Black Spirituality Religion : Is "The Truth" What We Make Of it?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by spicybrown, Oct 28, 2006.

1. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    In light of the recent spiritual discussions here in the Spiritual Forum, I have been compelled to ask one important question: Is there a such thing as multiple truths? Reason being; I skim these parts from time to time, and I am absolutely enthralled of the knowledge and research cited here daily. Quite provoking.

Not to insult any one's intelligence, but is there a possibility that some of these ATR's and/or ancient modes of spirituality are indeed concoctions placed at our disposal in order to confuse/deceive/distract? Could my queries be a prime example or end result of the lack of information available to the common person of African descent, or any person for that matter? Normally I don't yeild to the okey-doke; which is why I can somewhat appreciate the many angles presented. However, as of late, all the newly 'discovered' info posted here is confusing the hell out of me!

~ God or beings of near equivalent divinity look like Swamp Thing.

~ I see our ancestors being revered for having adapted pre-bastardized 'western religions'... later, I see the fabric of those religions scrutinized; disrespected; praised; ripped to shreds, so on & so forth.

~Afrocentricity being questioned

I conclude that MOST of the posters in the Spiritual Forum seek 'truth' and absoluteness, right? Anyhoo, most of us can agree that we are all individuals with varying life experiences; that being said, should we adhere to whichever spiritual base or religion that best accomodates our lifestyles? IS there only one truth? Should people of Afrikan descent adapt a monotheistic lifestyle just for the sake of 'getting along'? Reason I ask is because both spirituality and religion, (historic and current), seem to be our most credible source of 'feel good', and disunity, simultaneously.

PS... pardon any repetitive central points... I think the confusion is settling in!

Peace

2. nibs

nibs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +22
    (spicybrown) - I conclude that MOST of the posters in the Spiritual Forum seek 'truth' and absoluteness, right? Anyhoo, most of us can agree that we are all individuals with varying life experiences; that being said, should we adhere to whichever spiritual base or religion that best accomodates our lifestyles? IS there only one truth? Should people of Afrikan descent adapt a monotheistic lifestyle just for the sake of 'getting along'? Reason I ask is because both spirituality and religion, (historic and current), seem to be our most credible source of 'feel good', and disunity, simultaneously.

there is one truth, but the truth should be the basis of religion and not thet goal. religion should be empowering; and allow one to connect with god.
    i disagree with doctrines of superstition, doctrines that place false limits on god..etc.

thus i agree with you that there are multiple paths that lead to a good place, and i would add that there are no less than 3 paths that lead nowhere. or backwards.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    Sister Spicybrown,

I will attempt to answer what I view as the most important part of your post as I am trying to move forward without provoking further reaction from a handful of people.

"Should people of Afrikan descent adapt a monotheistic lifestyle just for the sake of 'getting along'?

My answer to this question is :censored: NO!

Let me explain it this way which requires me asking you a few questions myself.

Have you traced your Ancestry?
    Do you KNOW who YOUR Ancestors are, their BLOODLINE, their Customs, their Spiritual or Religious FAITH?

For me everything begins with a hierarchy,

Ancestors
    Elders
    Self
    Children

So, most religions have an Ancestor (i.e. GOD) or Ancestors (i.e. Ennead, Nommo, Uncle Jimmy) as their principle object of WORSHIP.

Why WORSHIP an ancestral Spirit that may have been an Enemy of YOUR Ancestors?

For example, why should I praise a God whose Priesthood plotted and conspired against one of MY DIRECT Ancestors?

Personally, It is my OPINION (What I Think) that one takes from what one is exposed to and learns from what EXPERIENCE one has and moves forward taking the most positive experiences and lessons learned from those experiences to "re-make" One Self in "THEIR OWN IMAGE of One Self.

Personally, I (again) do NOT profess any one, particular Religion or "mystic tradition".

I am presently studying the Dogon, Sumerian and Chinese (Book of Changes) and find Harmonay and Balance in each one and am moving forward to re-store Order in MY OWN LIFE.

At the SAME time, I am not going to go against the SPIRITUAL WILL of MY Ancestors.

If MY Ancestors WILL leads me to reject new age spirituality then I am NOT going to give into 'peer pressure' that goes agains My Ancestral Spirits.

For this is the road to Spiritual Death....

4. nibs

nibs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +22
    (omowalejabali) - For example, why should I praise a God whose Priesthood plotted and conspired against one of MY DIRECT Ancestors?

the corruption of the priesthood does not tarnish the truth that is the god. the great god amun is the god of the south. amun is the god of kush. akhenaten's reforms of the priesthood to end corruption went too far.

you are allowing politics to somehow bias spirituality. to honor the great god amun is completely divorced from a priesthood that became corrupt.

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    This post is a perfect example of what I am talking about. It is an example of how some people try to FORCE their beliefs upon others. It is an example of limited and subjective thinking which attempts to bind others of their own Spiritual Development.

Why should I be FORCED to recognize, let alone WORSHIP a god which has no meaning and no relevance to MY OWN Spiritual Growth and development?

Again, if MY Ancestors' SPIRITUAL WILL is that "I" reject this "god" then it is my responsibility to follow MY Spiritual Hierarchy, MY Ancestors which Guide Me on MY Spiritual Journey.

For sure, I am not going to INVOKE a demonic Spiritual Force into MY Spiritual Realm because Others say so.

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    Notice how this person did not even attempt to answer ONE question posed by Sister Spicybrown but came directly at me instead.

I am sure this is evidence of the type of behavior that I have mentioned elsewhere.

The FACT that a handful of people continue to act in this manner says something about their own Spirituality.

7. spicybrown

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Thank You Brothers Nibs & Omowale

note: @Omowale, no, I haven't traced my Afrikan ancestry. I have two 'bloodlines'. As far as the majority Afrikanness; from the looks of it, I would say they hail from Nigeria. It would be nice to gain an depth knowledge though.

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    I suggest devoting One Self to intensive and extensive Family History Research as a Way of Life. You can not go by what you THINK is "the majority Afrikanness" but by the actual DNA/genetic makeup of YOU which also has a Spiritual component.

I strongly have a Practice of Observing the Traditions of MY family and synthesizing the most positive of these elements and this also entails accepting some elemnts which maybe difficult to accept but I look at it this way.

If MY Ancestors are indeed Guiding MY Spiritual Development then I recognize the Spiritual Warfare that I am presently engaged in is ONE AND THE SAME that they were engaged in or that I was engaged in during A PREVIOUS INCARNATION.

Again, I do NOT trust, have no loyalty to, or submit to demonic spiritual forces which are against the Spiritual Will of MY Ancestors.

In my case, the FAMILY Tradition on My Mother's side states that OUE Ancestors were "Sailors from Ethiopia" and they survived in New Orleans for hundreds of years with that KNOWLEDGE, and developed their own "Familial tradition" based upon that KNOWLEDGE.

This is why I refer to My Self basically as "Ethiopian".

jmho,
    Om.

9. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    Hi Spicy,
    If I can help…..

What are you confused about?

10. spicybrown

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hi Music,

The varying angles of ATR's presented here. The bits and pieces of one poster's 'research' coflicting with the next poster's 'research'. Do you think Spirituality is subjective?