Science and Technology : Is There Any Way?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by river, Sep 27, 2008.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    AnAfrican, you told me there is probably some program hi jacking my cpu and causing my mouse to act up. You then said this was probably something I'd have to live with.

Dear brothah it is shameful in my eyes to suffer without a struggle. I've noticed this whatever it is seems to take hold of my mouse around noon each day. Is there anyway I can find out what program is doing this? I maybe need to just go read a book at noon but first I'd like to find out what's going on. Maybe I can find a way to reschedule it to work at midnight or sumptin.

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    what type of mouse do u have sister?

one love
    khasm

3. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey Khasm,

It's one of those optical mice. No rubber ball just a little rectangular opening on the bottom and a red light shining through the opening. It glides across the mouse pad very smoothly but sometimes the pointer on the screen won't do what I tell it to do. It will freeze and then seconds later follow the path I had given it. Gee it did it just now and it's not noon. sometimes it disappears altogether. It will still work and if I guess where it is I can click on stuff and make things happen as if the mouse is there but it won't be visible.

4. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    do you have an older mouse that you could use to see if the "freeze" still happens? that way it could be narrowed down to whether the issue is related to the optical mouse or not.

part of the "glorious struggle" might be to check with logitech's site to see if they have a forum wherein users of their products discuss or ask questions about products to see if there has been anything said about that particular mouse. also, if the mouse was installed using the included cd, there might be stuff included in the install that could conflict with other stuff; i'll usually install stuff by letting the puter find out it needs drivers for a device and then pointing it to the directory on the cd that has the drivers in it. (if/when the system starts the cd, i'll usually just close it out after browsing it to figure out where the drivers are for my OS.)

one might also search the net for that device to see if there have been discussions in places other than logitech.

which mouse (model name/number) is it?

it is shameful to suffer without a struggle; good on you for wanting to work the issue out for yourself! :number1:

but, given that "massas microsoft and software industry" "know" exactly how best to use your computer, there just seem to be some things that go on behind the scenes that may not be relevant to all users that folks are just stuck with. of course, that is not to necessarily say that that applies in every situation, to all applications that might be running or for every user. as they say "YMMV".

5. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    there's not much it can be... after checking that the light ray area is clean/clear - to rule things out I'd suggest to first try another port.. if no luck, then reinstall the driver.. if that doesn't work, get another mouse ;)

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Install? whadaya mean Install?

The mouse that came with this computer had a ball on the bottom which I did not like so I switched it with the optical mouse from my old computer. Switched the keyboard and monitor too. I didn't know I had to install anything. I just hooked it up to the port and it has been working fine until recently. Unfortunately I gave the old computer with the mouse to my sister. Would you ask someone to move back to the projects because the couch they brought with them doesn't match the decor in their new house? Then ask me to go back to using a rubber ball. Like the kind we used to play dodge and kick ball.