Black People Politics : Is There Any Issue More Important Than Fighting Against Mass Incarceration?

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Liberty, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,236
    Maybe this is where the pedal hits the medal with the Democratic Candidates. What are your thoughts?

2. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,236

3. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,236
    .....It only took Hillary Clinton six months after first calling for sweeping criminal justice reform and an end to mass incarceration for her to announce on Thursday that she would no longer accept direct donations from private prison lobbyists...

Clinton's decision reportedly came after a series of meetings with several minority advocacy groups that have been demanding that 2016 candidates address the excesses of America's sprawling criminal justice system, including mass incarceration, overcrowded jails, and poor prison conditions, among other issues.

Clinton's Ready for Hillary PAC has received $133,246 from lobbying firms linked to GEO and CCA. That figure was slightly lower than the $133,450 Rubio's PACs and campaign have accepted from private prison companies or groups that lobby on their behalf.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/hillary-clinton-reparations_b_9047760.html

4. TheBlackBlur

TheBlackBlur Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +42
    We do need to go against these drug laws.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Let us agree to disagree that this suggest she's really on board as regards true reform of this nation's one sided and self serving so called war on drug dealers etc.

6. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    We also have to remember our relations didn't create this crisis...

7. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,236
    Not sure what you mean. You say "she", and that is actually Bernie Sanders. Nonetheless, my position has changed slightly. I am still voting for Sanders, but I don't think he will be as effective as I had wished. (see below)

8. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,236
    Bernie Sanders' Plan to Fight Mass Incarceration Doesn't Add Up

[​IMG]

Bernie Sanders is pledging big things when it comes to criminal justice reform, vowing that by the end of his first term as president the nation would no longer be the world leader in incarceration:

Bernie Sanders

@BernieSanders

I promise at the end of my first term we won't have more people in jail than in any other country.

11:54 AM - 11 Dec 2015

But, as racial-justice activist Deray McKesson
    pointed out in response, Sanders' promise raises a serious question: Is that even possible, considering that the vast majority of the nation's inmates are held in state, not federal, prisons?

The Sanders campaign did not respond to multiple requests for an explanation, but the short answer is that the Democratic candidate couldn't realistically fulfill his promise. According to the
    Bureau of Justice Statistics, about 2.2 million Americans were locked up as of the end of 2013. Of those, only 215,000 inmates (9.6 percent) were in federal prisons. The rest were in state and local facilities. So even if President Sanders abolished federal prisons altogether, the United States would still have more prisoners than any other country by a pretty large margin. China, which is No. 2 in the world, has 1.7 million prisoners. To edge below China, Sanders would need to cut the national prison population by about 25 percent, with most of that coming from places that are outside federal jurisdiction.

Read more

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2016/01/bernie-sanders-plan-fight-mass-incarceration-doesnt-add-up

9. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    I have nothing more to add to my recent comments...

10. Lrae

Lrae Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Guess he didn't realize the only way to do that is to start killing people instead of locking them up like they do in those other nations like China.

• Like Like x 2
    • Enjoyed Enjoyed x 1
    • List