Black People : IS THE GRASS GREENER FOR OTHER PEOPLES OF COLOR???

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    For those who automatically think, YES with a capital "Y", why do you "believe" this??? Do you have empiracal proof to substantiate your beliefs?

The reason I am asking this question is because, it seems, I am always reading from African people the rosiest of opinions about other people, and how their lives appear when they are in our midst... How do we know what goes on behind THEIR closed doors, and why do we assume it's so wonderful?

Once I saw a documentary on the young Chinese in New York's Chinatown. I was stunned when in the first half of the doc a young Chinese woman related how it makes young Chinese men feel when they date a White guy... She giggled her pleasure as she related how jealous and angry it made them... She also flat out said that these young men see White man as being "better" than themselves, and based on what I have seen in these parts, with young Chinese guys dying their hair blond and brown, I have no reason to doubt her personal tales...

I once, also, presented a Times magazine story about self-hatred in India here at Destees... The article dealt with how Indians generally will elevate a lighter-skinned movie actress or actor to God-like status, and hold them as their standard for beauty... And, of course, we know what time it is in Latin America, and on spanish-language television... They still show us cookin' White folks in big black pots with kindling wood underneath, at Telemundo...

This post is about us looking a more deeply into ourselves, and the way the world ticks... African people have some strongly-held misconceptions about other people, and we need to get clear that we aren't the only people who suffer and deal with the holocaust of White Supremacy... One of my favorite strongly-held misconceptions is the notion that foreigners get loans to start business as soon as they get off the boat(smile!) I wanna know from WHOM they get these loans??? Is it the government of the United States giving out these loans to foreigners without a credit line??? PROVE THAT...

These foreigners have something we don't have, and there's no substitute for and it's called UNITY...and a lottery system of extending LOANS that must be paid back to sustain the organization that granted the loan... But, of course, when you don't trust one another to set up such an organization, it seems unfathomable that others could or would DARE do such a thing... Hence, the fantastical notion that this country, which gives people nothing but a hard way to go, would GIVE these folks fresh off the boat hundreds of thousands of dollars to start a business...

There are other crazy claims made by us that I will mention when I get a chance, but the point is, it seems we feel everyone in the world has it better than we do... Ironically, other immigrants, including most those that look like us, feel WE have it a lot easier than they do... The truth is probably somewhere in the middle on that, but nevertheless, it begs the question, why do African Americans believe others have it so good, and we are the cursed and the damned???

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't think the grass is greener, but I think other groups exercise their options more than we do economically. To me, that makes all the difference in the world. We have the ability to apply for grants, loans and everything that other groups have, but we seem to put or energy and time into things that don't change our standard of living and position in society. Every group has their problems. That's given. What matters is what you do to solve that problem and transform it into something positive.

As far as relationships, I know people of many races and ethnicities, and none are without their problems. I know asians, whites, hispanics with children out of wedlock and are single mothers. I've seen just as many non-black people using food stamps and participating in degrading acts like drugs, prostitution and whatever else people feel in exclusive to black people. I think black people tend to feel like we are the only ones with problems, but every group has their share of issues.

I think the thing is, other people take themselves a lot more serious than we do. They want desperately to succeed and surpass economically and politically. We seem like we're on cruise-control most of the time, until something goes drastically wrong. Then we're outraged for a quick minute...then it's right back to business as usual.

3. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    is the grass greener...

good post,but all i can say is that while many[outsiders]work two or three jobs to make ends meet,i still find it strange that some folks can come over here[america]not know a single word of english and get a job at a major location[colleges,department stores,ect.]i mean if you can't speak the language then you can't read it,so who fills out the job applications[i already know the answer]i think that it's too much of that sort of thing going on,but i will say this,people from other lands tend to look out for thier own alot better then we do,and if they get in a position of power[hire and fire]we can[FORGET]about getting in that door.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

My brother, OLDIES, you answered your own question... These other groups exercise a unity we African Americans in this era are totally unfamiliar with, and that's why doors are opened to them that remain closed to us.. For example, JEWS have incredibly powerful and efficient social service agencies that, yes, enable them to collect a welfare check damned near before the plane hits the runway... That is a truth which may serve to inform why African Americans feel that the government is giving them loans... In fact, it is their social service mahine that arranges it all, and as we know, JEWS are very powerful politically and economically... They are a group which has it tentacles in everything around the world, and with their population at like on 16-17-million around the world, they are more powerful than a billion Africans... That's why I don't get too upset that Latinos outnumber us...(smile!) Numbers don't mean nothing unless ya know how to use 'em, and Latinos don't... But seriously, JEWS are a group that we should study closely...

