Black People Politics : Is the U.S. government's "Selective Service" system sexist?

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by John Williams, Jul 19, 2014.

1. John Williams

John Williams Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,

....if you have never heard of the U.S. government's "Selective Service" system, it is a system where males must register for potential military conscription. Males between the ages of 18 and 25 must register with Selective Service for some federal programs and benefits, including student loans (such as FAFSA), job training, federal employment, and naturalization. You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Service_System .

Does anyone else find it sexist that only males must register with Selective Service?

2. Deacs

Deacs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +567
    yes.
    its an antiquated system

3. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    i guess it is sexist but there was a reason for it which if i remember right was they needed a list of people they could draft combat troops from - since we werent allowed to be combat troops there was no point having us on the list - last year they said we could be combat troops now so i reckon soon we will need to register to

4. John Williams

Ratings:
    +12
    Peace Sis. Dreya,

Do you think that women should have been required to register, taking non-combat roles, since men had to register?

5. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    i can see that that would make it seem fairer - but the military werent looking for more support troops - the whole point of it was to find combat troops - so what they did might appear sexist - probably even was sexist - but it was a practical solution to the prob they had - course you can also make the sexist argument both ways - as in like yeah men had to register - so its antimen...... but women werent allowed on the front line..... so its antiwomen

6. John Williams

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks, Sis.

7. Deacs

Deacs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +567
    Yes, it was just that... failure to decline registering for selective service meant a reduction of services to the male, while the female citizen which doesn't have to because she is not deemed viable as a soldier yet be a citizen received no punishment... but in fact, received further benefit from the regulations of Affirmative Action for being a minority classified as woman.
    back then they viewed women as a liability and untrustworthy on the front lines or in combat positions. Plus the era when selective service as enacted was misogynistic
    But I am glad to serve with my sisters in the armed forces, in one war and one humanitarian effort. They were equal, trustworthy, and had my back when we went out and patrolled. For any society to say it believes in equality and then treats people differently based on their differences is a negation of what it means to be equal

8. John Williams

Ratings:
    +12
    I agree, Brother. I think that even during the days when women weren't allowed in combat roles, they should have been required to register with Selective Service for non-combat roles. The whole thing screams bloody sexism, to me.

Peace.
    Bro. Williams

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680

You want us signing up to fight wars ... while controlling how we dress ... all at the same time?

you want a lot

:heart:

Destee

10. John Williams

Ratings:
    +12
    Lol well actually I don't "want." The Black woman is the woman of God and not the woman of man. Black people have a nature of freedom, justice, and equality (righteousness.) We just are unhappy in a world that is unrighteous.

Peace & Brotherly Love,
    Bro. Williams