Black Sports : Is There a Baseball Diamond in Your Neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Destee, Apr 26, 2012.

?

Do you see baseball diamonds in your neighborhood, where the children can go and play?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Is there a baseball diamond in your neighborhood?

Last night during my Elder Interview with my own Uncle ... :love: ... he mentioned baseball and the declining number of Blacks involved in the sport. I was really surprised that he mentioned this, as i had recently started a thread on this very topic. I had not mentioned this to my Uncle, and was shocked it came up in our discussion.

My Uncle asked how many baseball diamonds do you see in your neighborhood?

Suggesting that this may be part of the reason why our people are not as involved in the sport as times gone by ... our children aren't being given the privilege of playing as they grow up.

At one point when i was a child, we lived right across the street from a baseball diamond, but i don't see them now.

How about you? Do you see baseball diamonds in your neighborhood, where the children can go and play?

Please vote in the poll above and leave your comments below.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    well there is one and i use too be on the coaching staff for kids under 14 , we had a little league team but the last
    3 years this program was not funded so no ball................:mad: kids now just hang out on the street

when i was coming up we didn't have one so we hit the vacant lot and made out base path and played ball or we
    played one on one baseball known as strike'em out ! but no baseball diamonds just open lots

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    :10500: no, nope, none……...

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Yes. In the neighborhood where I live there are schools which have baseball diamonds and the local middle school is even used for a little league on the weekends. All the parks where I live have more baseball diamonds than basketball courts.

As stated in the other thread, in the 70s black youth started losing interest in baseball and basketball became our "national pastime".

I am sure that another factor is that with demographic changes in our neighborhoods soccer has become more popular in many recreation programs especially with girls.

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I never had a baseball diamond in my neighborhood growing up. We had to go to one of the major parks and get there early if we wanted to play, orelse someone else would already have taken the field. This is why in NYC stickball became so popular. We could play right in the middle of the street and use the fire hydrants as bases.... :playball:

We would literrally block off the street so no traffic could come thru to interrupt our game and use chalk to create our own diamond in the pavement.

6. largo

largo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +286
    Yes, there is one in my neighborhood and quite a few in my town. There are also places to play soccer and volley ball as well. One skate board park. Two parks with tennis courts, and two that have set up for frisbee disc golf. There is only one park that I can recall that has a basket ball court. But, it is the traditional spot and it's a big deal, tournaments and all. The parks around here are pretty well taken care of, they do a good job. They have updated all of the playgrounds at every one. There is plenty of opportunity for sports and recreation for kids and families. There are places to play football too, but nothing officially set up except at the schools and I forgot there is also a public track field and basket ball courts at two churches that do recruit kids from the community for teams. Two places to take Gymnastics and Dance. Some fun spots for sledding in the winter (serious business come a snow day lol). Several golf courses, a public stable and places for dog sports as well. Quite a few beautiful places to bike and walk, two of the trails are historic. A YWCA for swimming, and lots of boating and fishing on the Mississippi, Missouri, and Illinois. And a few lakes. And that is just in my town.

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    yes there is a middle school near with a baseball diamond.

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486

When i was around 12 me and some of my friends actually thought about playing a game of stickball on the roof, but for some strange reason everyone wanted to pitch and no one wanted to play the outfield.....lol