Black People : Is the world ready for 'Darkiedom'

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by ngumbi, Oct 15, 2003.

1. ngumbi

ngumbi Member MEMBER

Human Performance Consultant
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been making some keen observations since embarking on my quest to conquer the corporate world and the reality is that every day as I drop into meetings like a ‘black pepper among a bed of salt’.
    While the perception may exist that the peppers in societies are making it up the corporate food chain, the reality is that darkies work twice as hard to half the distance.
    The most distressing thing that I've found is that once the "Other" manages to see you for the asset that you are (capable etc) it doesn't change their perceptions of darkies at all. To them, we are exceptions to darkidom and not representative of the rest of our people.

What are your experiences?

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Why do you refer to black folk as darkies?

Is this a good thing, a term that is acceptable and embraced where you are?

:heart:

Destee

3. uzoka

uzoka Well-Known Member MEMBER

writer
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm indifferent when I engage white individuals professionally [rarely socially...I stay away from them as much as I can] in a conversation and I'm looked at as if I'm some sort of anomalous freaky exception to the tried and tested, time honoured rule.

[the'rule' being that, regarding intelligence [as compared to whites], blacks are, for the most part, found wanting and in addition....that the degree to which a black is an intellectual inferior [to a white] is something that can be quite accurately gauged by the amount of melanin present in the black's skin].

They stare at you then, if anyone else is in the room [and they happen to be white] they stare at each other in mutual but suppressed wonder ["I heard they existed by never in all my years did I think I'd ever meet one.....an intelligent black lol]

I usually carry on with the conversation to a point where I can politely disengage and be done with that particular interaction with them.

It never affects me emotionally since I don't accept it as truth and any intelligent person knows it isn't true.

Maybe I shouldn't say 'intelligent' since quite sadly, there are some otherwise very smart people [who happen to be black]walking around that at the same time, are having a hard time shaking of the tried and trusted, time honoured conditioning that tells them, "where there's smoke there's fire".

Peace and Love...

4. uzoka

writer
    Ratings:
    +8
    Destee, good point!

Referring to ourselves as 'darkies' or 'n*****s' only encourages those outside our communities who might otherwise not use those and other negative terms, for one...not to mention the psychological effect it has in maintaining this view that there is something wrong with us or of less value.

5. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, I have had the same experiences of Uzoka... I have to laugh when I make a point or show them where the differences make better yields---then they really stare at you---

Ngumbi--didn't you know that Blacks are only representative of other Blacks when it is something negative or rather heinous?

Do your work---and when they come at you like they know everything...let them have their way and mess everything up...then get really busy...because they will surely come back to you when they need you to "clean up" their messes.

And they hate it when you are heading any projects.

Questions-
    1. I get along much better with White Males (always have, even when I was in school) do you find differences b/t the genders?

2. How do you handle situations when a Brother or Sister is afraid and sides with your opposition (hypothetically speaking); and then they come to you to explain why they didn't say anything, went to the other side etc...as if we still have to play those kinds of games today? ("Sometimes you have to give them right for wrong...")-what the old folk say. AND have you experienced how more times than not then theWhites seemingly turn against the turncoat?

6. uzoka

writer
    Ratings:
    +8
    1) I think it differs from one white to another but underlying nearly every single interaction I have had with whites, is that inherent, unspoken sense of superiority they have, a boldness that they otherwise reign in when dealing with another white [or else, the way it is communicated, if at all, depends on the group dynamics applicable to the particular interaction [whether they revolve around gender or position within a company etc]

In my experience, I have seen no difference between the sexes in my interaction with whites, just the degree to which that inherent sense of superiority is expressed, which varies [I guess depending on upbringing and conditioning].

2) Professionally, all I ask of brothers and sisters is that they treat me fairly in their interactions with me.

If upon reflection, their siding with a white 'against' me was fair professionally and in the interests of the good of the task before us then fair enough.

3) A regards whites who become turncoats in support of someone who is not white or for instance, a belief that whites are conditioned to believe they are not supposed to hold, yes I notice that all the time.

Look at the Dixie Chicks and how they were treated by their own people when they spoke out against Bush.

Most whites usually hold back even when they think another whites is in the wrong if the individual or group [what have you] that is in the right is black.

Humans are sectarian by nature so there you go...I can understand that you want to stick up for those who are most like you but imposing yourself on others because they are not like you.....or standing by because your people, and therefore you, benefit...that's going too far....conditioning or no conditioning, with a little effort, they can break free of it!

Pick up a book!

Peace and Love...:)

7. ngumbi

ngumbi Member MEMBER

Human Performance Consultant
    Ratings:
    +1
    My apologies if I have offended anyone, that was not my intention, the term 'darkies' is commonly used where I'm from and not considered offensive.

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Ngumbi ... okay ... thank you ... :)

9. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    ngumbi

I first heard the term Darkie.. said to my cousin. He lived in a part of the city where his white friends called him this. It is a racist term to me. I told them not to say it in my presence.

" The most distressing thing that I've found is that once the "Other" manages to see you for the asset that you are (capable etc) it doesn't change their perceptions of darkies at all. To them, we are exceptions to darkidom and not representative of the rest of our people. "

While the above is very true. You have to just be comfortable that you are doing your best. Non of us sit as representatives of an entire race.

“It is not words that make for bigotry, but attitudes”

I've heard it all. One employer told me.. " I wasn't the typical black.." What is that suppose to mean. I asked him. I'm average.

Changing attitudes is a full time job. Just continue to be the asset you are.. These associates and co-workers need this to feel important. I have worked for many top 500 companies.. and only one has been free of open bigot attitude. The problem is always at the top. This employer didn't tolerate it, so it wasn't practiced.