The business loan lottery is an invention of the Koreans, which is why they can, and do, open up so many green grocers... Our brothers from the islands of the Caribbean, use the SOU SOU, and old African tradition, to spread the wealth around so that they can purchase houses, or a van to taxi folks around, and make a dollar... Here in Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Queens, African caribbean brothers fulfilled a need for transportation in the community by using their personal cars until they could buy a passenger van.. It was all illegal at first, but they and the community fought to get them recognized as a viable business in NYC... BTW, the SOU SOU is also a sort of lottery, where each participant gets to collect a sum of money agreed upon by the group in their turn... Ones' "turn" to collect is based upon the number one randomly selects according to the number of participants...

Immigrants are drawn together tighly because of a sense that they have ONLY themselves to depend on... They have no government, and in many cases no family or relatives as a safety net... That is what DRIVES them to achieve, that wolf at the door... As African Americans we once HAD that wolf at the door, and it was called Jim Crow Segregation... It pushed us to own things we relinquished when the wolf got smart, and decided our money was more important than to him than keeping us outside his businesses... Some say it was not worth it to give up that hunger and unity for a seat on the white man's bus, or a sandwich at his lunch counter... I tend to agree...

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,729
    it is a given.......

every other ethnic is far better then we are.
    they are all smarter and work harder and get up earlier and do better than black people do.
    each and every one of them.

6. Africana

Africana Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +9
    JamesfromPhilly: It's sad to hear you say that, but that is not true. I know lazy people from all walks of life and I know people who are hard working. Nearly every person in my family is hard working and we are all black. To say that everyone works harder than blacks is an outright lie. People work hard period, people are lazy..period.

7. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Honestly, I think it is both yes and no.

Other people of color have physical characteristics that are less threatening to a racist mindset; straight(er) hair and/or lighter skin. This is combined with how SOME of them kiss butt in the name of 'assimilation.' This puts them at an advatnage for hiring similar to how it has been discussed in another thread black women are at an advantage in the workplace because of their gender. In the long run, it is not good to lose identity to be the white man's 'second best.'

As far as accomplishments... other POCs aren't doing anything we can't do. In fact, African immigrants are exceling at the same rate as them, but that's something the media ain't going to focus on. Anyway, as Isaiah said they start businesses by drawing money from within the community, plus many of them were already better off to begin with in their homelands. They place a high value on education, (at least Asians and Africans... don't know about Hispanics). If one of their youth succeeds in school, that's uplifting their community, not being seen as 'white'. Economically they keep assests flowing within the community; they hire their own, they support their own. They also take advantage of entreprenurial ventures that some of us don't want to take advantage of.

I think it's best to learn from what they are doing... not hate ALL, unless an individual is doing something racist... nor should we think their life is a panecea because it isn't. And don't think it's a yellow or brown thing because there are African immigrants achieving too.

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,729
    i was being sarcastic......every ethnic group comes here to benefit from the open environment that black people created.
    if they were really all that they would not have to immigrate here they would be able to stay at home and make it.

9. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Brother I to answer your question I think it is greener for other peoples of color because the Europeans did not psychologically divide and conquer them as the Americans did us.

Our people are divided by plan, not by choice in my opinion, and if you notice any attempts of the unification of our people ended in deaths of the key unifiers, where as other peoples of color did not suffer the same type of social destruction as we did to an extent.

If you study colonization of peoples of color, you will find that the American episide was the most socialogical and psychologically devasting in the period.

What is amazing is how we still survived this onslaught, yet what is sad is that they stripped us of your unity, and that major stripping point was the 1964 civil rights bill.

10. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I think Blacks here constantly hear about what's wrong with this country whereas other groups hear about what's right in this country.

The result is that the "wrong" that we've been constantly told about becomes a big part of our attitude and a person's attitude about anything usually determines success or failure with that thing.

Also we tend to associate with other Blacks who have also been taught about the wrong and they reinforce our view about all of the wrong.

Other groups associate with people like themselves whose attitudes are more positive so they have more positive views and get more positive results here.