Black People : Is the Black economy built on vanity and insecurity?

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
In the 6 or so blocks Between High Street and 35th Avenue here in Oakland,
there are 9 different hair shops. All of the Hair shops are owned and
operated by American African men and women. Their are also 6 clothing stores.
All owned and operated by American African men and women. And all of these
stores are beautiful, like movie sets.. Their are also 5 Nail shops, all Korean and
Chinese owned.. All of these shops are surviving.. all full of AA folks.

anyway.. it's nice to see because there were hardly any AA businesses on this
street when I was a kid. My concern is that it seems that our entire economy
is built on things that are the result of damage created by enslavement: vanity
and insecurity (and unhealthy food). So, is it really progress to have all of these
businesses?​

stores are beautiful, like movie sets.. Their are also 5 Nail shops, all Korean and

and insecurity (and unhealthy food). So, is it really progress to have all of these
businesses?​

Hotep Bro...

As far as the hair shops are concerned, AA owned or not, the money that we pour into them ultimately go toward lining the pockets of these multinational companies which solely capitalise and profit off of the conscious or un/sub-conscious dissatisfaction with our Afrikan image, which as you quite rightly said, is an enduring legacy of slavery. If we stopped seeking out the weave, relaxer, etc globally, today...these companies virtually would go bust overnight. We have that power collectively!! I'm not about to cast judgements over those who purchase these products...I was one of them until just over a year ago! It's the same situation over here in the UK too, but most of these shops are Asian-owned...we're pulling the plug on our collective economy due to reliance on these 'services' from others who profit from our reliance...we hand money over grudgingly because we know it doesn't benefit our community, it lines 'their' pockets while they laugh at us behind closed doors (or even out in the open)...but we 'need' a weave, we 'need' a relaxer...it's like a sadistic relationship, 'abuser/abusee'...the sooner we break this dependency the better, I say...

HOTEP!

businesses?​
I used to not see further then my nose also

There is a comic book character in Batman called 2 face

The only thing was he thought he was the only one.

And after integration when so many bougie negros thought race was an ambiguity, they stopped supporting Black financial institutions,

anmd now the Koreans have Korean institutions, and the Yemenis have Arab, financial institutions, underround, and the Sri Lankans and Bangladeshis have collective economics, we sit here and say Black Nationalism aint schidt and wonder why we do not see Black grocery stores, drug stores, laundromats, fish stores, and fruit and vegetable establishments, cause guess what,
those mom and pop operations that provided those services during the 100 years of Jim Crow, from generation to generation, went out of business cause the folks who said race is now an ambiguity , now we can sit on a toilet next to our white freinds,

forgot sbout those shops as being old hat and flocked to the white man's "colder ice" because it was something they wre deprived of for so long.

Hotep Bro...

As far as the hair shops are concerned, AA owned or not, the money that we pour into them ultimately go toward lining the pockets of these multinational companies which solely capitalise and profit off of the conscious or un/sub-conscious dissatisfaction with our Afrikan image, which as you quite rightly said, is an enduring legacy of slavery. If we stopped seeking out the weave, relaxer, etc globally, today...these companies virtually would go bust overnight. We have that power collectively!! I'm not about to cast judgements over those who purchase these products...I was one of them until just over a year ago! It's the same situation over here in the UK too, but most of these shops are Asian-owned...we're pulling the plug on our collective economy due to reliance on these 'services' from others who profit from our reliance...we hand money over grudgingly because we know it doesn't benefit our community, it lines 'their' pockets while they laugh at us behind closed doors (or even out in the open)...but we 'need' a weave, we 'need' a relaxer...it's like a sadistic relationship, 'abuser/abusee'...the sooner we break this dependency the better, I say...

HOTEP!

yeah.. it's interesting.. it's like we are the basis for the entire economy..
convince us that we are ugly then sell us beauty.. convince us that we are
dumb then sell us education.. convince that we are backward and sell us
forward.. that we are darkness and sell us light.. that we are bored and
sell us entertainment.. If we stood up and shook all that stuff off, I think
the US would fall into a permanent depression..

yeah.. it's interesting.. it's like we are the basis for the entire economy..
convince us that we are ugly then sell us beauty.. convince us that we are
dumb then sell us education.. convince that we are backward and sell us
forward.. that we are darkness and sell us light.. that we are bored and
sell us entertainment.. If we stood up and shook all that stuff off, I think
the US would fall into a permanent depression..

Yeah I read an interesting statistic once, about Afrikan Americans being among the biggest consumers in the US, despite representing one of the smaller percentages of the whole population, the figures were very disproportionate...can't remember where I saw it though....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back