Black People : Is the Black economy built on vanity and insecurity?

I hear that.. and these shops that I mentioned are doing just that.. they
employ black folks.. their customers are black folks.. it's all in the family..
the question becomes is all business good business? does the growth of
50 cents publishing company really mean progress for our people? Does
a black owned nationwide chain of affordable hair weave shops mean progress..
or does it just mean money.. ?? I really don't know.. because, financial
empowerment is very important for those families in those businesses.. and
those customers truly feel better after they get their hair done.. they feel
cuter.. happier.. better.. it seems to be a win-win.. but what if white
supremacy never came? and we didn't have these issues with our appearance..
and we didn't eat this unhealthy food..?? It's like, we are indirectly living off
of what white folks did to us... and I agree it has a sadomasochistic kind of
ring to it..
if white supremacy was not here Black folks would be able to open grocery stores, drug stores, stationary stores and stores of necessity rather then luxuries, because unlike today theywould shop froml, Blacks instead of the supermarket and drug store chains they ferequent now.

We do not have the financial infrastructure to compete wirth the Arabs and Dominicans who run such stores in our community.

These people have collective economics programs within their particular ethnic group and Yemeni grocery store owners, have networks across the 50 states

When will we as a Black folks simply apply what obviously works?

if white supremacy was not here Black folks would be able to open grocery stores, drug stores, stationary stores and stores of necessity rather then luxuries, because unlike today theywould shop froml, Blacks instead of the supermarket and drug store chains they ferequent now.

We do not have the financial infrastructure to compete wirth the Arabs and Dominicans who run such stores in our community.

These people have collective economics programs within their particular ethnic group and Yemeni grocery store owners, have networks across the 50 states

When will we as a Black folks simply apply what obviously works?

yemeni grocery stores sell liquor, cigarettes and swishers for blunts.. everything
else in the store is just for show.. they are parasites.. and their is nothing
about that to admire.. nothing.

I hear that.. and these shops that I mentioned are doing just that.. they
employ black folks.. their customers are black folks.. it's all in the family..
the question becomes is all business good business? does the growth of
50 cents publishing company really mean progress for our people? Does
a black owned nationwide chain of affordable hair weave shops mean progress..
or does it just mean money.. ?? I really don't know.. because, financial
empowerment is very important for those families in those businesses.. and
those customers truly feel better after they get their hair done.. they feel
cuter.. happier.. better.. it seems to be a win-win.. but what if white
supremacy never came? and we didn't have these issues with our appearance..
and we didn't eat this unhealthy food..?? It's like, we are indirectly living off
of what white folks did to us... and I agree it has a sadomasochistic kind of
ring to it..[/
QUOTE]

I truly feel that a large part of the economic world is profiting off of the 'Black condition', 'Post Traumatic Slavery Disorder'...we have a few names for it. How many other groups do we know who buy packets of hair to stick on their heads?? We know that others with 'European' hair have started doing this too, but I believe that our reasons for doing this are far more complex and deep-rooted. Lighten our skin when others want to tan?? madness! Putting acid on our scalps to deaden our hair? What about putting coloured discs of plastic on our pupils to attain an eye colour that's not black/brown? Like I said, I can view this objectively, I will never cast judgement on a sister or brother for opting to use these products...never. I understand something of the origins of these sub/unconscious/conscious self- perceptions...I relaxed my hair from the age af 11 to 24, I wore weaves and even hazel contacts at one time...I just decided that enough was enough and I wanted to break this 'cycle' for my unborn childrens' sake, so they can embrace their natural selves; I began to despise putting money into these businesses that profit from our peoples' insecurities.

Touching on what Chuck said...I do feel that in some instances in our community, too many....economic 'success' or 'strength' for one, does not equate to the same for the whole community...some are not interested in using their economic/educational/whatever status to uplift the rest of the community...some refer to these people as the 'Black Bourgeousie' the upper/middle classes who want to 'remove' themselves from the community, despite having the capability to help uplift and fortify it. So as far as 50 Cent goes...well, we'll see...has he done anything for his community thus far? I'm not a fan LOL :D

Hotep

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back