Black People : Is the Black economy built on vanity and insecurity?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by skuderjaymes, Jan 17, 2010.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    In the 6 or so blocks Between High Street and 35th Avenue here in Oakland,
    there are 9 different hair shops. All of the Hair shops are owned and
    operated by American African men and women. Their are also 6 clothing stores.
    All owned and operated by American African men and women. And all of these
    stores are beautiful, like movie sets.. Their are also 5 Nail shops, all Korean and
    Chinese owned.. All of these shops are surviving.. all full of AA folks.

anyway.. it's nice to see because there were hardly any AA businesses on this
    street when I was a kid. My concern is that it seems that our entire economy
    is built on things that are the result of damage created by enslavement: vanity
    and insecurity (and unhealthy food). So, is it really progress to have all of these
    businesses? ​

2. enquiring_mind

enquiring_mind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +198
    Hotep Bro...

As far as the hair shops are concerned, AA owned or not, the money that we pour into them ultimately go toward lining the pockets of these multinational companies which solely capitalise and profit off of the conscious or un/sub-conscious dissatisfaction with our Afrikan image, which as you quite rightly said, is an enduring legacy of slavery. If we stopped seeking out the weave, relaxer, etc globally, today...these companies virtually would go bust overnight. We have that power collectively!! I'm not about to cast judgements over those who purchase these products...I was one of them until just over a year ago! It's the same situation over here in the UK too, but most of these shops are Asian-owned...we're pulling the plug on our collective economy due to reliance on these 'services' from others who profit from our reliance...we hand money over grudgingly because we know it doesn't benefit our community, it lines 'their' pockets while they laugh at us behind closed doors (or even out in the open)...but we 'need' a weave, we 'need' a relaxer...it's like a sadistic relationship, 'abuser/abusee'...the sooner we break this dependency the better, I say...

HOTEP!

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    I used to not see further then my nose also

There is a comic book character in Batman called 2 face

The only thing was he thought he was the only one.

And after integration when so many bougie negros thought race was an ambiguity, they stopped supporting Black financial institutions,

anmd now the Koreans have Korean institutions, and the Yemenis have Arab, financial institutions, underround, and the Sri Lankans and Bangladeshis have collective economics, we sit here and say Black Nationalism aint schidt and wonder why we do not see Black grocery stores, drug stores, laundromats, fish stores, and fruit and vegetable establishments, cause guess what,
    those mom and pop operations that provided those services during the 100 years of Jim Crow, from generation to generation, went out of business cause the folks who said race is now an ambiguity , now we can sit on a toilet next to our white freinds,

forgot sbout those shops as being old hat and flocked to the white man's "colder ice" because it was something they wre deprived of for so long.

4. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    yeah.. it's interesting.. it's like we are the basis for the entire economy..
    convince us that we are ugly then sell us beauty.. convince us that we are
    dumb then sell us education.. convince that we are backward and sell us
    forward.. that we are darkness and sell us light.. that we are bored and
    sell us entertainment.. If we stood up and shook all that stuff off, I think
    the US would fall into a permanent depression..

5. enquiring_mind

Ratings:
    +198
    Yeah I read an interesting statistic once, about Afrikan Americans being among the biggest consumers in the US, despite representing one of the smaller percentages of the whole population, the figures were very disproportionate...can't remember where I saw it though....

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    then how does one view

the concept , the Black Nationalist concept of Collective economics?

7. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    man, go start a thread about that and stop trying to run interference over
    here.. folks see your name on a thread and they won't even answer.. go away.

8. enquiring_mind

Ratings:
    +198
    My deduction is that we obviously have a massive amount of spending power collectively if it is sufficient to subsidise the economy of the US, or the UK say, in the way it does in various areas, as mentioned by Bro Skuderjaymes...so we should endeavour to keep that economic power within our own communities as far as possible, and not 'leak' it elsewhere! I heard that in some communities, such as the Jewish community, on average every pound/dollar/whatever passes through the hands of at least 12-15 other business owners within that community, before it is 'lost' to the 'outside'...I take my hat off to them...that's what it's all about.

Hotep

9. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    why the attitude brother

just a simple question.

If you say Black folks are vain and insecure,
    the least one can do is post a solution or look at solutions presented in the past,

why the hatred?

10. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    First of all:

Good to hear and know where there is...

Second of all:

At least you know and understand what the nature of the issues and problems are!

Let's take it from there...

My take is we as individuals tend to take the easy way(s) out, tend to identify ourselves in terms of one dimensional (self serving) relationships to each other, on the "what's it this for me' side, have short term expectations and few long term goals, i. e., don't really see or consider ourselves need or wanting to contribute, as in contributors to the betterment and upkeep of the neighborhoods etc. we merely live in the midst of, etc.

Most who have the means and ways just choose to make and spend the dough, while expecting somebody else to maintain the rest of it all for us,
    i. e., which is why some of the usual comments and criticisms-- about what other groups are allegedly or really doing for themselves--but black folk allegedly aren't-- (or won't)--do come across on the no action/all talk level as well...

Instead:

As always?

Let those who air such comments and criticisms also realize and recognize suchlike can and should be directed at and about them too...

It's like that...

And that's the way it is...

:fyi: