Black Spirituality Religion : Is the divine name "Yahweh" ordinarily the best way for Christians to speak of God?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by delsydebothom, Oct 29, 2009.

1. delsydebothom

delsydebothom Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +25
    Is the divine name "Yahweh" ordinarily the best way for Christians to speak of God? I ask because I'm sure very few people would even call their biological father by his first name. The reason for this is, I think, respect, and recognition of the just authority that a father has within his relationship with his children.

There's a second thing to consider as well: when the Jews first translated their Scriptures into Greek, they chose to translate the Divine Name as "Kyrios", i.e., "Lord". This practice was meant to place a hedge around God's name, so that it could not easily be profaned. Much of the theological significance of applying the title "Lord" to Jesus seems to be lost when, in modern translations and speech, the Divine Name is transliterated.

So is calling God by his given name the best practice? Or is it too casual? Certainly God is our friend, but he is not our little friend.

Can an argument be made in the other direction? Pax!

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Truth!

delsydebothom,

Keep in mind delsydebothom, we are also given these as names: I AM, and also this: I AM THAT I AM. Futhermore, here is what we do know, and that is that we don't know. Other than what we are given as his Word, which is to say the Word of God, we simply just don't know...Peace In my brother friend.

3. delsydebothom

Ratings:
    +25
    I think, then, that both you and I agree that the Bible is God's word. Would you agree, though, that points to other sources of God's word other than itself? For instance, St. Paul in Romans 1:19-20 declares that God can be known through creation. In 2nd Thessalonians 2:15, St. Paul says, "Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the traditions which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle...", implying that Christians are obliged to believe everything St. Paul said, not just what he wrote. Most importantly, Jesus Himself is identified as the "Word of God" par excellence in the Prologue of St. John's Gospel.

At the same time, the we receive God's word from the Bible only when we understand it correctly. I'm sure you've experienced the disagreements that show that this is often easier said than done.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

delsydebothom,

We have no disagreement here, it is exactly as you have said. The terms omnipotent, omniscient, aseity and others only point to what I have said in my initial response, delsydebothom; at the end of the day, we only know what the Word tells us about God.

Unfortunately, it is not for all to understand God's word from the bible by receiving it correctly,as you say...Peace In my brother friend.

5. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    i swore the fathers name was jehovah =/

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

We are talking paradigms MiKe.

7. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    seems to me that when you call the creator one name, and it comes from one peoples language...

we tend to think that one race or people to be superior over others...

my question is...

would the creator NOT love you just the same, and comfort if you cried out

to it through tears, there are times so tough that you cannot even speak due to being in such turmoil, despair, heartache...

so can you still be heard?

or is not knowing the specific name...

a technicality?:10500:

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

Excellent points, Josef, excellent indeed, for real!

9. delsydebothom

Ratings:
    +25
    It depends upon how you point the Hebrew consonants. To be perfectly accurate, "j" was another form of "i" when "Jehovah" was proposed, so "Iehovah" would be more accurate. The "v" in Jehovah is based upon one possible pronunciation of the Hebrew ו --viz. pronouncing it as a consonant. From a phonetic point of view, the English "w", used in "Yahweh" is a diphthong, even if alphabetically it is a consonant. In Latin, you would have written the "w" sound as "ua". But phonetically, the best Latin transliteration of "Yahweh" would be "Iaue".

Since we do not know how Hebrew was pronounced at the time of Moses, we will probably never know the correct way of pronouncing The Name.

10. delsydebothom

Ratings:
    +25
    If I worded what I said in such as way as to give the impression that I believed God would reject someone because of what they call him, then I worded it poorly. My question was more about what the best, most reverent way of referring to God is, not about God's openness to everyone who seeks him with a humble and contrite heart. God's openness to all stems from his infinite charity, which he exercised in bringing each and every one us into existence. He is love, after all!