Black People : Is this Ad Insensitive?

MsInterpret

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 21, 2007
I saw this ad as I was searching through some Youtube videos. At first glance I stared at it and was like, hmmm, is this ad offensive to me?

Nivea.jpg

RE-Civilize yourself? Having a fro and a beard or gotee is uncivilized? Gooosh!

I saw this ad as I was searching through some Youtube videos. At first glance I stared at it and was like, hmmm, is this ad offensive to me?

Nivea.jpg

RE-Civilize yourself? Having a fro and a beard or gotee is uncivilized? Gooosh!

IMO, this is very insensitive and I see it's Nivea..wow, smh...to think I've bought their products, well not anymore; this is a slap in the face really. There's something with the term 're-civilize', it appears to say make what is good, better...so I'm convinced they attempted to cover up the fact that they think the afro and beard are un-civilized...but if it quacks and has a beak it's a duck!

The company weak apology is no more then a spot to keep us returning but i was sold on
the ad and don't want nothing to do with there products.
yes it's the ad’s message "Africans are uncivilized. Black folks, distance yourselves as much as possible for all things African. Improve your hair- don’t wear it in its natural state- become civilized

we hardly live in a post racial society, and I think advetisers should be careful of stereotypes
their ads may project or ides their ads perpetuate blacks /africans have been historically dehumanized
for countless years by the white society and to think a whitewash mental slave blackman
would send a message like this and then ask for our dollars.....yes it was offensive to me
to my ancestors and forefathers

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back