Black People : Is this really productive?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Gorilla, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Personally, I've never really had much of an expectation for productivity on a place that's mostly aimed at discussion, but I've been wondering lately. I realize it's not an impossibility for an online community, from experience with a few other places.

With all of the threads demanding solutions or calling for action, do you consider Destee (or any similar website) a productive use of your time?

Is discussion productive enough or do you feel there needs to be more actual implementation and iterations on presented ideas?

Do you find yourself interested in dialogue or in organization / action?

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    folks post what is in their heart.

if a person has hip hop in their heart then they post about that, if someone has the
    concern for the race then they post about that.

And there does not seem to be any rule or regualtion for stopping those who usualy respond,

from making intital threads about the things they are interested in.

Do you know anyone who has had any difficulty in posting an intial thread?

3. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    well there is a cover statemt to this website;

"We are about loving, encouraging, embracing, teaching and building with Black people"

So realy what does building with Black people mean to you?

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother Gorilla ... oh my gosh ... this question speaks to my heart.

I absolutely believe it is productive for us to gather together using this medium, sharing, talking, discussing, in the most respectful manners possible.

Absolutely. For more reasons than I can name right now. I may do a video on this topic though, for I have much to say about it.

Briefly though, the mere fact that they ... white folk ... made it a law ... code ... illegal ... punishable by death, imprisonment, loss of blood, harassment ... for us to do this very thing in times past (and some places even still today) ... is one of the clearest indicators to me ... that we should be doing it as often as possible.

Because it is virtually new to us, Black Men and Women gathering together, talking, sharing, communing together ... without bombs being dropped, or bullets flying, or folk being hauled off to jail ... little girls dying ... because it is newer to us (among other things), than others, we're not as good at it.

We won't immediately see the end results that most hope for, seek, and need ... but it's all a step in the right direction.

We can't get there, or anywhere ... without being able to respectfully discuss, share, and interact with each other.

Of course this is just my opinion, and what I've devoted a great part of my life to.

It is my hope as well, that those here ... yourself included ... would not do anything they felt was unproductive, including taking part here.

We all need to be doing productive things, to the best of our abilities, as each sees fit.

Great Question!

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother Gorilla ... as i think on this more, I'm reminded of the many tech threads you've shared in. Now, I've not read all that you've posted here, but the one recent post that comes to mind, about search engines, probably helped quite a few of our people understand them a little bit better.

That's productive.

We're not all technologically savvy, understanding this medium the same, but your input probably helps more people than you know ... certainly more than those who have taken part in the actual thread, for we have lots of folk just reading ... not yet mustering the desire, courage, or wherewithal to actually take part yet.

Helping another person understand a thing, is a great show of productivity, in my opinion.

No, it doesn't equate to feeding all the starving Black Babies in the world ... (though if you teach the right one, encourage the right one, they could go on to do this, as a result of the help you gave them) ... no ... it doesn't automatically equate to feeding the hungry, but it's way more productive than never sharing the knowledge.

Love You!

Destee

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Okay ... i got another thot that i wanna share.

Let's say we see a Brother, a wino, going into a liquor store to get his daily bottle of wine.

To me, you or someone passing by, we look at him and think ... oh my gosh, he is being so unproductive!

But to that Brother, who can't think clearly, can't get rid of those shakes, can't even see the sun shining, because he needs that drink ... he is feeling like he's being very productive, blessed even, to be able to get that drink. That drink makes all the difference to him and his day, making it very productive.

Productivity then, it seems, can be relative ... based on who you ask, what they're doing, and if it is of value to them.

We could all easily hate on the Brother getting his wine, or the Sister doing what she thinks needs doing ... and then even ask of that ... is the forming of our opinions, that diminish them, their life, their choices, productive to us?

Yeah ... i think it's all relative.

The bottom line is ... do what you think is productive ... because there may be someone that thinks what you are doing is a total waste of time.

If they do think that ... will their opinion of your life being unproductive, be enough for you to stop what you're doing, switch up, just because they think that? I doubt it.

Live and Let Live.

It's way easy to look at someone else's doing, and determine it has no value, but can we do that with our own lives, own choices, own selves?

It's more difficult, to evaluate self, but worth the effort.

Destee

7. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    we shouldn't hate him, but we should not just say it isa productive either, snce his children and wife are not realy feeling that

we need to know how to help with love and concideration, and realize the NOI , and many Black churches have helped and are helping hundreds of thousands

who wash their depression with alcohol,
    dust it off with cocaine,
    shoot it away with heroin and smoke it away with crack

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :10500:why i gotta be productive?

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

Brother Ankhur ... i was only making the point that "productivity" is relative.

You're right, while the Brother in the scenario i presented, would consider the purchase of the wine as productive, his family may not.

Too though, the Family may be happy that he got the wine, for without it, he may be (more) mean, irritable, and unyielding with them, because he can't get his fix.

We could play the scenario out in a number of ways, but again, my point is simply that determining productivity can be relative, as you've demonstated.

Thanks for sharing.

Love You!

Destee

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

you aint gotta Brother James ... :hammer: ... :love:

Destee