Health and Wellness : Is Walking Just as Good as Running?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Health and Wellness,

Is Walking Just as Good as Running?

Walking may seem like more of a mode of transport than a form of exercise, but it really is one of the best things you can do for your body, your beauty and your long-term health. While you thought you were just getting from here to there, those steps were improving your cardiovascular strength, strengthening your muscles (which means more fat-burning power) and decreasing your chances of disease. And you can even find ways to walk while you work -- such as a walking meeting or a treadmill desk, which you may have caught me using last week on FOX8 in Cleveland. Walking is such good exercise that you ought to include it in your day as a way to get younger.

suggested reading:

http://news.yahoo.com/walking-just-good-running-125647931.html

2. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I find that walking is great exercise. Although I warn everyone to stretch afterward, particularly the legs.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Yes, if not more so because walking is low impact. Walking hills is just as effective in getting into target heart rate. If you are cross training it all depends on your workout and if you are trying to increase speed or endurance. The key is the intensity of your workout.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Okay:confused:, but shouldn't some stretching, particularly the legs, be done before "the walk" bro. Asomfwaa?

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Exactly, even heart patients have found a walk to the mailbox is helpful and not hurtful. And for those able, the rapid walk exercise translates into good aerobics, as you exampled.

6. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I don't know. It's suggested one warm up prior to exercising and stretch after exercising--possibly after warming up--but never stretching without warming up as that can result in injury (stretching muscles without sufficient blood circulation can tear them.)

However, I'm unclear if one needs to warm up to walk. Walking seems like it is itself a warm-up.

I guess it would depend on if one will go into speed walking right away or gradually.

What I think I know is my body is in pain because I don't stretch after walking. But I can't say for certain whether stretching before walking is a recommended activity. The literature is ambiguous and my experiences haven't suggested as much.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Okay, I see. We may be from two different schools of thought on this, but I fully accept and understand what you say about how your body reacts to walking without stretching, afterwards.

Stretching is warming up for whatever exercise ... And in this case, walking is the exercise. We always warmed up with the "jumping jack" stretching exercise:

[​IMG]

Thanks for helping others to understand both schools of thought on this. For the record, after I walk, I'm usually exhausted and find it helpful to just stop and rest.

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

There are a lot of articles on this with mixed opinion. For the record, I stretch before walking or running and perhaps should stretch afterwards to keep from dealing with soreness due to lactic acid buildup and inflammation.

Warm up and cool down. http://www.prevention.com/stretch-walking

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    When you perform strenuous exercise you breathe faster as your body demands more oxygen to feed your hard-working muscles. Your body favors creating the bulk of its energy through aerobic activities, and oxygen is the body’s basic supply. During vigorous workouts, however, your body’s demand for energy can exceed its supply -- creating an internal anaerobic process called glycolysis, when the body pulls energy from glucose stores to sustain your energy through the activity. When oxygen is limited, your body generates lactate to enable glucose breakdown, and in the process lactate levels build up within the muscle. Stretching can help release lactate buildup following exercise. http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/stretching-release-lactic-acid-9333.html

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Because of Asomfwaa's point of view on this, and now yours bro. Omowale, it finally sinks in.

No wonder my muscles would be sore for so long, lol. It was the lactic acid build up that doesn't just go away. Only continual exercise does that.

Stretching immediately and often at the end of an exercise would bring relief, much quicker.