Black People : Is the Black economy built on vanity and insecurity?

what are you talking about, they own every grocery store in every Black neighborhood in Harlem, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten island and the Bronx, in fact they are the main franchisers of Key Food, and what about the Koreans and Dominicans?

they open businessess without having to go to white banks and will do quite well when the economy collapses while we will be at each others necks scrambling at thread bare shelves for food, because we did not unite to prepare for the ovious.

We had the same hatred for the jewish store owners as well but if someone is using a system of collective economics that works, all the hatred in the world will not stop it from working.

The reason why we do not have stores of self sufficiency is because when we do open them we are forced to charge a few cents more becuase of the wholesale purchasing, pecking order that occurs from food terminals, a bit of research would show that.
When we charge more , we have no solidarity to buy only Black and we simply go were our dollar can be stretched the most.

Sometimes it is good to look at the south, the East coast were the larger masses of Black folks live, to really understand the situation with Black stores, folks open up businesses where they feel they have a niche market , like the ones mentioned i the initial post, and this has to do with consumer preffrence and nothing to do with vanity or lack of self esteem
Take a look at the cities and states with thel argets Black population and one will seethe aforementioned pattern.

In the 6 or so blocks Between High Street and 35th Avenue here in Oakland,
there are 9 different hair shops. All of the Hair shops are owned and
operated by American African men and women. Their are also 6 clothing stores.
All owned and operated by American African men and women. And all of these
stores are beautiful, like movie sets.. Their are also 5 Nail shops, all Korean and
Chinese owned.. All of these shops are surviving.. all full of AA folks.

anyway.. it's nice to see because there were hardly any AA businesses on this
street when I was a kid. My concern is that it seems that our entire economy
is built on things that are the result of damage created by enslavement: vanity
and insecurity (and unhealthy food). So, is it really progress to have all of these
businesses?​

My boyfriend lives in Oakland and he is constantly telling me how much culture there is to see there...

As far as having a business...Owning a business is great for the African-American community...I don't see how it is a negative thing. Would it not be worse if we could not own our own business?

what about the Koreans and Dominicans?

they open businessess without having to go to white banks

The reason why we do not have stores of self sufficiency is because when we do open them we are forced to charge a few cents more becuase of the wholesale purchasing, pecking order that occurs from food terminals, a bit of research would show that.

And opening businesses without using the banks is a bad thing? There is a culture reason for doing so, at least in the DR. Interest rates here are so high for loans, everyone is used to either saving their money for startup, for going from small to larger. They also employee family and reinvest the money into the business.

Why would you be forced to charge more than the Koreans and Dominicans? Are you required to pay more for the product? Then you need to get together for mass purchase. Something we learned from the Chinese here on the Island, and moved to NY.

Have to agree with skuderjaymes when your name comes up its kind of an automatic turn off.

In the 6 or so blocks Between High Street and 35th Avenue here in Oakland,
there are 9 different hair shops. All of the Hair shops are owned and
operated by American African men and women. Their are also 6 clothing stores.
All owned and operated by American African men and women. And all of these
stores are beautiful, like movie sets.. Their are also 5 Nail shops, all Korean and
Chinese owned.. All of these shops are surviving.. all full of AA folks.

anyway.. it's nice to see because there were hardly any AA businesses on this
street when I was a kid. My concern is that it seems that our entire economy
is built on things that are the result of damage created by enslavement: vanity
and insecurity (and unhealthy food). So, is it really progress to have all of these
businesses?​

I would say that american culture is built on vanity and insecurity

I wouldn't consider it progress, perhaps time turning over if you will, but nah not progress

I truly feel that contentment supersedes progress because in contentment there is peace, and with progress there is a continuous need-

But hey where does contentment begin?

I don't know too many of my peeps that don't know how to get doe

I just know too many that let other people determine what is valuable to them

Determining wealth as a community seems a tiresome task because it seems we "value" everything then the actual feeling of "community"

I would even say regress as opposed to progress

It seems that all nations will stand together in tragedy, but it light of a winner it's survival of the fittest.... backwards!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back