Black Spirituality Religion : Islam as Practiced in Medieval Afrika

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by tyab14, Sep 12, 2008.

1. tyab14

tyab14 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +78
    I have another question. Is the form of Islam (so called Moslems) that was practiced in medieval era in West Africa and by some Moors in Spain and Portugual the same as it is practiced now? To rephrase, what was the Islam of that era like and what kind of spiritual systems did it incoroporate?

From my understanding some West Afrikan kingdoms like Ghana, etc were mixtures of different nations unifying as one.

Any information is appreciated.

2. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Islam served as a cloak in order to preserve Ancestral practices.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Brother,

The Ndepp system in Senegal among the Lebu people would give some insight. There are other systems, especially those related to the Tchamba system of Vodun in West Africa. Others include the marabouts of Senegal, Mali, Mauretania, Gambia and Guinea, the possession "cults" of the Hausa and Songhai. Islam was very much different - this is why the Sufi element is so prevalent in West Africa. Also look at the Gnawa.

Blackbird

4. tyab14

tyab14 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +78
    Bro Blackbird, I swear you know your stuff!

Thanks again. It is confusing reading about Islam in the history books, but not getting into what their spiritual systems were like. I definitely have not heard too much about the possesion cults.

It now is making sense a lot more when Walter Williams claims that orthodox Islam was created by the Roman Catholic Church.

One more question: As far as Mohammad, did they deal at all with this character, because I am coming across information now, saying that like
    ASR, he may have been an elevated ancestor. Correct me if I am wrong.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Peace Bro,

Yes, Muhammad was seen as an elevated personage - not quite the historical Muhammad, though - it has esoteric meaning. Check this out though - in Tchamba Vodou, Allah is actually a female Vodu. You have some that manifest this feminine Allah in ritual. There are some secret verses in the Quran that used to make talismans - some that bring invisibility and invulnerability to the wearer. We are planning to travel to this part of Africa next year - ancestors willing. Wish to come.

Blackbird

6. amazon1979

amazon1979 Banned MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey Tyab!

I am inclined to agree with W.Williams. It is not by accident, or coincidence but rather by design that you will find common threads running through in both religions. The angel Gabriel is of particular significance as we shall come to see in the future.

In answer to your previous query, I am of the opinion that Western Islam is not the same as that practiced in Africa. There is a good book on this, 'Islam and West Africa' I think is the title. Ill confirm this and get back to you.

What Blackbird has revealed about the feminine Allah is most fascinating and I will have to follow it up.

Peace,
    Amazon1979

7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Exactly but what do I know?

lol!

8. soulosophy

soulosophy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +123

Being an orthodox Muslim for 3 years and then a student of Sufism for 13 years I have concluded from my research that Islam, like Christianity, has become riddled with Arab customs and traditions that aren't necessarily "Islamic," just as the Christian religion is clothed with many European pagan practices (such as Christmas and Easter) which aren't Christian.

Islam existed in Afrika long before the coming of Muhammad, although it wasn't called Islam. Islam is/was the very nature of Afrikan culture. The so-called prophets of Judaism, Christianity and Islam were not sent for the Black Afrikan, but rather for the Europeans who wandered down into North Afrika with their patriarchal, barbaric lifestyles. Some Black Afrikans who lived among them began to practice some of their savage, uncivilized behaviour, and thus, someone had to come to return the people to a more hue-man form of existence.

This is alluded to in the ancient text Kitab Fakhr As-Sudan 'Ala Al-Bidan (The Glory of the Black Race) by Uthman Amr Ibn Bahr Al-Jahiz. In this historical document Al-Jahiz describes the meeting between the indigenous Blacks of North Afrika and the white Europeans who migrated from Europe for a better life. He describes their sexism, their bestiality, their selfishness, greed and their hatred and envy of the indigenous Blacks. It is a must read for those searching for a deeper understanding of Islam and Black Afrika.

Also, in John Mbiti's book, Afrikan Religion and Philosophy, his description of West Afrikan culture is nothing more than Islam without the disciplinary straight-jacket (sharia law) that was required for the hard-headed, stiff-necked and rebellious Europeans. Cheik Anta Diop, the Senegalese scholar, stated that Afrikan culture stretches from West Afrika to Japan. I have a friend who I keep in regular contact with who has been living in Korea for almost ten years and has observed that Asian culture (Thailand, Cambodia, Viet Nam, China, etc.) is nothing more than Islam without the requirements of the five daily prayers and the prohibition against eating swine. He says that Korean culture which is Mongolian culture, is almost exactly like West Afrikan culture. He has visited Senegal, Ghana and Nigeria, and says how shocked he was upon arriving in Korea and observing almost identical behaviors, rituals and linguistic similarities. As you know, today, many of these societies and cultures have been heavily influenced by Western aggression, "globalisation," and Western imperialism.

I think that just as Jesus was sent to "the lost sheep of Israel," not to the whole world as Europeans proclaim, then Muhammad was sent to the Arabs, and not to the whole world.

It is my understanding that the texts and certain practices of the major religions have all been corrupted. There is little argument regarding the spurious Christian texts. The Arabs were no different. After the passing of the Prophet, those in power began to fight over wealth and interpretation of the Qur'an. After reading the many words of Hazrat Ali, the Prophet's cousin, I would say in my opinion was one of the wisest and most incorruptible of his followers, was murdered by Muslims because he refused to prostitute himself and alter the teachings. Nowhere in Qur'an is it described how to make salat, yet sects have been created and wars have been fought regarding how prayer should be made. Sunni, Hanafi, Shia...like Catholic, Protestant, Lutheran... all misguided, ignorant religious fanatics and hypocrites following their own desires. And though both got their religions from the Black Afrikans, they both enslaved the Blacks and sold them and to this very day, many in both religions think the Blacks to be inferior regardless of whether Blacks are Christian or Muslim.

Please share your points of disagreement and concern. If I'm in error, I sincerely apologise.

Peace...

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

You make some excellent points and its why I laugh when some people equate Moorish Science (which essentially IS Memphite theology) with "Islam" or being a "Moor" with being a "Muslim". However, I cant agree even with the erm Europeans as they actually were Temehou. Im not simply using Wallis Budge as a reference but Ivan Van Sertima's Golden Age of the Moor, p.109. He also uses the term "Lebou" and it translates as "westerner".

Therefore in this context we need to look beyond skin color and realize how many of us in the "west" are indeed percieved by mainland Africans as "westerners" or Lebou. A point I want to make here is that there was a group known as Mauri in ancient Numidia long before there was a Mauritania or Morocco.

Here is the point I have been trying to make for years which I have not till now quoted.

"The early ethnohistory of the North Africans and the emergence of the Islamic Moorish dynasties has been fairly well documented by the works of Arab historians and earlier manuscripts. The tribes who comprised the Moors were apparently in many cases identified by the same clan names as they were known in the area of Carthage and Numidia in the centuries before the Christian era. Although some modern Berbers are neither fully African nor European in appearance, several tribes have changed very little and the adjective "Ethiopian" can just as well suit them today as it did in ancient times."

The point here is that according to earlier texts these people were not considered "white" or even "Europeans". Some were Nilotic and Kush-itic. The same folks who today western antropologists assert as being "Hamitic" or Caucasian.

And notice Van Sertima uses the word Hamitic instead of Semitic. This essentially menas that Ham, Khem...same thing. So where really was the dividing line?

Van Sertima gives us a clue when mentioning the conflict during the 19th dynasty which actually followed the Amarna Revolution.

Peace

10. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    You sound like a student of the Most Honorable Elijah Muhammad.