Black People : Is there Freedom of Speech here?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Riada, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    I became a member here under the assumption that there was freedom of speech here, which to me means the freedom for ALL of us to express our ideas, opinions, experiences, beliefs, etc. in a reasonable manner. I was eager to hear diverse opinions, experiences, and beliefs of other Black people. I love meeting people from different backgrounds and I said “Wow, this place is ripe for me to interact and network with Black people from different places—physically, emotionally, and intellectually.”

Among the many of you who I enjoy interacting with and learning from, I have found, however, a tiny group of people here of one mindset who are INTOLERANT of Black people who don’t share their single mindset and the lifestyle they approve. They remind me of the dictators in Africa and other repressive places, who try to abuse or kill anyone who refuses to be a puppet. This is the reason why there’s a brain drain in Africa today.

I can never be anyone’s puppet here. I will ALWAYS express my own opinions and beliefs, but I’d like to know if there is support for freedom of speech here. Do others here believe freedom of speech is important here?

2. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12

I wondered the same thing
    I was basically was told no
    There is no freedom of speech
    When I has asked they said
    I was never told that so believe
    I feel you on this though

3. Riada

Ratings:
    +18
    It's amazing that you were told that!!

I'm understanding now why more people don't pay to help support this site.

In order for people to fully contribute, they need to know they have the freedom to express their own ideas and beliefs without constantly fighting with other Black people.

Anyway, thanks for your courage. Thanks for speaking up.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,685
    Sister Riada ... your assumption is wrong. Not all ideas, experiences, opinions, beliefs, etc., are welcome here, no matter how respectfully they are presented. As a matter of fact, some of them are so aggregious, that it is impossible to respectfully present them. For example, i would not allow someone to come in here talking about "All Black Men Are No Good" ... or ... "All Black Women Are No Good." That kind of talk is not welcome here. No matter that it is a person's sincere belief, and they tell us respectfully.

This community has an agenda, a goal, and it is to love, embrace, encourage, teach, uplift, Black People. Anything that goes against that is not welcome here. We try to manage the community in a collective sort of fashion, allowing the Family to share their thoughts on most all things, but ultimately it is Management's decision on what is considered appropriate.

Just because you run into a Member or two, or three, or four, that aggressively disagrees with you, does not mean you are not welcome here ... or that you should adjust what you're saying. No one has ever said you are not welcome here, or that you must adjust what you say. At least i don't believe this has happened, but if it has, please show me.

When a Moderator warns you about a violation in this community, you won't have to wonder if you've been warned. It will be clear and to the point. Any other interaction with a Moderator, is basically interaction with a Member. One Member (you) sharing their opinion, and another Member (them) sharing theirs.

In regard to freedom of speech, i believe that's a right we have as it relates to some government owned entities. It does not apply to privately owned ones. You cannot say or do anything you want here. You don't have that right. Actually Sister, i started a thread on this very topic myself ... Where Can We Speak Freely? ... and am copying one of my posts from it below. I hope it can shed more light on our position.

Sister Riada ... you don't have to think like anyone else here. You're intelligent, articulate, opinionated, you don't back down easily, you're all over the place in the discussion forums ... and as a result ... you're probably going to be involved in more intense discussions with other Members. It's not a bad thing. If you were doing something that warranted an "official fussing," don't worry Sister, you'd be fussed at! :wink:

But you're not doing that ... so please continue, and don't let the dissenting opinions shake you.

:heart:

Destee

5. Riada

Ratings:
    +18
    Thank you again, Destee. I appreciate so much your taking the time to respond to me. It's good to hear from you that I'm not violating your rules in any way. I was beginning to think there were some "secret" rules that I was violating. So, it's clears up a lot to hear your position about free speech here. I didn't want to put you on the spot by asking you.

I don't like fighting with Black people and I don't ever mingle in my real life with Black people who I need to fight. We, Blacks have enough others to fight.

It seems though that some here are constantly trying to suppress my free speech. It causes friction everywhere in the world when peoples' free speech is suppressed. So I consider anyone who tries to suppress my speech as trying to start friction with me.

I don't knowingly present myself to any Black person anywhere as someone who's trying to fight them. Yet some here seem to think I'm deliberately saying things to enrage them. LOL!! That's so amazing to me.

I'm expressing my views, beliefs, and sharing some of my experiences and I love to hear the views, opinions, and experiences of others. Even when I disagree with them, I'm enriched by their views. So, once again, please know I'm not trying to make anyone angry. I'm just being myself.

Love you, Sis.:hearts4:

6. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    I haven't witnessed anyone's "rights" here being violated. I do know that often when people vehemently disagree with a particular person's opinion, that person will often PERCEIVE it to be a personal attack or violation. In other words, if the ideas being expressed aren't taken at face value as "just another opinion".....then an 'attack' is perceived.

7. Riada

Ratings:
    +18

Well, I had only assumed my rights here until Destee spoke about that just now. I'm glad she explicitly stated her views.

If another and I vehemently disagree, well it's just an "oh, well" situation, but when it happens with a moderator, they have the power to ban, so I just needed to know whether I could express myself freely and not be banned.

8. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Very much needed thread........

Excellent clarification Destee!! Where do you draw the line when a moderator, who has the power to ban, willfully engages in a heated debate, sometimes stirring you to react by saying certain things, although they may not be intentionally offensive? I have respect for the Moderators, but I think they should be checked publicly too, just so the power doesn't go abused. Do these Mod's bring the issue to you first? As most know, I'm a very opinionated woman, that's why they call me quick-draw tongue...lol, respectfully. I don't want to step on any toes:rolling: