Black Ancestors : ISAIAH MONTGOMERY, FOUDER OF MOUND BAYOU, MISS.

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by Isaiah, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    http://northbysouth.kenyon.edu/1999/space/mounb.htm

Isaiah Montgomery founded Mound Bayou, Mississippi in the spring of 1887. Montgomery believed that African American freedom and the promise of emancipation could only be realized in a segregated space. The goal of Mound Bayou was to provide opportunities for individual advancement in a supportive environment, as well as to instill a sense of racial pride into all the residents. The original inhabitants of Mound Bayou were generally freed slaves who were looking for social, economic and political freedom. Mound Bayou provided a physical sanctuary for Africans Americans that was uncommon in any large scale in the South. In a gesture that symbolically confirms Mount Bayou's role as a sanctuary, the original twelve founders, as their commemerative, founding act, constructed a brush arbor. The brush arbor was a make-shift sacred space that was used in times when church facilities were not available. As the term suggests, the simple structure was made of loose brush, creating an enclosed space where prayer might take place.

In the early years of the community, Mound Bayou was home to a sawmill and a mercantile firm, as well as a post office and a one room school. By 1907, the town had flourished. The introduction of the Louisville, New Orleans, and Texas railroad to Mound Bayou made it a center of bustling activity. At this point there were about 800 families living on an area of close to thirty thousand acres. By 1911, the population reached eight thousand and there were thirteen stores and several small shops to cater to the residents. Three cotton mills opened up alongside the sawmill, which was still pumping a good amount of money into the economy. There were a total of ten churches in the area and Mound Bayou even began to publish its own newspaper, The Demonstrator. The newspaper was founded in 1900 and contained advertisements for land, available credit, business opportunities, as well as articles which espoused ideas of racial pride. The paper was designed to help the residents be as successful as possible by making them aware of all the opportunities open to them. Mound Bayou also had its own bank, which was founded in 1904. The Mound Bayou Loan and Investment Company was started in order to ensure black ownership of all the land in Mound Bayou. The village of Mound Bayou also had its own government where all the members were African American and were elected by the members of the community. The drop in the price of cotton, as well as the Great Migration stopped the expansion of Mound Bayou. Despite the ultimate decline of Mound Bayou, for twenty-five years Mound Bayou flourished and was a symbol of black success in the South. It was a sign of hope amid a depressing start to life after emancipation.

Still largely excluded from the same political, social, and economic opportunities as whites, African Americans were likely to experience a similar type of community in the North.

CLICK ON THE WEBSITE FOR THE REST OF THIS MONUMENTAL STORY...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Isaiah my man...you have superceded what I thought you could come through with I don't even know what to say....Mound Bayou MS...are you a secret Mississippian..you can tell me dog...I got a couple fo my folk then since we on the Sip again...one may even suprise a few folk

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    lol@!Missippii RED!

Good Brother, wish I could say that was the case, but I think my love of Mississippi begins and ends with the Africans who MADE it a world renowned place on the map, dig?(smile!) I was there as a servicemen in the 1970's, and I found the warmth and love of my people as beautiful as the scent of the magnolias, and twice as strong...

I was stationed in Meridian, but I made it to the Delta when visiting Memphis... Best times of my life in terms of meeting good, decent, and sincere human beings... Then again, that happened a lot down in Carolina, too, where my parents are from(smile!) Maybe when I retire, I settle down somewhere near bout???(smile!)

Yo, did you see how dem crakas acted down in Neshoba, when they boy Killen was arrested for the murders of Schwerner, Chaney, and Goodman??? These folks is still straight UGLY in thoughts and deed...

Peace!
    Isia

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    This was great home fronts information ....
    I wasn't from the south but grew in the south of MBM.
    on the land of my Great Grandmother and mother's hometown
    my Great Grandfather move themselves their in 1909 on a small
    piece of land and later grew to a nice chunk that old white house
    stood til 1989 i still remember working the fields and sloppin dem hogs

The growth of good old Mound Bayou took off , this was very refreshing
    i see myself walk down the brown clay gravel roads to Clarksdale or
    crossing miles of open field to Doddsville Miss.

this like home to me in MBM. Thankz for sharing this historical moment

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486

This is peace God!

6. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    This was new for me and quite refreshing. Our people are a blessing...or as the clear people say: "we are our own top secret and can't even see it".

7. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Brotha this article makes makes me truly appreciate our ancestors gifts and determination!

Peace

It's

8. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    anotha remarkable Isaiah :) I am hardly surprised :) but lovin the knowledge :luvv: :read: :luvv:

9. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Thank you, My beautiful(and sexy too!)sista TRINITI! You BAAAAAAD mammma jaaamma!(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    I just thought to stop in and let you know brotha Isaiah...

I run a few inner city youth centers here in the Bay and all the young babies I treat as if they're my own... one of my young blak princesses used your info in this thread to write an essay she entitled "FORGOTTEN GOLD" to submit into an essay contest we had where I work (The Oakland Tribune) and suffice to say my baby girl won first place :cry: :D lol

I just thought I would pass the good news on :)

It just comes to show how you beautiful blak KINGS help our babies with your love & knowledge even when you dont know it ;) :grouphug: