becoming more religious or spiritual even. My issue however is I am having a hard time choosing whether to follow Islam or Christianity; my background is traditionally Christian and though I know the main stories I cant say I was ever really brought up to actively practice it. I've never attended Sunday school or really looked at the bible and now that I am trying to study Christianity I am having difficulty grasping the concept of the Trinity such as how can Jesus be God and be the Son of God? I too find myself wondering whether Jesus really is God and whether he sacrificed himself for our sins?

After doing some research on the origins of Christianity I discovered some things that I had never known before. I discovered that in the early days after Jesus' death there seemed be two kinds of Christianity; one was an extension to Judaism and were basically Jews (and gentiles) who had accepted Jesus and believed that he would bring in the Kingdom of God. They still kept to all the commandments, believed in the Sabbath and circumcision and stuck to Jesus' teachings. The other came about after the apostle Paul (who previously acted as a persecutor to the followers of Jesus) claimed to one day have a vision of Jesus in which he was temporarily blinded. After this vision he went on to preach in Jesus' name even though some of his revelations were contradictory to Jesus previous teachings, he too added onto the teachings and had never even met Jesus; furthermore he allowed for pagan traditions to be included bringing to you the Christianity that we have today. I suppose you guys probably already knew this but I certainly didn't.
    Right now I am currently feeling Islam along with the idea that there is but one God and Jesus were only a prophet. However something inside of me is not allowing me fully to convert I am not sure what it is. Some people view Islam as a violent religion because the Quran along with the Prophet Mohammed's life contain quite alot of violence therefore it cant possibly be from God. Christians believe that Mohammed was a fake prophet. In addition ex Muslims claim that Islam is nothing more than a cult with political aspirations hidden under the guise of religion. So I am not sure where exactly to go.

With all that said I was just wondering whether I could ask some questions
    I would like to know whether there any Muslims or Christians on this site?
    Did you always practice this religion if not why did you decide to switch?
    Are there any ex Christians or Muslims?
    Also why do you believe what you do?
    Or perhaps you dont believe in organised religion and are instead spiritual; so what do you practice and what led you to this?

I know these questions are personal so you don't have to answer if you dont feel too. I am just looking for other peoples' perspective on things as right now I feel really alone .

2. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Personally, I wouldn't advocate following either, but if I had to make a choice, I'd choose Islam.

Maybe you shouldn't limit yourself to those two.

Check out the Hebrew Israelites here: http://www.angelfire.com/ill/hebrewisrael/

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Luna08,

Welcome to Destee Luna08! Your presentation was laid out very well indicating that you are serious and willing to research answers, this is a good thing. I will quote and respond to those questions that pertain to me:

I would like to know whether there any Muslims or Christians on this site?
    Yes, there are Muslims and Christians here

Did you always practice this religion if not why did you decide to switch?
    Yes, always belived the bible, as a Christian

Also why do you believe what you do?
    As a bible believer from an earlier age, I have searched secular knowledge and found the scriptures to be true. Also, I have written a book (click the link, Does Color Matter? above my signature.

Lets take the World-Wide Flood or deluge for example, please click and review: http://destee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=569830&postcount=828

4. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891
    I'm with Knowledge Seed on this one ...

I think overall this seems to be more in touch with who we are as a people. I found this site way back in 2001 along with thelawkeepers.org and was really taken by it so I had to do the personal research and to be on the level ... historically this could be on point.

Nevertheless, all religions need to be re-evaluated - the study of Metaphysics should be without doubt something to look into if you are trying to learn the ancient ways of our people. The two religions that you are considering has been responsible for millions (80 million +) of death to our people. Never accept a religion if it doesn't practice what it preach and neither of these religions have done so.

I suggest reconsidering looking to West Africa and learning the ancient ways.

Personally, I follow none of it - I am that I am and I will be who I will be.

Peace!~

5. smalllady

smalllady Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Neither for me. I agree with Knowledge Seed and ru2religious.

6. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    peace sister and welcome

now without going into the basis and foundation for each of the stated religions my input is quite simple...

the catch twenty twenty with each is that they force you to make a choice...

my brothers say ... "if i had to choose"... and that's just it.. u don't have to choose either one....

it's a sales pitch.... the chiristian makes their sales pitch... islam makes their sales pitch....

and whatever the greater reward we buy into ....

whatever it takes to make u the best u possible that's what u do... in other words follow ur own heart....

just be

don't look for christianity to validate u
    don't look for islam to validate u

look to u to validate u

so the question is

who r u?

what do u love?

7. Nasheed

Nasheed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Otr Truck Driver
    Ratings:
    +168
    Welcome To Destee

The best advise I can give you is to study. A good place 2 start is Ancient Kemet. All religion is man made and it is all based on our ancestors and their teachings/beliefs. There are many brothers and sistah's here at Destee who a very knowledgeable in this area and I have learned a great deal.
    IMHO: If you study our story you will find exactly what you are searching for.

Peace

8. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    Neither

Neither:

You should look into studying the KJV Old Testament first and learn a loyalty to the Specific Word of the Supreme Being. Through this you will learn the hidden knowledge of ancient Africa and the African Nations.

The Specific Word of the Supreme Being is any ancient text that is expressed as the Supreme Being Speaking the actual Words.

They are usually followed with and or incased in “Thus saith the LORD or The LORD said unto me”. Once you discover the Specific Word of GOD you will see there is a big, big difference between the Word of GOD and the word of men or entities that are less then Supreme.

I am an EX-Christian.
    I set down and read the book as it should be read, from cover to cover and I realized that the ideology of the Old Testament is completely opposite the ideology of the New Testament thus I had to make a choice between the Supreme Being and a Son of the Supreme Being. Intellect drives one to the Supreme Being, All Powerful, Unlimited Authority.

By the way, there is no such thing as “spirituality”, we in this existence are in a “physical” relationship with the Universe / GOD / The Supreme Being. The “Spiritual” relationship with the Universe comes after we pass from this “physical” relationship with the Universe.

Good Luck on you journeys.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Music Producer,

It is very good to see you Music, hope all is well on the home-front!

10. Jazzytude

Jazzytude Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8

Peace and Blessigns

First off let me say that I am muslim....as for being the best practicing muslim...that I am not. I want you to kno that it is ok being kinda in limbo with this religion thingy! Being human I would say that it is a good thing to at least look up to a higher power and I don't mean another human for that matter. Humans are pron to mistakes even when translating things written and oral...if you remember this you will have a good start!!!!!!!!

I am human, women and then citizen......I will not worship anything or religion that will violate my human rights or any other human rights period! Now with that being said I want you to know that one of my favorate books is the Holy Quran!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also like philosophy and I dig anthropology!!!!!!

I honestly believe that God is univeral and he knew we would differ in our worship...that is part of the test in this life. No religion is perfect as long as they as a whole stand for slavery of any human!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace!