Is Vegetarianism In Agreement with The Bible?

Ralfa'il

REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 25, 2005
Leviticus 11:3 "Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, [and] cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat."

Deuteronomy 14:6 "And every beast that parteth the hoof, and cleaveth the cleft into two claws, and cheweth the cud among the beasts, that ye shall eat. "

:angel1: Acts 10:15 "What God calls clean you must not call unclean."

Christian Vegetarians!

"Animals are God's creatures, not human property, nor utilities, nor resources, nor commodities, but precious beings in God's sight. ... Christians whose eyes are fixed on the awfulness of crucifixion are in a special position to understand the awfulness of innocent suffering. The Cross of Christ is God's absolute identification with the weak, the powerless, and the vulnerable, but most of all with unprotected, undefended, innocent suffering."
--Rev. Andrew Linzey

Jesus' message is one of love and compassion, yet there is nothing loving or compassionate about factory farms and slaughterhouses, where billions of animals live miserable lives and die violent, bloody deaths. Jesus mandates kindness, mercy, compassion, and love for all God's creation. He would be appalled by the degree of suffering we inflict on animals to indulge our acquired taste for their flesh.

also, you might want to try these links....

http://www.jesusveg.com/index2.html

http://a1.nu/christian/vegetarian/

PJ

Jesus' message is one of love and compassion, yet there is nothing loving or compassionate about factory farms and slaughterhouses, where billions of animals live miserable lives and die violent, bloody deaths. Jesus mandates kindness, mercy, compassion, and love for all God's creation. He would be appalled by the degree of suffering we inflict on animals to indulge our acquired taste for their flesh.
Yeah but....

In John chapter 2 we read:

"13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise."

....and you don't think any innocent oxen, sheep, and doves got hurt in all this ruckus raising?

The scriptures said Jesus made a whip and commenced to driving them ALL out...animals included.

Come on bruh....

Ralfa'il said:
Leviticus 11:3 "Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, [and] cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat."

Deuteronomy 14:6 "And every beast that parteth the hoof, and cleaveth the cleft into two claws, and cheweth the cud among the beasts, that ye shall eat. "
Salaam, aqi. "Cud" is a combination of semi-digested food and bile, which is produced by the first two chambers of the stomach of a ruminant. The stomach of a cow, goat, sheep or antelope is insufficient on its own to break down the cellulose of plant matter, a necessary step on the way to the digestion of food such as pasture grass. The ingested material is therefore regurgitated as "cud," and slowly chewed in the animal's mouth (usually while the animal is at rest) to properly combine the food and bile and render the plant fibers digestible. The "cud" is then swallowed, and the latter two chambers of the stomach continue the process of digestion.

Any of the various hoofed, even-toed, usually horned ruminants, such as cattle, sheep, goats, deer and giraffes - characteristically having a stomach divided into four compartments and chewing a cud consisting of regurgitated, partially digested food - are allowed for human consumption, especially in lands where there is little or no vegetation.

ralfa'il said:
:angel1: Acts 10:15 "What God calls clean you must not call unclean."
I'm familiar with the scripture you referred to, my brother. As always, it's a matter of interpretation. I'll quote the verse. It deals primarily with Peter's report to the Church at Jerusalem:

"Now the apostles and the believers who were in Judea heard that the Gentiles had also accepted the word of God. So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised believers criticized him, saying, 'Why did you go to uncircumcised men and eat with them?'

Then Peter began to explain it to them, step-by-step, saying, 'I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision. There was something like a large sheet coming down from Heaven - being lowered by its four corners; and it came close to me...

As I looked at it closely I saw four-footed animals, beasts of prey, reptiles, and birds of the air. I also heard a voice saying tome, 'Get up, Peter; kill and eat.' But I replied, 'By no means, Lord; for nothing profane or unclean has ever entered my mouth.'

But a second time the voice answered from Heaven, 'What God has made clean, you must not call profane.' This happened three times; then everything was pulled up again to Heaven. At that very moment three men, sent to me from Caesaria, arrived at the house where we were.

The spirit told me to go with them and make not a distinction between them and us. These six also accompanied me, and we entered the man's house. He told us how he had seen the angle standing in his house and saying, 'Send to Joppa and bring Simon, who is called Peter; he will give you a message by which you and your entire household will be saved.

And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them just as it had upon us at the beginning. And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said, 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit. If then God gave them the same gift that he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could hinder God?'

When they heard this, they were silenced. And they praised God, saying, 'Then God has given even to the Gentiles the repentance that leads to life.' "
(Acts 11:1-18)

In those times Jewish law prevented any Jew from eating with an uncircumcised Gentile. The above scripture shows that this man-made law was discriminatory and divisive. And Peter explains his actions (eating with the uncircumcised Gentiles) to his brethren by relating a dream he had that enlightened him re: the discriminatory law...

How the Christians began to refer to this particular scripture as their justification for eating swine - which is forbidden by God - and all those other animals they eat is beyond my comprehension.

Ma Salaam.

I'm still at a loss, as to how the VERY FIRST instruction that we receive in the Bible is continuously overlooked:

Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein [there is] life, [I have given] every green herb for meat: and it was so.

It's as if people are purposefully trying to ignore these verses, as if they are not there for some significant reasoning.

What do these verses mean? How are they relevant? Why would "GOD" put this in the very beginning of his Scripture, if he didn't intend for us to live by this? If we are witnessing here, the very creation of Humanity, and during that intitial creation period, Humanity is given a specific diet to adhere to, wouldn't that mean that GOD created us physiologically to be Vegetarians (more specifically FRUGIVORES) exclusively?

I'd like to see these issues seriously addressed here, and not just "talked over".

PEACE

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back